RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #1

26' Coachmen Catalina, Grey Wolf, Wildwood - Differences?

Greetings! This is my first post here.

I'm looking at making my first travel trailer purchase. I've been tagging along with friends and their bunkhouse TT camping for a few years with my Rightline truck tent over the bed of my Ram, but I'm getting too old for that stuff. Even though I don't expect to haul toys soon, I like the flexibility of the design with the ramp/patio, and large couch seating areas.

I've narrowed it down to three models in stock in my general vicinity (SE Michigan).
- Coachmen Catalina 26TH
- Forest River Grey Wolf 26RR

- Forest River Wildwood 260RT

These all appear to be Forest River built and the floorplans are pretty much identical. The specs vary a bit. I found a reference on one site that the Coachmen is a steel body while the others are wood, but it is difficult to find the real specs. I have two dealers within a few miles of my house with one showing the Catalina at $23K and another with the Grey Wolf at $21K. Another dealer a couple hours away seems to have all three in stock with the same rough internet price of $24K. I have not dealt with any in person yet so those prices are very suspect.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these three models? The Catalina comes with two chairs but that is about the only major difference I see other than colors of the cabinets and floor.

I would also appreciate a review of my tow vehicle. 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman, 5'7" box, CC, 4x4, 3.92 gears. My tow rating is right at 10,000 pounds. I think I'm OK for any of these trailers, but the hitch weight of 957 lb on the Catalina concerns me a bit.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 07:14 AM   #2

Hey Tom92 , I went through same situation a couple years ago. Those haulers are all similar as far as construction and layout. One thing I seem to recall is the Catalina sits up higher so ramp pitch is steeper if loading a bike etc.. but you don't have wheel wells inside of living space like the RR26 , thats why the chairs are in Catalina. That being said the Ram 1500 has the power to pull, but I just upgraded to the 2500. You will need to check your payload weight and with 4x4 I think was less than 4x2 . Once you get the wife ,luggage, grille, and necessary items you are getting up there..... PAYLOAD is the thing..... anyway good luck with choice. I ended up with the RR26 mostly because of loading ramp height.

jumpNjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #3

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...wing.Specs.pdf

may help decision making.
jumpNjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:46 AM   #4

I bought a 26th last year and looked heavily at the 26rr and 260rt. The main thing that sold me on the Catalina(Wine Mixer) was the overall quality. The major components are the same, but the quality of the cabinets and overall fit/finish just seemed better. That and the dealership experience (Jody’s RV) is what sold me on the 26th. We have owned it for 10 months now and are very happy with it.

I pull it with a Ram 2500, but had an F150 w/ the 2.7 when we 1st got it. It pulled it without any issue, but a properly setup WDH is a must.

Feel free to PM me or ask any additional questions.
fireman1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #5

I ended up going with the Catalina 26th even though it was $4000 more than the Grey Wolf 26RR. The craftsmanship did seem better.

For the fold out couches the 26th has solid jacknife brackets and four support legs. The 26RR was really just a piece of plywood with a series of 99 cent hinges screwed into the wall, 2x3 ledger board and two legs with loose cushions.

Both have a wheel well on the passenger side. The 26th is a bit higher but is steel and can be driven on with up to 1200 pounds IIRC. The 26RR is flat and carpeted.

Everything just seemed a bit sturdier in the 26th, ceiling a little higher, etc. I also liked that the bedroom side cabinets didn't extend all the way down to the nightstands - a little less coffin like IMO.

I'm sure I overpaid for the captain's chairs and the TV. The 26RR dealer told me they don't include the TV because their cost is $600 for what is $90 on the street.

They are setting me up with a WD anti-sway hitch - don't recall the model at the moment. Think the only thing I need now is some clip on mirrors since I have the standard folding ones on the truck. I take delivery tomorrow and will be on the first adventure Thursday.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm sure I'll be back for more.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, coachmen