Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyq View Post
Looking to upgrade to a larger 5th wheel. What size trucks are you all pulling these big trailers with?
2008 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.4 diesel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 05:05 AM   #16

We just bought a dually for the third time. It is a Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn diesel mega cab with a short bed.
Jackiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a nice truck. What hitch did you install?
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #18

Hey Guys thank you very much for your help. Well we tried to work with XLR to get their new 420amp RV by June 15th but that did not happen. So we went back to investigating the most reliable Toy Hauler since we will be living in the RV for two years.

After many hours of searching and talking to manufactures we decided on the Keystone Fuzion 420. I could not find a Fuzion in the Georgia area so this week I drove to Danville, VA to RV Outlet USA. These guys are great!! A good Christian dealership.

Wow, after spending almost two hours looking over the Fuzion product I must say that I am impressed. XLR Thunderbolt is a great product and I was a worried about purchasing a unit from Thor Industries. But I must say the craftsmanship was outstanding. 100% Cherry cabinets, solid doors, and the extra insulation with the Extreme Weather package. We decided to go ahead and purchase the Fuzion Chrome 420.

I would have liked to have a little bit more storage in the belly of the RV but it is worth having the his/hers full wardrobe and King bed located in the main body not in the slide-out. We have spoke with many RV owners who have the bed within the slide-out and not happy because they get hot in the summer and cold in the winter time. Since we will be living in the unit for full time we wanted to be comfortable.

We start our full time living in the unit after June 19th so I will let you guys know how the product stands up!!! Our Fingers are crossed that we don't have any issues.
mark42h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #19

Howdy!

We were in search of our next fulltime 5er last year and after much research we purchased a Cyclone 4000. Might want to look at the Heartland owners forum along with other to help you out.

Cyclone Community

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Look at used ones to eliminate depreciation. Look at the more reputable brands and get more built in standard usable content. Someone said here Excel, Newmar, NewHorizion are best. Maybe KZ, Jayco, Sunnybrook are good brands, but Keystone and Forest River are the biggest and only known ones marketed. So why not buy the best. Why pay for an overpriced new mediocre brand and have problems. And you will have problems that take a dealer long time to fix.

Do a search and see what else your money can buy and maybe you will be better served. Yes, every one wants to believe the salesman, but reality is he makes a sale and is out of the picture.

Did you ever notice why good brands don't advertise or use tactics/ gimmicks to sell products...

Good luck
Camper_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #21

Advice on toy hauler purchase

We've been staying at Anchor Down RV resort in Dandridge, TN which is near Gatlinburg. Grand Designs had a rally here all week. I talked to numerous owners and every owner was thrilled with Grand Designs, their RV's, and the companies customer support.

My wife and I got to go in a few Momentums, both the M-Class and the regular Momentum. Most of the owners had owned 5th wheels before and were thrilled with their Momentums. Now, it's got us wanting one. Grand Designs seems to be a company on the move up and hope they keep their excellent customer service. I also talked to a couple of their reps and the one issue all the manufacturers have is the individual dealerships. Some are excellent, a lot of them suck. All the owners said if they have an issue they can call Grand Designs and get them to take care of the issue.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #22

We looked at all of the units you mentioned. We were unimpressed with the Raptor, the sewer connections were especially awkward. I liked the look and feel of the Momentum, but I'm a bit leary of Schwintek slides. The new Voltages don't have Schwinteks, and were very nice inside, but definitely much more expensive than the others. We ended up with a Vengeance Touring edition. It comes standard with a lot of the options that are extra in the Voltage. We do Medieval recreation, so having enough room for our gear, garb and hobby stuff is important. Good luck in your search!

Mrs. M
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #23

Advice on toy hauler purchase

We looked at Momentums and Fuzions again yesterday and I'd say we are still leaning towards a Momentum though I'm not 100% convinced it's worth the money to trade yet. Unless I'm missing it, the Momentums don't even have a sewer hose storage compartment which I find unacceptable. I know it's a small issue but ridiculous, can anyone confirm the lack of a sewer hose storage?

We looked at a new 2016 Momentum 385TH which was very nice except for the fireplace and TV layout. Fireplace is in an area where it's not even really viewable. But, in exchange for the TV and fireplace placement you get two entrances to the rear bathroom. The M-Series only has one entrance to the rear bathroom but a very nice placement of the TV and fireplace. But, we hated the lack of cabinets in the M-Series bathroom and lack of a bowl sink. The 385TH did have stainless appliances which we had not seen in the TH model but for some reason they didn't order it with the 3 season rear patio door.

My current Fuzion is too nice to give it away on a trade in so trading it in isn't an option. Dealership seemed to be interested in maybe offering $10,000 less than NADA low retail which isn't going to happen.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #24

Just an FYI on the Momentum. Have them open the belly and look at the fabric straps used to hold up the grey/black tanks. Not a very "grand" design.

This GD is about a month old. Black tank fell while set up on site next to us. We were looking at the momentum as well but have since moved on...

redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
Just an FYI on the Momentum. Have them open the belly and look at the fabric straps used to hold up the grey/black tanks. Not a very "grand" design.

This GD is about a month old. Black tank fell while set up on site next to us. We were looking at the momentum as well but have since moved on...

When was this? GD doesn't use electric landing gear on the current Momentum lineup?
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We have spent countless hours looking at different mfg. and floor plans. We have decided on the heartland RW420. The second porch is awesome. The island kitchen so you are apart of the family while cooking. King bed. Washer hook up not using space in the garage. Our daughter will have the overhead loft and our two boys will share the garage along with my tools and our toys.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #27

Smile Thanks for advice on toy haulers, everyone.

We just put a deposit on a Fuzion 371 Monster. It is our first toy hauler, but our 7th RV. We will pull it with a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn mega cab dully. I really liked the XLR Thunderbolt 385amp, but it was quite heavy and had 3axles. Since we dry camp (sometimes for up to 10 days at a time), we were a bit Leary of a unit that large. It sometimes gets quite muddy at the primitive rendezvous events we participate in. Even though we don't haul motor cycles or four wheelers, etc., we need the large fresh water tank, the generator, and the garage for costumes, guns, and other equipment.
If anyone on the forum has a Fuzion, I would appreciate your input on your experience with this brand.

Jackiebeth
Jackiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #28

Right now...Heartland (Heartless as owners say) and Voltage are the 2 most problematic units on the market, but they are also the most popular for the last 2 years...mainly because people don't do their homework and get caught up on eye appeal. I was a huge Voltage fan. Forest XLR and Grand Design both build good units and I would also consider the Evergreen Tesla as well unless you want to move up to the DRV Fullhouse. Good luck
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase