Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2021, 10:58 PM   #1

3 A/C Smart Mgmt System ???

we've been ful timing for over 5 years now with only 1- 15k a/c unit in our 33' fiver. Were going to start a new build of a 48' fiver with the 3- a/c units all 15k with heat pumps and ducted. I know some folks change the wiring so they will all run at once but I don't want to mess with the wiring as long as it's under warranty. Can anybody explain to me on how the smart mgmt system works? I know each unit is a zone 1-3 and will always run 2 units at a time and switching between all 3 to chill the coach evenly were needed at the time. If all a/c units are ducted how does a warmer setting upstairs not travel through the duct work and affect the cooler setting in the living and garage and visa versa and equalize the air and never shut off. Is there a way to just have it blow your set temperature in your zone only without affecting the others? I'm sure these are stupid questions but to me it only makes sense that everybody's different temperature settings are just going to fight each other constantly as your set temperatures will never be achieved .
Is a good example the Duel stage climate in your automobile , you can feel your set temperature blowing on you but the temperature as a whole in the cab are just equaling out?
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #2

The 2017 DP we just sold and the fiver we just purchased both had 3 a/c units, along with not only the management system but the AGS system.

All three a/c unit can and will run at the same time, they just won't start at the same time. The smart management system controls your 50amp service input so you don't blow breakers generally speaking. For example you are camped in 90 degree heat and have all three a/c units set to 72 degrees. You place something in the microwave. The system will cut off an a/c unit to allow the microwave to function.

It would function the same way if you get into a situation where you only have 30amp service. It would only allow one a/c to run at a time. You may have two a/c units turned on but they will cycle back and forth so only one is on at any given time.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
The 2017 DP we just sold and the fiver we just purchased both had 3 a/c units, along with not only the management system but the AGS system.

All three a/c unit can and will run at the same time, they just won't start at the same time. The smart management system controls your 50amp service input so you don't blow breakers generally speaking. For example you are camped in 90 degree heat and have all three a/c units set to 72 degrees. You place something in the microwave. The system will cut off an a/c unit to allow the microwave to function.

It would function the same way if you get into a situation where you only have 30amp service. It would only allow one a/c to run at a time. You may have two a/c units turned on but they will cycle back and forth so only one is on at any given time.
that's awesome, so I don't have to watch my amps on my LCD screen to make sure I won't go over if we have allot on and want to use something else?
Now what about the zones. How do each specific zone stay at its setting without another zones different heat or air setting affecting that air by combining in the ducts and equalizing
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #4

On my Newmar I didn't notice any "bleed over" between the duct work in the zone. In my current fiver I really haven't had it long enough to know one way or the other. We have had all three a/c units running at the same time in our new fiver and when the DW starts doing laundry I have noticed the a/c units start rotating off and on to handle the extra load from the dryer.

As an example on using the zones differently. I get up in the morning between 6 and 6:30, the DW usually sleeps until 8 or so. When we sleep we have the bedroom air on "low fan" and 71 degrees. There have been some morning when I get up and the living room and/or galley is chilly. Since I have the master bedroom closed off I will turn zone 2 to heat pump and warm up the area I'm in. It doesn't effect the master bedroom area.

Of course with the Newmar I had the Oasis system for my furnace needs and hot water (all electric coach). Now with my fiver I am back to a regular propane/electric furnace and a separate propane/electric water heater, so I am restricted to my options for heat.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
On my Newmar I didn't notice any "bleed over" between the duct work in the zone. In my current fiver I really haven't had it long enough to know one way or the other. We have had all three a/c units running at the same time in our new fiver and when the DW starts doing laundry I have noticed the a/c units start rotating off and on to handle the extra load from the dryer.

As an example on using the zones differently. I get up in the morning between 6 and 6:30, the DW usually sleeps until 8 or so. When we sleep we have the bedroom air on "low fan" and 71 degrees. There have been some morning when I get up and the living room and/or galley is chilly. Since I have the master bedroom closed off I will turn zone 2 to heat pump and warm up the area I'm in. It doesn't effect the master bedroom area.

Of course with the Newmar I had the Oasis system for my furnace needs and hot water (all electric coach). Now with my fiver I am back to a regular propane/electric furnace and a separate propane/electric water heater, so I am restricted to my options for heat.
Very well put. Bleed over. That will pretty much be our situation. We have to sleep separate due to my physical condition and the meds I'm on, so i keep my ac super cold an ( ill be in the finished garage) and she won't even run hers at all ( in the upper bedroom) and just use a table top fan for noise canceling. So our worries are that each other's significant warm or cool air Setting as compared to the other person will push through the whole house duct work and affect them