Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream71 View Post
If sway is a problem, and you have the cash, invest in a Hensley Arrow Hitch. I've heard great things about them, and they're guaranteed to eliminate sway completely. Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated...Guaranteed
I am not into fixing a trailer design problem with an expensive hitch...and one that's a pain in the ass to hook up,at that.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtskinner View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on the 2912 myself. Right now my biggest hang up is the ceiling vents. Without a ladder, they are useless. Not too concerned about all 3 but the one in the bathroom has to be easily accessible.

We have negotiated a price of $29,900 without a generator. They won't budge on the $4000 price of the generator and I'm about to say go for it because I don't want to and don't know how to install it myself. I could get one on Amazon prime for $3157 but the dealer won't budge on his price. Even though I feel like I would be overpaying for it, I can't do anything about it.

As for the ceiling vents, I'm going to ask them to replace all three with the fan-tastic remote vents at no additional cost to me.

Very interested in all of your opinions on my price, the generator, the ceiling vents, and anything else you can add that may help me in my final negotiations.

Oh yeah, this dealer also does not charge for freight and only has a $200prep fee which I am thinking of telling them I don't need. It supposedly buys a sewer hose, an electric adapter, a 12 v battery and fills the 2 lap tanks.
Gunny
We pick our 2912 up tomorrow! We are so excited. Our dealer is installing two batteries and we went with the generator as well. I'll be pulling it with a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 cummins and using an equalizer brand hitch. Hopefully I won't experience as much sway as some have. Our sale price before taxes and interest was $36.999 and that's with the Onan 4000 generator and two marine batteries. They're also going to adjust my equalizer hitch and transfer the tongue brackets from my old tt to the new one free.
JParcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Torque is heartland, Stryker is cruiser. Guess who owns Cruiser now? Cruiser was bought by Heartland and both are owned by Thor.
Indeed. Heartland acquired Cruiser early this year.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParcic View Post
We pick our 2912 up tomorrow! We are so excited. Our dealer is installing two batteries and we went with the generator as well. I'll be pulling it with a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 cummins and using an equalizer brand hitch. Hopefully I won't experience as much sway as some have. Our sale price before taxes and interest was $36.999 and that's with the Onan 4000 generator and two marine batteries. They're also going to adjust my equalizer hitch and transfer the tongue brackets from my old tt to the new one free.
What toys will you be hauling?
Old 10-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #47

A 2005 Kawasaki brute force 750 and a 2005 kawasaki brute force 650.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #48

Quote:
We have decided to pull the trigger on the Cruiser Stryker 2912 TT toy hauler. We feel that it is the best value for us. King bed, large shower with doors, 10 gal G/E water heater, 7000 lbs dry, slam latch doors, big tanks, ect. We looked at every toy hauler manufacturer that had available travel trailer floorplans. We liked the Evergreen Amped (too heavy and $$), Weekend Warrior ($14K more), and decided on the Stryker. Signing papers tomorrow. Trading in our Class A MH, and will be our first toy hauler. I intend to haul a golf cart, grills/smokers, bikes, motorcycles, ect. Hope it works out! Thanks for your feedback.
We too liked the Amped toy haulers, especially the elevated kitchen and bedroom and the basement storage was insane for a tt. But for us it was too expensive, plus I would have had to upgrade my hitch to compensate the heavier weight.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #49

Quote:
If sway is a problem, and you have the cash, invest in a Hensley Arrow Hitch. I've heard great things about them, and they're guaranteed to eliminate sway completely. Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated...Guaranteed

Just scored a Hensley on Craigslist for $700. We had a little sway with an 800lb golf cart loaded, so we'll see if this does the trick. I'll give a report when installed.
Jetstream71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParcic View Post

Congratulations! We love our 2912.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
I as well have sway problems with mine. Mine is a 2812 and I believe the tank locations are the same. Water over axels, black and grey both up front and 30 gal gas is behind. It has brackets being tounge for 18gal gen tank but I do not have it and to get weight right I may need it.

Pull mine empty and it pulls fine loaded and it sways. I should not have to purchase a 2500$ hitch to fix a poor design, and I do not want to hear I need to add extra weight to the front to combat this either...once I have proof of a bad tounge weight design I may contact an attorney.

I need to get a tounge scale to know for sure but I am with you these are tounge light. I emailed Cruiser about my sway issue and they replied back, we have many, many of these on the road with no issue...sorry your experiencing problems. That just kinda piss ed me off.
I really liked the Stryker 2812 I saw on the dealers lot. I thought some of the features and storage helped me decide to purchase a Stryker in the spring. However as read about others dealing with sway issue and even though I have an Equalizer hitch, I am now re-thinking about my 2nd choice which is the Attitude 27cbg which has the same floor plan as the 2812. I don't know if Attitudes also have a sway issue, but I haven't read about it yet. Last thing I need is to have sway after spending 36k and loaded up with an XP41000!
mdp2918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 AM   #52

Those of you that have a 2912 or 2812, does the RV tow better when a RZR is backed in so that more of its weight is near the axles? How about storing your heavier items in the front. We like cooking outside and right now I store all of my dutch oven, camp chef, BBQ, table etc in my front hatches. Would continuing to store items like this help with the sway and weight distribution of these trailers?
Old 10-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #53

I can't speak for anyone else here but, as a truck driver, I would always try and center my load over the axles. We picked up our 2912 last night and I've only towed it from the dealership to my house empty and didn't experience any more sway than I'm used to . I'll post an update when I tow it with all our gear and atvs.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:58 AM   #54

My sway was with no wd /sway bars. I did not have the right drop hitch for my system

After returning from my last trip and sway was not terrible but I felt it. I since got my system hooked up, equalizer and towed for a few miles in 20mph cross winds. The unit was very stable. I am making an 8hr run to hatfield and McCoy's trails this weekend...I will know for sure.

My feelings are load over axels and as much tounge weight as you can, tow nose down slightly.
I don't have the optional 18 gal gen tank that is up front. I may add that just for the weight, the I don't have to keep the toy tank full which is behind the axels.

I love the trailer, I will fix the problems 1 way or another...and I would reccomended it to anyone.

I did lots of reading on toyhauler sway...you can read for dayz. The design...they all do it if not set up properly...even desert fox and other high end units.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp2918 View Post
Those of you that have a 2912 or 2812, does the RV tow better when a RZR is backed in so that more of its weight is near the axles? How about storing your heavier items in the front. We like cooking outside and right now I store all of my dutch oven, camp chef, BBQ, table etc in my front hatches. Would continuing to store items like this help with the sway and weight distribution of these trailers?
I've definitely noticed improvement the further forward you can load the weight. Even with an 800 lb golf cart, moving it 5 feet forward made a big difference.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #56

Thanks for the responses on ensuring the loads are properly centered over the axles to reduce sway. I also heard from Stryker as they recommend backing in a RZR to help with placing more weight on the axles.