Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #1

Advice on 2008 Weekend Warrior SS 2500 and pulling it with RAM 1500

Hello All,

New to the forum and looking for advice. I am considering the purchase of a
2008 Weekend Warrior SS 2500

We had given up on buying anything based on the advice of this and other forums because it appeared my 2016 RAM 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi had too little payload capacity to pull anything. It seems like everything has a tongue weight of 1000 lbs and my total payload sticker says 1218 and I have a 175lb topper on it.

However, I found this unit with a weight of 4350 dry and have been told the tongue weight is 10% of that. So even with gear and the 900 lb toy we should be at 6000 lbs (no liquids planning to stay at RV parks) and 600 on the tongue.

Truck has the factory tow controller installed with anti sway controls, 5.7 hemi and new Michelin LTX tires. If we put everything in the trailer how will this pull?

What is everyone's opinion of this particular trailer? Anything I should know about it or look at or ask about? It is 500 miles away so don't want to drive unless I am serious.

Thanks in advance for your help!
flyinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #2

I’m not sure where you are getting 10% on the tongue, but in a toy hauler that would be absolutely dangerous. 10% is just barely enough to keep a trailer from swaying. Loading toys usually makes it lighter(percentage wise). Think of the axles as a lever. That’s why THs have heavy empty tongue weight.

That said a buddy has an SS2300 he tows his Rhino around in. He has no complaints.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #3

What does he pull it with?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #4

Is the WW SS-2500 a fifth wheel?

That's what came up when I googled it. If it is, the pin weight for a 5th wheel trailer is generally in the 20%-25% range, bumper pulls are generally in the 10%-15% range.

So if it is, your way out of the ballpark for your trucks payload rating. 20% which is the low side would be 1200 lbs on a 6000 lb loaded trailer. 25% would be 1500 lbs.

Sorry, not trying to crush dreams for ya but for that fifth wheel toy hauler (if I'm correct in that's the one your talking about), your going to want to look at a truck with somewhere around 2500 lbs or greater payload to give yourself a comfortable margin to put 4 people in the truck and a few things in the bed and cab with you.
GusCincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh View Post
What does he pull it with?

A ‘16(I think) Silverado 2500 6.0L crew cab short bed.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

The one I was looking at was a TT not a 5th wheeler.

My research over the past few days has shown me the only producer of a quality product that is not built out of thumbtacks or glue is ATC and there is no way I can afford one of those.

Even if I could, the weight of even their smallest trailer requires a 3/4 ton truck.

So unfortunately I am out of this market. Too much money for my blood and given what is going on with covid now I think it is time to start conserving cash anyway.

Obviously there are many with significant cash reserves who now have a lot of time to use it. I wish them the best.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #7

Since you have already been reading iRV2 advice, you probably have seen the recommended calculations for planning a TT purchase. If not, say so and I will walk you through it.

"However, I found this unit with a weight of 4350 dry and have been told the tongue weight is 10% of that. So even with gear and the 900 lb toy we should be at 6000 lbs (no liquids planning to stay at RV parks) and 600 on the tongue."

What is the cargo capacity from the tow vehicle driver's door sticker? Just providing make and model helps, but the sticker provides the definitive value for that individual tow vehicle. Subtract weight of anything added after it was shipped from the factory including passengers, luggage, accessories, and added hitch components.

Tongue weight of the TT needs to be between 10% and 15% of TT actual weight for safe towing. You may have difficulty getting actual weights. Published tongue weights are almost always calculated as 10% of dry or unloaded weight. Both of my TT's came in at double the published tongue weights.

I recommend you get a tongue weight gauge and weight it yourself before signing anything. You may have to argue with the dealer. They refused to weight them for me. I had to modify the TT's after I bought them to get the tongue weight down.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #8

flyinghigh.......i have no idea what the tow rating on your truck is. to behonest i bought a 1/2 ton truck manyyears ago and then realized they are not good for much. i have owned 1 tons since. rougher ride, but handle everything i need, when i need it lol.

so in your case, if your conventional tow rating is 6500lbs and you keep the load at or under , then i would say go for it. as far as tounge weight......get a different hitch and add air bags to the truck. so one thing to remember is that the tow rating of that truck is based on what the brakes can safely stop. you exceed that and you better step something up or drive slower. you will need air bags to go over on tounge weight or a quality load leveling hitch. not a blue ox or reese/harbor freight special. hensley, pro pride or bare min anderson wdh anti sway. you want to get you toy loaded and balance the load for more like 15% tounge weight.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #9

My issue is the payload/tongue weight. I can get a bigger hitch, but I only have 600lbs available out of the 1218 for total payload and that is if I put everything except people in the trailer.

You can't tow any kind of RV with a limit of 600 lbs on the tongue. Most posts I read show that real world loaded is 2x more than rated dry.

Talking to my dad he said, "1/2 ton trucks are passenger cars with a big trunk."

Seems he is right...thanks guys!
Old 05-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #10

your fathers statement is a much more polite version of what i have stated in the past hahahaha.

so if tounge weight is your only issue then get air bags or maybe timbrens and a good wdh. dont get the average bottom feeder pos wdh hitch like the majority. you'll have to order it online. camper dealers dont carry good hitch's , so dont bother.

i know many will disagree but my main concern is controlling the load. i want to be sure i can stop the load right now if need be. i believe they call that a panic stop. tounge weight is neither here nor there imo. so, yes there is a reason for that rating. i agree we should follow all of those "specs" .........

make sure your hitch and stinger are rated for the empty tounge weight. the empty weight is as heavy as it will get! i bet that empty tounge weight is 25 to 28% of uvw. your goal is 15% of wet wait/loaded. so as soon as you pull a 2k lb sxs or an 800lb quad or whatever toy in, then you be countering a fair amount. if your 6k lbs loaded you want 900 to 1000lbs tounge. yes thats over your 600 lb balance but a good wdh and maybe a set of bags. honestly a GOOD wdh is prob enough.

so 400 to 600 over remaining payload is no big deal imo with proper support like a GOOD wdh.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
your fathers statement is a much more polite version of what i have stated in the past hahahaha.

so if tounge weight is your only issue then get air bags or maybe timbrens and a good wdh. dont get the average bottom feeder pos wdh hitch like the majority. you'll have to order it online. camper dealers dont carry good hitch's , so dont bother.

i know many will disagree but my main concern is controlling the load. i want to be sure i can stop the load right now if need be. i believe they call that a panic stop. tounge weight is neither here nor there imo. so, yes there is a reason for that rating. i agree we should follow all of those "specs" .........

make sure your hitch and stinger are rated for the empty tounge weight. the empty weight is as heavy as it will get! i bet that empty tounge weight is 25 to 28% of uvw. your goal is 15% of wet wait/loaded. so as soon as you pull a 2k lb sxs or an 800lb quad or whatever toy in, then you be countering a fair amount. if your 6k lbs loaded you want 900 to 1000lbs tounge. yes thats over your 600 lb balance but a good wdh and maybe a set of bags. honestly a GOOD wdh is prob enough.

so 400 to 600 over remaining payload is no big deal imo with proper support like a GOOD wdh.

That is all assuming the rear axle has that much headroom. I don’t know what RAWR is on his truck. I would not overload semi-floating axles, and feel safe towing at highway speeds for extended periods. When they fail it can be catastrophic. The stock tires will also be overloaded, so a tire upgrade is required.

I agree on the half-ton sentiment. Good for a utility trailer, boats, UTV/ATV, snow mobiles, personal watercraft, pop ups, teally small travel trailers, etc. Any real load needs an HD truck.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #12

NewBlackDak

i completely agree on overloading the axle! that is dangerous for sure. so i know that the big 3 don't set there ratings based the yield point of the axles etc etc. they set those ratings base on a few factors. now if he is say, 400 to 600 lbs over the rating then i don't see an issue. of course that is why i said , several times, to get a GOOD wdh system. that is the saving grace to spread the load better.

you are right, factory 8 ply or weaker tires do not cut it. he will need 10 ply for sure. i personally would have a leaf added to the pack as well as a GOOD wdh system and forget about timbrens or air bags.

he won't be over by much. if he has a payload of 1200 and leaves half that then 900 lb tw loaded at 6k lbs isn't overloading it in a dangerous way imo. now those are example weights and taking things to there max requires actually weighing the loaded unit of course as well a proper tires!

funny story on tw.......

i bought a strange toyhauler, brand new off the lot in arizona. hot shot wanted $2500 to haul 1300 miles and a buddy was passing down that way on his way back. i asked if he would haul it back for $1500, he said sure. he was driving a 2018 3500 denali crew cab dually duramax. the toyhauler only weighs 5100 lbs emtpy so nothing for that truck right! so this unit is only 5100lbs dry ( i checked that is accurate) and it has a lot of ground clearance. so he had to flip is drop hitch to get it up in the air. the toyhauler ( genesis supreme overnighter) has a 1500 lb tounge weight empty. i have a weigh safe hitch and verified that !! my buddy set the cruise at 83 mph most of the way back. said it towed great and i beleive it lol , yes tires are speed rated for 87 mph and are F range. so when i met up with him we noticed his stinger was bent

he said , " i wonder how that happened" i pulled the stinger out and flipped it over. i said see that sticker that says max tounge weight 750lbs???? lol lol def under rate there hitch's ......thank gawd!
Old 07-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
That is all assuming the rear axle has that much headroom. I don’t know what RAWR is on his truck. I would not overload semi-floating axles, and feel safe towing at highway speeds for extended periods. When they fail it can be catastrophic. The stock tires will also be overloaded, so a tire upgrade is required.

I agree on the half-ton sentiment. Good for a utility trailer, boats, UTV/ATV, snow mobiles, personal watercraft, pop ups, teally small travel trailers, etc. Any real load needs an HD truck.

I pull my Tahoe FS25 with my GMC 1500 max tow. My trailer is 29’ end to end and haul my Polaris Ace in the garage. The truck just cruises at 110km all day with no effort.
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #14

Wow...how much does that weigh?

Seems like the 1/2 tons are not really suited to this task.

Tags
advice