Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350TH View Post
Hey Rodney!

The front landing gear on an 5ver, hydraulic or not have no exposed shaft that seals on anything, so it doesn't matter. The rear ones may though. It depends on the system. All MH's have exposed shafts that would matter.

My buddy has a Grand Design 5ver that has Hydraulic cylinder style at the front of the wheels and the back, they say do not leave those out.

The Lippert Level Up 6 point uses the same jacks for the rear four as the front two. I think that's the system the OP was asking about...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #16

I checked my instructions, so if you leave them out, at least every 7 days, maybe 2-3 depending on where you are located you need to coat them. If not rust will occur, seals will be damaged and you'll have some work on your hands...

Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Something I bet no one ever does. Like is said, fronts are always down, 365 days a year unless traveling. I've never coated mine on any 5ver and they never rust. Dealers don't either and they have hundreds of units sitting on their lots with the fronts down until they sell.

Can't hurt though so, if it makes you fell better, go for it!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #18

My fronts were always down, but unless there are different Lippert systems that I haven't seen, the fronts are different then the rears. I've also replaced rear unit seals and rams due to being left out here at the shop.

I'm not trying to argue, just want to make sure the OP is aware...
Old 05-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350TH View Post
My fronts were always down, but unless there are different Lippert systems that I haven't seen, the fronts are different then the rears. I've also replaced rear unit seals and rams due to being left out here at the shop.

I'm not trying to argue, just want to make sure the OP is aware...

Interesting. Maybe on older systems? I just went out and double checked again. All six of mine are identical. If the OP is buying new, then they should be the same too.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #20

I just bought the unit that has this feature (Fuzion 322), the book says replace the reservoir fluid every 36 months. Anyone know what fluid the factory uses?

They also recommend spraying the legs every few days with silicone lubricant especially in humid salty environments.
737Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
I just bought the unit that has this feature (Fuzion 322), the book says replace the reservoir fluid every 36 months. Anyone know what fluid the factory uses?

They also recommend spraying the legs every few days with silicone lubricant especially in humid salty environments.
It comes with ATF as the factory fill. I'd be willing to bed 99% of owners don't change it every three though. If you do take on the task, substitute one quart of ATF with a low friction fluid as listed in the Lippert TSB for creaking landing legs. I will post the TSB below for anyone interested.

Introduction:
If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
  1. Torco RFF Grade 15
  2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15
  3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the audible disturbance.
Preparation:
  1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
  2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)
  3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
Process:
  1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
  2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
  3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
  4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
  5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
  6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.
NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.
Contact us: Lippert Components Inc. - Customer Service - Phone: (574) 537-8900 - Email: warranty@lci1.com
Old 05-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #22

Thanks Rodney
737Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
Thanks Rodney
Glad I could help Cap!

Tags