Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
4-Season TT Toy hauler??

Does one exist?

Truly livable (connected at an RV park) during 30 degree weather?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only company that I know of that actually advertises making a 4 Season bumper pull Toy hauler (not just added insulation packages) is the Desert Fox by Northwood from Oregon.
Northwood Manufacturing

The only gripes I have heard are that they are heavy. Well, I thought that is because they are strong and insulated. I have no experience with these myself.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

Northwood Manufacturing: Desert Fox Floorplan

Looks good for the MH but my SUV won't pull it :(

But that isn't a deal breaker.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Perfect reason to get a bigger tow vehicle

But seriously, yes these are some heavy rigs. That's just what comes from having a strong frame, thick walls, and loads of insulation. Not much coming out of Elkhart can compete with RV's made by these smaller operations.

The mass production units have a great price point, but...

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #5

Was hoping for the impossible, lite and insulated. Don't really care abbot the quality of the cabinets and stuff.

Guess I could go custom, it is going to be behind a MH
Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

"Four seasons" is not an industry standard, I hope you know.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

As a fulltimer who spends a lot of time in below-freezing weather (in a 5th toyhauler), I would think you could improve even a lightweight TT to meet your needs. I don't know of an advertised 4-season pull-behind, but Peterson Industries guarantees their Wild Cargo 5th wheel toyhauler to 5 Below. Pricey but wonderfully made. Excel Wild Cargo - Excel RVs Perhaps you could expand your focus from a model that comes completely ready for cold weather to things you can do to prepare a unit. You can add insulation, especially on the bottom, and add an insulating membrane over the bottom. If you'll be in an area for awhile, you can enclose the bottom with a skirt, or construction panels, or even hay bales. Use electric space heaters to save on propane, and leave cupboard doors open in sink cabinets when it's very cold. Stuff pillows in ceiling vents, they're a huge source of heat loss. In extremely cold weather (like single digits), we put lights in the propane cabinet and in all storage areas underneath or turn on the built-in lights. It's amazing how much warmth these provide. Since the propane needs to "boil", we really use the vapor, if it gets too cold there isn't vapor to use. Of course, you'll need thermostatically-controlled heat tape for your water hose if you'll be hooked up. This also needs to be covered with insulation, such as the foam tubes meant for plumbing pipes. An infrared "gun" that tells you the temps of what you're pointing at can be very helpful at finding where you're losing heat. A lot of these tips are really for well under 30 degrees, but they might help you.

If you're just thinking of short-term camping, maybe it's easier to winterize the unit and take along water and a porta-potty! We did that for years.
Toys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #8

Didn't buy it to be "4-season" but my Fuzion 395 does just fine. We had an opportunity to spend 10 days in McCall, ID this winter... lows down to -11 at night with highs only in the mid-teens for most of the period. That wasn't he original weather forecast when we set out for the trip... wound up with lots of snow, wind, etc... Won't say we didn't go through propane, but we were not living in a winterized camper- we used all systems. We use heated hose and two extra heated cords- one wrapped around the water filter and one wrapped around the Sewer Solution discharge hose. We had running water the entire time. Windows are pretty cold when sitting on the couch. I think the 'double pane' advertised as winter ready don't necessarily work when its -11. But floors are warm as are the tanks because the underbelly is vented and warmed with the furnace- I'm sure it's probably an 'inexpensive' way to keep the tanks from freezing, but it's effective- at least in this TH. Garage area needs a separate heater- the roof A/C with heat strip does absolutely nothing to heat the garage area. We put a single small electric ceramic heater in there and it was as hot as we can stand. Onan Generator worked flawlessly regardless of how cold it was. When we left, I blew the lines and re-winterized for travel back south. It's cheap insurance, only takes about 2 gallons and I'm generous in the traps.

I weigh in at 16,680 with a full tank of water (116 gallons) before we load up. Pin weight is 4,090 before loading. I've owned a Keystone RV Sydney Outback 31BHS TT also and camped in it in temps down to 4 degrees for periods of 2 weeks... I've had a 2006 Coachmen and an old 1976 Airstream in the winter weather, too. All with running water. But I've always had power, the heater on, and heated lines and hoses, too.

Just my opinion, but you'll likely be fine with any manufacturer if you're using heated lines and hoses entering and exiting the coach. I am partial to Keystone after owning two which have performed quite admirably. For the McCall trip, I see no reason why we couldn't have stayed in that bitter cold indefinitely.

Hope this helps.
Roach5337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #9

drv full house has highest insulation value. They are heavy though.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #10

LANCE is a "4-season" TH, and the price goes along w/it.... good luck
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #11

I have a 21ft 2003 Desert Fox and love it. It has the insulated holding tanks and heavier insulated walls. The only drawback is that it is heavy. Northwood builds the frames themselves and they make them heavier duty that most of the other manufacturers. The trailer dry is about 6500k lbs. Loaded down I'm probably around 8k lbs (guessing...haven't had a chance to weigh it loaded yet).
Old 07-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
As mentioned above, Lance has 4 season trailer. Looking at them myself. They have 2 toy hauler models currently. Both are about the same, difference is length and number of for sleepers.
rdm1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #13

keystone outback has several toy haulers with fully enclosed and heated underbellys
New_Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote