Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
I spent the last 8 months looking at all the different brands and models.
It got to be where they all seem like they were made in the same place by the same people. I actually went and got in them not just online.
I finally narrowed it down to the Jayco Seismic 4212 and the Grand Design Momentum 399HT. Because I'm stuck on wanting a patio.
Then I spent a couple weeks reading reviews of those 2. And man was that mind numbing. For every Yay you will find a Nay.
So then I looked at the weights, nope still no decider.
Then I looked at the price, nope still undecided.
Last Saturday stopped in my local dealer and finally a 4212 that I could get into. YAY! (they are almost non existent in Florida)
It was on sale and they threw in 2 slide toppers too.
I just got tired of looking. The staff at the dealer were great and treated me very well with no pressure.
So I bought it.
Pick it up on the 7th. Damn Holidays!
Now I'm stuck in the longest 29 days of my life.

Moral of this story. Get in them feel them out. Ask questions and take your time inspecting everything.
Then go with the one you feel is the best for you and your budget.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 04:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndCowboy View Post
I spent the last 8 months looking at all the different brands and models.
It got to be where they all seem like they were made in the same place by the same people. I actually went and got in them not just online.
I finally narrowed it down to the Jayco Seismic 4212 and the Grand Design Momentum 399HT. Because I'm stuck on wanting a patio.
Then I spent a couple weeks reading reviews of those 2. And man was that mind numbing. For every Yay you will find a Nay.
So then I looked at the weights, nope still no decider.
Then I looked at the price, nope still undecided.
Last Saturday stopped in my local dealer and finally a 4212 that I could get into. YAY! (they are almost non existent in Florida)
It was on sale and they threw in 2 slide toppers too.
I just got tired of looking. The staff at the dealer were great and treated me very well with no pressure.
So I bought it.
Pick it up on the 7th. Damn Holidays!
Now I'm stuck in the longest 29 days of my life.

Moral of this story. Get in them feel them out. Ask questions and take your time inspecting everything.
Then go with the one you feel is the best for you and your budget.
Congrats! Always exciting waiting for that new purchase, taking her home, and starting to get things all situated. Have fun.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #17

We picked up our Grand Design Momentum 350M about a month ago, it is our second Grand Design product, the first was an Imagine travel trailer. The Imagine was trouble free except for a couple of dealer prep issues, which Grand Design stepped up and made sure were fixed (mobile service tech to the house). Dealer also booted a couple of other things along the line that Grand Design made right with us. Maiden voyage with the Momentum was trouble free, that was a week long trip with temps ranging from just below freezing to upper 70's, all systems go.

I have absolute confidence in Grand Design as a company, I know when the problems surface they will do everything they can to make sure we are happy with the outcome. Build quality may be a little better also, but I cant say I really felt a huge difference from the other luxury toy haulers we looked at.
CoachCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #18

2017 Grand Design Momentum 350M

A lot of people love the frilly things like LED's, graphics etc...I could not deny how nicely put together the Momentum 350M is. Just pulled the trigger on one. MHO, the RV builders ALL have build quality issues, but are getting better. I chose the Momentum 350M because it is what it is....very good quality throughout, no gimmicky lights and crap. Nice use of space...Looked at a Winnebago Scorpion 3480 and found moulding hanging loose, doors not closing properly and just felt chinsy. The Momentum felt warm inside, nicely appointed kitchen, nice cabinetry, second garage bathroom, 3 AC's. It just felt stepping into the best of both worlds regarding toy haulers. I understand the desire of the Keystone guys leaving to build an RV to what they felt was better than the Keystone product. The feedback reviews from many Montana buyers is horrible. I am hoping like any new RV buyer for the best in my purchase. I am sure there will be quirks, but right now, the 350M is INSANE!
icunjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #19

I will add my thoughts here on the Attitude product.
We bought a new 2014 32AK new in 2014. It has been, to put it kindly, a major disappointment. As was already stated their quality control is horrific, and if you do not live near enough to the factory to take it back to them for repairs, well, you will find yourself on your own.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #20

All trailers, whether they be bumper-pulls, 5th wheels, or toy haulers are run down an assembly line and pushed out the door as quickly as possible. There is zero quality control at the factory. It is up to the consumer to locate defects and have the dealer spend months repairing it. There is no best new trailer. The best trailer is one or two years old and has had the bugs worked out of it.

In my case we looked only at floorplans and picked a new Voltage without much regard to brand name. Then, for the next year or so, I fixed things that were wrong myself. Now, almost three years later the trailer is working great.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 AM   #21

Ditto to the above!!!
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:02 AM   #22

2017 Scorpion 3480

Man...I wanted this toy hauler bad. It is a work of art. But, as I walked through it, my desire for it left me. Why did Winnebago drop the ball? 1. The main kitchen and sofa pullout...beautiful grey cabinets, nice side by side fridge, island. 2. The entertainment center, bath and bedroom are now finished in 1960's walnut brown cheap paneling. Grey to brown? It was like a design crash. Look on the youtube video walk through by Ian Baker. You will see this 12"x12" patch screwed to the bedroom wall. We saw it in real life and could not believe how come half of the rv was gorgeous and the other half was crap! Cabinet doors not closing, trim hanging...it was wierd. I really wanted this toy hauler! Went to look at the Grand Design Momentum 350M and decided it had the best layout and overall quality. My wife really loved the Momentum....I sure wished the Scorpion stayed with the build and finish on the bath and bedroom. I would have bought it!
icunjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by icunjl View Post
Man...I wanted this toy hauler bad. It is a work of art. But, as I walked through it, my desire for it left me. Why did Winnebago drop the ball? 1. The main kitchen and sofa pullout...beautiful grey cabinets, nice side by side fridge, island. 2. The entertainment center, bath and bedroom are now finished in 1960's walnut brown cheap paneling. Grey to brown? It was like a design crash. Look on the youtube video walk through by Ian Baker. You will see this 12"x12" patch screwed to the bedroom wall. We saw it in real life and could not believe how come half of the rv was gorgeous and the other half was crap! Cabinet doors not closing, trim hanging...it was wierd. I really wanted this toy hauler! Went to look at the Grand Design Momentum 350M and decided it had the best layout and overall quality. My wife really loved the Momentum....I sure wished the Scorpion stayed with the build and finish on the bath and bedroom. I would have bought it!
Congrats on the 350M. We've had our's since March and are very happy with it.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #24

Congrats, we have only had our 350M since November, but 3 trips and still extremely happy!
CoachCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #25

We have a KZ RV Inferno 44ft toy hauler, it has a 2-year warranty, a rarity in today's industry and supposedly a sign of confidence in quality. I'd say the quality is average. First time we took it, our toy busted a D-ring loose. There are other various issues also, all were taken care of within warranty.

Before that we had a Four Wind class C by Thor, even though it's supposed to have bad quality, we were problem free for entire 8 years we owned it.

So it seems to me hit and miss across all models and makes
outabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #26

I would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We had a KZ Sportster. Had it for 11 years and had very few issues with it. Good solid construction IMO. Not sure what the new ones are like but we really liked ours.
My 5th rv and second 5th wheel was a KZ New Vision. The same as above poster but with aluminum framing. It was by far the best RV I have owned .
Many times I wish I had never sold it.

My current Toy Hauler is a Grand Design Momentum. I got sucked in by the nice finishes and Grand Design tightly controlled web site. I doubt I would buy another.

I went to Hershey and Florida super show looking for a replacement. KZ had been sold at that point and in my opinion quality greatly reduced.

I ended up with a Grand Design. It is OK but is just a regular RV not worth the high price. With some other posters talking 40 % off of list on some models I wish I had gone in a different direction.

I knew the day Grand Design was sold to Winnebago a few months ago it was off my serious list. Just like KZ quality of GD will fall off quickly due to the demands of profit from Winnebago.

My thinking at this point is go back to Hershey and Super Show and look for a semi custom builder.
sc1camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #27

First time RV owners who do not have anyone to help them other than the salesman are starting off in the weeds... it's no different than buying your first home. EVERY RV requires instant repair as soon as you get it home in some fashion, this is why a friend who either has or currently owns one can be a huge resource(which applies to any toy), your first RV is a learning tool which is why your second is soooook much more enjoyable!!! As for the QC issues, well all I can say with 100% confidence is ALL the manufacturers have NONE, all they focus on is getting that unit out the door, period!!! Happy camping
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #28

I have a GD Momentum 376. IMO it's the floor plan that sold us. We looked for a long time and at a lot of different brands, but it was the floor plan that sold us on the GD!!
jamesr3406 is offline   Reply With Quote