Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #1

Well...another project in the planning stage is adding another air conditioning unit to the SLC...I've found the unit- I want to stay with Dometic since everything else is Dometic (good reason, huh?!). I've still got to put a Amp meter on my genset to see if it'll pull it, but I think I can go with the 13,500btu unit (if not...they make a 11,000btu unit).

In looking for pricing and tech stuff, I happened across this handy liitle remote:

You can see it's specs Here On Dometic's Website. Because it's an infrared unit, it can be used to control both units- front and back- with what seems to be a simple wiring of a receiver on each.

There's not much else online about this unit- seems as though most are in the forums and have been added by the Mfrs in the higher-end coaches. Does anyone have one or know anyone who does? I've priced it out...about $133 retail. One if it's biggest features is that it will also act as the thermostat by reading and controlling the temp wherever it is.

Anyone? Pros and Cons (except the price- I'm alright with that)...

Thanks!
Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #2

Well...another project in the planning stage is adding another air conditioning unit to the SLC...I've found the unit- I want to stay with Dometic since everything else is Dometic (good reason, huh?!). I've still got to put a Amp meter on my genset to see if it'll pull it, but I think I can go with the 13,500btu unit (if not...they make a 11,000btu unit).

In looking for pricing and tech stuff, I happened across this handy liitle remote:

You can see it's specs Here On Dometic's Website. Because it's an infrared unit, it can be used to control both units- front and back- with what seems to be a simple wiring of a receiver on each.

There's not much else online about this unit- seems as though most are in the forums and have been added by the Mfrs in the higher-end coaches. Does anyone have one or know anyone who does? I've priced it out...about $133 retail. One if it's biggest features is that it will also act as the thermostat by reading and controlling the temp wherever it is.

Anyone? Pros and Cons (except the price- I'm alright with that)...

Thanks!
Sean
Old 04-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Some of the new model Dometic and even Carrier roof top units have a remote control as you have shown. I guess you have info on adding the remote to units that have a conventional wall thermostat. All you would have to have at the vent opening would be 120 volts for easy installation. Good luck and enjoy.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #4

Mike:

Fortunately, Weekend Warrior has pre-wired for an additional ac unit- all I got to add is the UNIT! But I'm not quite sure what provisions they made to get back to the thermostat location- there is another unit...

...that will control 4 separate zones. What I'm afraid of is that they may not have supplied that control wiring (which is a $4 RJ11 telephone cable...go figure), so the remote seems to be an easier way to go.

Thanks for the info....I'll keep everyone informed.

Sean
Old 04-24-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sean, I may be wrong but from what I understand the "prewired" means 120V available. There is not a connection to the thermostat, you deal with the temp up there manually.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:31 AM   #6

Tom is correct, on all of the WW that I have seen with a front AC unit, the controls are on the unit, no thermostats.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
nps

Had a Carrier unit with the remote on my last trailer. The receiver on the unit was powered by 12V and 'remembered' your setting by creating a drain on the battery. Used to have to pull the fuse before I put it into storage, or when I came back both batts were dead (along with the electric front jack).
nps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #8

Tom & OCDUNE:

Correct-a-mundo...checked last night- the only thing in the pre-wired box was a 120v line. So now the remote is making more sense.....

nps: good point, but our SLC has it's own bed at home and is always plugged in, so this would be a moot issue for us. Other than that, did it work pretty well?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #9

Is there a thermostat built into the remote or is it just controls? That is the downside to the standard install up front, if you fall asleep, it runs till you wake up....
Old 04-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #10

Also, one of the upgrades I did on mine was to put a digital thermostat in place of the standard WW one. It is much nicer to set the temp instead of guessing and having to nudge it because you are cold or hot. The only function that I lost was the ability to run the fan speed on low or high, but I could get that back with a toggle if I wanted.

OCDUNE
Old 04-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #11
nps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">nps: good point, but our SLC has it's own bed at home and is always plugged in, so this would be a moot issue for us. Other than that, did it work pretty well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Worked great. As long as the coach batts remained up on the rig and the AAA batts were good in the remote, you could push the off button, push it back on the next day, and it was set on the same mode and temp. Works kinda like a TV remote with up and down arrows for the temp, up and down arrows for the mode (heat, fan, AC) and up and down arrows for the fan speed (low, high, auto, off).

The only downside is that you must be line-of-sight to make it work, and listen for the 'beep' of the receiver, because you can push buttons on the remote all day long and see things change, but if the receiver doesn't see the change then you think you did something when you really didn't.

Hope this helps.
nps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #12

Sean,
You still looking into this remote?? I have one and have been learning how to use it for a few months now. I am not convinced on it yet. Let me know and I'll fill you in.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrFixit454:
Sean,
You still looking into this remote?? I have one and have been learning how to use it for a few months now. I am not convinced on it yet. Let me know and I'll fill you in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MrFixit:

Yep, although now that the summer is getting close to over for 2006, I'm still gonna add another AC unit....what's the scoop on yours? Would LOVE to have a firsthand account of what it's all about! Appreciate it!

Sean
Old 08-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #14

Sean,
First off, I am not trying to bash this product as it has some really nice features. Second, I am still new to it so maybe I don't understand how to use it correctly yet as it has so many features..... so here we go.

It seems to be about 2 to 3 degrees off (Heat or cool) on temps compared to how we live at home. I have brought 3 other temp devices in the rig to verify this. This problem I could probably live with if I remeber to set accordingly. It tells you what temp it is at the remote too which is also off. Maybe it's a bad unit?.. I tried to call Dometic today to discuss these issues and to see if there has been any problems but I missed them. I am on pacific time and they are eastern.

example: First night we used it, I set if for 62 deg. heat since this is what we do at home. Woke up in the morning freezing and the unit thought it was 64. I pulled out my digital cooking thermometer w/ probe and it said 61 and I later verifeid this thermometer with others I have. A few degrees does not sound like much but it sure feels like much!

You have to point the remote at the wall sensor and you have to hear a beep so you know the command was recieved. About 1/2 the time, it does not beep so I have to press again. Could be a distance thing, I don't know but it can be annoying. Pressing the button harder seems to help. So if you hit the + but 3 times ( to come up 3 degrees) and hear no beeps and then hit it a 4th time for one more degree and hear a beep, does it go out of synq?? I hope not.

At first use, it seemed to get things too hot or too cold. I have not found a setting on it yet to change the variannce when it turns A/C or Heat on (1 deg., 1.5 deg. 0.75 deg, etc.) This could be thermostat placement (on the wall) too though. which brings up the next point.. the "I feel mode"

The I feel mode makes the remote the thermostat (cool feature eh?) It has to have a line of site though to the wall mounted receiver. It sends a signal every 4 minutes. We seem to be more comfortable in this mode.

Other cool stuff:
Has a mode (Auto change operation) that will invoke cool or heat(furnace or heat strip)depending on the temp. Might not apply to you if used as a second A/C unless you have the heat strip.

It has a timer which I have not used yet and I think it still needs a line of site to turn on/off the A/C or heat.

Dry Air mode.. cycles the comperssor on low fan depneding on the temp. 15 min. on 3 min. off if 1 deg. above set point and if it goes below the set point, it cycles 6 min. on and 15 min. off until set point is reached. I might try this mode next time out as I am having problems with the A/C coils freezing up (another story!)

Sleep mode too sets the temps 2 degrees off of what you had it on for the day.

It has the time on display, tells you when the battery is going out.
If batteries go out, you can press buttons on the wall receiver that gives you 74 deg. in cool and 68 deg. in heat.

Again.. we are still getting used to it and are not totally sold on it yet. The only real problem is the temps being off of what we are normally used to. We are once a month RV'ers for weekend trips so we don't use it that often. I have checked into just replacing it with a regular wall Thermosatat and their "Comfort Center" tstat (like you listed) may be my only option as the remote setup uses the RJ11 phone line for wiring too. Another question for Dometic.

For a second A/C it might work just fine for you. I was overwhelmed with the manual(all the darn features) and I usually like sophisticated items.

Just re-read and look like you already know all this stuff.. gave my fingers a workout

Hopefully some of my experinces will help you. Like you said...you might have to run wiring for the receiver from your other A/C control unit if you want to control both units w/ the remote. Not sure if other control box is set up for it.

Ramon