Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2021, 08:56 PM   #1

Awning Won't Retract, Carefree of Colorado

The rear awning above the swing down ramp on a toy hauler... a 2019 DRV FullHouse LX455, won't retract completely. This is not my rig, I'm helping a friend (Marine vet); And, they have already postponed their departure by 2 days while trying fix this problem. It's problems like these that the friends of iRV2 are so willing to share their vast experience and knowledge simply to help fellow RVers move on down the road!

The rear awning is made by Carefree of Colorado and my best guess is that it is a Mirage model. He doesn't have a manual, but we've been reading a PDF document that seems to contain the appropriate instructions. We are able to control the extension by turning the trim pots as indicated. However, the retraction seems to be unaffected when turning the trim pot for that effect. The instructions indicate that turning the trim pot changes the runtime of the motor... Apparently it is not a limit switch - it is a factor of timing. This seems strange to me, if you manually extend the awning just 25%, how would the retract feature know to run the motor only 25% of the full retract time?

Does anybody have experience with this issue? I know he would really appreciate any/all input. Thank you!

It's a 2019 DRV FullHouse LX455
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #2

Mine is manual only, so no help from me other than to ask if this ie where you downloaded the service manual? https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/mirage.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:08 AM   #3

Actually, I hadn't found the link for the Mirage model... Thank you very much! Hopefully my guess is correct - I will find out tomorrow morning if it is actually the Mirage. From what I see there are only two models with the folding lateral arms, and the other one (Apex) looks like the end caps are different. So unless there are more than two models with folding lateral arms, I believe it must be the Mirage.

My own coach has Girard awnings, and I can almost service those in my sleep. From what I can tell, the Carefree Mirage is a knock-off of Girard's folding arm design. (I've been told Girard's patents have expired) However, Carefree drives & logic are totally different than what I'm used to.

Thanks again for pointing me to the exact website for the Mirage model!
Old 04-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

i assume there's a way to manually crank it in to get on with the trip. sounds like that limit swith is bad on the motor.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #5

i assume there is a manual crank for the awning? just crank it shut and enjoy the trip. sounds like the limit switch is bad and if that is a knock off of girard then its prob an even cheaper made in south china switch. i have dealt with carefree before.....always positive results.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #6

Ultimately Mirage was not the correct model. Regardless, the owner (my new friend) was adamant that there was no manual method of cranking in the awning. To me that just seemed ridiculously false... I couldn't imagine ANY awning manufacturer, specifically for an RV, that wouldn't provide the ability to manually retract the awning for just such an occasion (mechanical/electronic failure). The Girard awnings with which I am familiar, have a crank bell hanging from one end or the other which the Auxiliary Crank can engage with from standing on the ground. There is no doubt that this CareFree brand had no such hardware/mechanism that was visible. We were working on the left end, it was apparent that there was not much room for similar access on the right end... even if removing the end cap. I kept asking him if he had ever had the right end cap off, and I continued to get vague answers. Ultimately, I grabbed his ladder and crawled up to remove the right-side end cap... And at the very end of the roller tube there was a square hole that appeared to be the exact size for a 3/8 inch ratchet! I did what anybody would do, placed a ratchet into the square hole and cranked the awning in until it was (nearly) tight. Actually it wouldn't quite draw in tight enough, but only left about 1/2 in of wiggle room. With that, this family boogie down down the road! Thank you both for your attention and help with this matter.

(I still don't understand how the owner of a 18-month-old RV does not have manuals! Did they quit providing hard copy manuals for all the accessories installed into new RVs?)

Tags
awning, colorado, free