Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch

I have an F450 with factory prep. I am upgrading my coach and need to upgrade my hitch. Reese and B & W both make hitches that will work with the factory prep. I've had good experience with the B&W products, but it's rating is only 25,000 lbs which is borderline for my needs. Ther OEM hitch from Ford had a much higher rating, but I can't find many reviews from people with real life experience. Can anybody share their opinion on the Ford hitch or other manufacturers that will fit my application?
Thanks in advance.
tbiesenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

what hitch does ford install? find out and then look for reviews on it. how much hitch capacity are you looking for? i was under the impression that the max rating for 5th wheel hitches was around 25K or 26K, but of course i may be wrong.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at the Trailer Saver air ride hitches.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:28 AM   #4

GVRW on ther new trailer is 24K. I just didn't want to be on the edge.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
http://www.trailersaver.com/wp-conte...ch-300x229.jpg

28,000 lb. Gross Trailer Weight
5,000 lb. Pin Weight.
Fits GM or Ford underbed systems. Please specify which truck brand you own when you call
Heavy Duty 4-way pivoting hitch head with safety lock
Shipped Direct (or to shipping facility near you) Fully Assembled
3 Year Limited Warranty
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 12-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #6

Thanks TXiceman, that looks like a nice hitch with enough capacity to make me feel comfortable.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiesenbach View Post
Thanks TXiceman, that looks like a nice hitch with enough capacity to make me feel comfortable.
I have been using a TS3 for over 5 years and it is s good hitch. A friend has been using the BD5 since it was introduced a over two years ago. He is happy with it.

What I like is the Binkley-Holland hitch head they use. It is heavy duty and very positive latching. The air ride helps cushion some of the rough roads.

Ken
Old 12-29-2019, 05:35 PM   #8

Thanks for your input. Nothing better than first hand experience from an objective user. The OEM hitch had similar weight ratings bit no reviews. From the pictures I saw, the BD 5 looks like a superior set up.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #9

i have never personally ran the hensley hitch's looked at them but they didn't have any prices listed on line. i bought the mountain master air ride hitch (mine is the 22k lb but they offer larger) and have been very impressed, for prob 6 or 7 years now. they do offer them for the ford and chevy set ups. i tried an air ride pin once and they are nice. they do not provide the same cushioned and tamed ride that the air ride hitch does. one other to look at is the airsafe omni air ride hitch. i have never used on but would like too.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #10

We are very happy with our pullrite hitch with the Ford puck system.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #12

Go.with the TS3 and dont look back. If your toating 24k you may overload the TS3. Then the TSLB is your friend. goodbye factory puck system. I have the TSLB and added the 3rd bag. 7500 pin limit 32k max trailer weight. My gvw is 24k on the 5ver and im carrying 5800-6000 on the pin. Heavier when takes are full. Food for thought
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #13

Thanks for everyone's input. I bought a Trailersaver. Overwhelming positive feedback.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #14

I'm having a TSLB installed this week. Can hardly wait to hook the trailer up to the new truck and hitch and see the difference.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel