Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #1

B&W companion hitch height

I purchased a fifth wheel toy hauler. This is my first wheel camper. I have a 2017 ford f350 dually long bed crew cab with the fifth wheel puck system. I purchased a B&W companion rvk3305 hitch. I don't know what height to set the hitch at. I'm picking up the camper next week from a person who sold me the camper. Does anyone have a 2017 and up ford superduty with a B&W companion hitch rvk3300 or rvk3305 in their truck? What is the height setting do you use? Thanks for your help.
Craig Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 08:38 PM   #2

I have a 20k companion for gooseneck in my old 350 dually. I cant give a good number for your truck, but ill say that i feel like my default would be the highest setting depending on how far youre going. Itll get the job done with the least likelyhood for contacting anything until you can get it sorted for your individual application.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #3

I agree, you may want to start with it in the highest holes to start. About 3 months ago I installed my new companion and put it in the second from the top hole and it has worked out perfectly.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:54 PM   #4

Congrats on the toy hauler. I have the same truck in a 2019 model and the same B&W hitch. Great choice on the hitch; you should be pleased....
I have my hitch set at one hole below the highest position. Would prefer it to be in highest setting as I would like the extra inch of bed clearance; I tried it there, but it made the trailer ride rough so had to move the hitch back down. The rule of thumb is you want at least 6 of bed clearance, mine is about 5 and I have to watch it close in some situations.

The exact hitch height to achieve the desired clearance is also dependent on where the pin box on the trailer is currently set as there is typically some adjustment there as well.

So Id also recommend starting out at highest hitch height just to be conservative in case the pin box is currently mounted in its highest position.

Another idea is to ask the seller to measure the distance from the bearing plate on the pin box up to the underside or the chin of the trailer. (Recommend you ask him to send a pic of the measurement so theres no question on what was actually measured.) Based on that measurement, youll know how far below the bed rails your hitch can be and still maintain 6. (I.e if the pin box plate is 9 below the trailer, your hitch should be no more than 3 below your bed rails,) make sense?

Side note which you probably know is make sure you have a good lube plate on the king pin. If the trailer is used and your buying from an individual, Id suggest picking up a new one and taking with you just in case.

Safe Travels,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

Another consideration could be weight distribution.

When I am towing my rear axle tires (3rd axle) probably carry slightly more weight than the other two because my psi increases slightly more and the temp rises more in those two tires. I suspect if I moved my hitch to the highest notch that it would place a little more weight on that rear axle.

If your TH is a dual axle it may not effect it as much or it may effect it more.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch