Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Axle Upgrade

So I am currently sitting in a rest area with a broken axle spring.

I will get a new one tomorrow so I can make it home. After that I will be replacing all 4 springs with new ones this week.

I do not think this is a good long term solution. Unlike a lot of people, we actually use our RV. Just this year I have at least 80 nights in it already.

I am considering 3 different upgrade options:

The Timbren Silent Ride, https://timbren.com/p-35854-silent-r...uspension.html This option is the most cost effective and "simply" requires removing the current spring hangers and doing a single mount and installing my current axles.

I am also considering this similar system, https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...2470-2580.html since they have a little heavier springs. Cost is about the same as the Timbren.

The next option is the Timbren IS system, https://timbren.com/p-35853-axle-les...uspension.html This is at least 2x the cost of option #1 and requires much more fabrication work.

The last one I am considering is the Moreryde IS, https://www.morryde.com/products/ind...ension-system/ My biggest issue with this system is that it is a 4000 mile round trip to have installed.

Does anyone have experience with any of these systems? Is there another good option I am missing?

Now that I have an HDT the toy rides on the truck so my garage is just an office and I am way under max weight (can't recall the exact number right now). I am not trying to go cheap, but I am seriously considering a new unit in the next 2 years so I do not want to put more money that practical into this.

Here are pics from my current situation,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_190801_HDR.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	339714   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_190312_HDR.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	339715  

Nwcid is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2021, 05:33 PM   #2

If you want the best option then go mor-ryde I.S. with disk brakes, its a game changer in stopping and smooth traveling
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
If you want the best option then go mor-ryde I.S. with disk brakes, its a game changer in stopping and smooth traveling
As I said in the post looking for most cost effective since I will not have this long term.

What makes Morryde better than the Timbren? Timbren seems to be a very high end manufacture and I do not have to have it factory installed.

No need to up grade to disk brakes, they rarely get used. They are mostly used at stop lights. My truck is much heavier than my trailer and has excellent engine braking. My next trailer will have air brakes.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
As I said in the post looking for most cost effective since I will not have this long term.

What makes Morryde better than the Timbren? Timbren seems to be a very high end manufacture and I do not have to have it factory installed.

No need to up grade to disk brakes, they rarely get used. They are mostly used at stop lights. My truck is much heavier than my trailer and has excellent engine braking. My next trailer will have air brakes.
sorry about my wrong advice then, I obviously didn't read your post well enough to get that your just wanting a fairly inexpensive fix, my bad
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:58 PM   #5

If you are trading up in 24 mos or so, why even consider anything other than replacing the springs and driving on? The other options are for your new trailer, which it appears, will not be a toy hauler from your description.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
If you are trading up in 24 mos or so, why even consider anything other than replacing the springs and driving on? The other options are for your new trailer, which it appears, will not be a toy hauler from your description.

Charles
The reason for changing is that while I made it home safely I am going to have about $800 in parts to fix it properly and safely for the next 2 years. 2 of the options are under the $1500 range and I can either do it at home or with a local shop and appear to be much better systems.

We are not weekend users, we typically spend about 100 days in our unit each year. Much of that boondocking.

The other options are not likely to work for my next trailer as those options are all too light weight for my plans. I am planning on doing a build on a semi frame. It will still likely be a toy hauler or a pseudo-toy hauler as I use my garage for my office.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
The reason for changing is that while I made it home safely I am going to have about $800 in parts to fix it properly and safely for the next 2 years. 2 of the options are under the $1500 range and I can either do it at home or with a local shop and appear to be much better systems.

We are not weekend users, we typically spend about 100 days in our unit each year. Much of that boondocking.

The other options are not likely to work for my next trailer as those options are all too light weight for my plans. I am planning on doing a build on a semi frame. It will still likely be a toy hauler or a pseudo-toy hauler as I use my garage for my office.
I would question if tire balance was the route cause of the leaf spring breaking.If you do the timbering keep your axles , the axle less set up will cause the frame to crack the cross members. I have Morryde IS in our 17000 lb 5th wheel, its 8000lb rated. It rides very nice, we leave the coffee maker and toaster on the counter tops. They have NEVER moved even on 1000 mile trips. We had all kinds of issue with trim coming off , pocket doors coming off the tracks. That is all a thing of the past. Yes its way more money but I have not heard of any issues leaving owners stranded. I had a broken bolt on my rear leaf springs when I pulled into have my Morryde IS installed , thankfully I didnt have to do any road repairs.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
I would question if tire balance was the route cause of the leaf spring breaking.
Why do you say that? The tires have been rotated a couple of times. We frequently boondock which I am sure does not help. That corner has always seemed "different' and was going to deal with it this fall......

Quote:
If you do the timbering keep your axles , the axle less set up will cause the frame to crack the cross members.
Why is that? It appears to be essentially the same system as Moreryde IS.

Quote:
I have Morryde IS in our 17000 lb 5th wheel, its 8000lb rated. It rides very nice, we leave the coffee maker and toaster on the counter tops. They have NEVER moved even on 1000 mile trips. We had all kinds of issue with trim coming off , pocket doors coming off the tracks. That is all a thing of the past. Yes its way more money but I have not heard of any issues leaving owners stranded. I had a broken bolt on my rear leaf springs when I pulled into have my Morryde IS installed , thankfully I didnt have to do any road repairs.
I would consider a high end system if I planned on keeping the unit.

The Comfort Ride system. It is a fair price, gets great reviews and I can install the whole system at home in a day.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Why do you say that? The tires have been rotated a couple of times. We frequently boondock which I am sure does not help. That corner has always seemed "different' and was going to deal with it this fall......

If you been out on rough trails to access the camp site this could also be the cause of a broken spring.

Why is that? It appears to be essentially the same system as Moreryde IS.

Morryde builds a tube steel rolling cart then welds that under your I beam frame , they are NOT asking the factory cross members to keep the it from twisting. If you where to do the same type of rolling cart with each side timbering arm mounted to it you should be fine. Morryde adds about 800lbs more steel to the underside of your frame with a 8000lb 4 tire trailer , I would guess that would be 1200lbs on triple axle .That is inclueding what was cut off and trashed , Before and after weight on a CAT truck scale.

I would consider a high end system if I planned on keeping the unit.

The Comfort Ride system. It is a fair price, gets great reviews and I can install the whole system at home in a day.

comfort ryde springs and shocks both have good reviews. Triple axle toy haulers really need some added steel around the spring hangers , if you do a very tight 90* corner on pavement its not out of the question to have a leaf spring bolt or hanger break .
Old 08-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #10

So you want the best leaf spring system upgrade you can get for a reasonable rate????????
Old 08-23-2021, 10:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
comfort ryde springs and shocks both have good reviews. Triple axle toy haulers really need some added steel around the spring hangers , if you do a very tight 90* corner on pavement its not out of the question to have a leaf spring bolt or hanger break .
Yeah, I had a triple and it was way worse in the turns. With the new tow vehicle I can turn even tighter than with my pick up. If I have to do a tight turn I really try and do it on as soft of surface as possible.

My current TH is only a tandem axle. It was the one thing I compromised on with my initial set of requirements. However it had all of my other requirements and at a ~$25,000 savings....

If things go right, my next trailer will be tandem duals on air ride
Old 08-23-2021, 10:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
So you want the best leaf spring system upgrade you can get for a reasonable rate????????
I am going to replace my whole suspension since 1 spring broke and I have other useable, but damaged parts.

To change out with "stock" items will cost me ~$800.

If there is a system that is cost effect that that is a worthwhile upgrade I am willing to spend some more than $800. Only 1 of the systems I mentioned is a leaf system.

What I am not willing to do is drop $4000-$8000 on a unit that I am likely to sell in the next 24 months. The other big advance to the Comfort ride is I can do it in my driveway in a day.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:09 AM   #13

Quote:
I am going to replace my whole suspension since 1 spring broke and I have other useable, but damaged parts.

To change out with "stock" items will cost me ~$800.

If there is a system that is cost effect that that is a worthwhile upgrade I am willing to spend some more than $800. Only 1 of the systems I mentioned is a leaf system.

What I am not willing to do is drop $4000-$8000 on a unit that I am likely to sell in the next 24 months. The other big advance to the Comfort ride is I can do it in my driveway in a day.
Well i can't help yah then, after years of leaf springs I'm going i.s. but with you only trying to string it along for 2 years , i personally would cut my losses and spend as least as possible to make it safe and move on and start planning on how you want your next rv to be.
On my currennt wildcat fiver I go through 4 tires a yr at my rt front, but I just keep throwing used tires at it because replacing 8 tires over 2 years only cost me $200 and I'm not willing to pay for an alignment or bent axles or whatever just so I can lose more money when I get rid of it. Jmo
Old 08-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #14

Take a look at this , I watched a clip where a 5th wheel owner used them also.

Tags
upgrade