Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #1

What's your opinion? Is a TH that's been on the dealers lot 6 months with people trampling in and out, the slides being out and trailer not leveled worth a lot less than brand new from the factory? Seems like in the TX sun during the summer would be bad on the seals with the slides out for the entire time. They told me 6 weeks and $3K more for a brand new unit. Realistically do factories deliver on time?
txtoyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #2

What's your opinion? Is a TH that's been on the dealers lot 6 months with people trampling in and out, the slides being out and trailer not leveled worth a lot less than brand new from the factory? Seems like in the TX sun during the summer would be bad on the seals with the slides out for the entire time. They told me 6 weeks and $3K more for a brand new unit. Realistically do factories deliver on time?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a thing wrong with a dealer inventory unit. If a little traffic and setting in the sun for 6 months will damage it, it is not built very well.

Naturally the dealer would rather sel on out of inventory than have that unit set longer and order another one.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #4

If i was you id keep my 3k... you can put new carpet in it yourself, or you could take a nice trip with a brand new trailer...
Old 01-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Actually, if they want 3k more for a new one, I'd want 3k off the old one from their asking price, and a lot more. What you are looking at is what you will get, not the same as what you order.

But, if you don't like what they have on the lot at the price, then you have to make the decision and go from there.

From what you asked, are you dealing with funtime? Probably can't help you but I'm curious.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Just my opinion....

I am always concerned about units sitting on the lot for long periods of time. How many RV shows have they been to? How many people have been in and out, twisted knobs, and tried to operate stuff they haven't read the manual on? I am always amazed at units at dealeships where a cabinet door or electrical appliance is missing. Yes, they canibilized that unit to fix another unit that has sold.
And if it's 8 months or more, is it really a year older? I know if you go to trade it, the dealership will explain to you that the blue book says its a year older and worth less. If its a year old, thats a year off the life of the tires too (15% of their lifespan). Is the dealer is going to discount it like its a year old (or used) unit? I doubt it.

As for the additional $3000 when ordering it, I have always paid less for an ordered unit. It's easy money for the dealer, all he has to do is order the unit. Little paperwork and it doesn't sit on his floorplan where he is paying interest on it. I would walk away from a dealer who insists on charging $3000 more for an ordered unit (and I bet he will call you back with a better deal).

And besides all that, the main reason I like to order a unit from the factory is I get exactly what I want: colors, fabrics, options, etc. I don't have to make any compromises or pay for things I don't want or need.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #7

It's Walkabout RV. Crossterrain 38TS for $47,800. MSRP 68, they started at 51.9. But saying if we order then its back closer to where we started.
As for the decor and options it's just what we wanted. My wife just hates "display" stuff. The unit is in perfect shape. Anyone know if this pricing is good for one of these?
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
We've done both. We ordered our previous 5th wheel, and we got just what we wanted. We found our current 5th wheel on the lot - it was the last 2004 the dealer had, and the 2005 models were in transit. Therefore, we were able to work a good deal, and the dealer had it prepped to our satisfaction before we signed on the bottom line.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #9

I'm the same as Rusty. I bought one off the lot then ordered my next one. The wait is a killer but they were about a week ealry on delivery and it was worth the wait because I got exactly what I wanted. The one I got right off the lot was fine as well, I could see everything I was getting instead of looking at the web site.

If you have it right there and it is all what you want I would say go for it. I know price should not be the determining factor, but if you do save a little and settle for what they have available, are you going to still be happy in a few months.

As far as the traffic and exposure to the elements, I think you will probably come out on top there if you make the dealer fix any problems they are related to showing it. I leave my slide out all the time and never level it at my house and have not had a problem. I don't know about this particular unit, you should be fine though.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #10

Nothing is better then you taking your time doing a pdi. I have bought 3 new lot rv's.If it didnt have an option I wanted ,either dealer would put it in , or I talk myself out of it. I dont think there is enough wear and tear on a show trailer to worry about it. We made sure my dealer cleaned our latest unit ,top to bottom.When I finished my pdi,I asked them to clean the carpet again,no problem.There is only a small window of time you get respect from any of these guys.Thats the time right before signing.Double check everything and dont sign anything until unit has been prepped for delivery.On a trailer I bought dealer tried to hit me up for hitch set up,it took them 4 hours to do it.My paper work stated it was included.I didnt pay.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #11

you know, txTH, you've presented a pretty darn good question here...I wouldn't be swayed by the "on-lot" unit- think of it this way: all the guests who went through that unit prolly commented on one thing or another and the dealer should have felt compelled to fix anything that "showed" up. Call it a "pre-pre-PDI" of the unit.

Unless it has missing features that you just couldn't live without (and they are structural which pretty well takes the dealer out of the equation), then I wouldn't have any problem taking one off the lot. I'd just look at the GVWR sticker to see when it was manufactered to see how long it's been on the lot- there's not a lot of time between Mfr date and when the dealer took delivery of it.

Good luck!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:38 AM   #12

My unit was on the lot and the dealer was up front about the shows it had been to. I am in Florida and they actualy had WW deliver the trailer to them at Sturgis and they then towed it home from there. It had also been to about every other show they went to in the region for the 6 months after. The only issue I had a PDI was a burnt out spot light outside and i was able to get the '06 for about $12k less than an '07 with the same options (all the options I wanted, plus). I think that getting something they ordered for the shows actually resulted in me getting something fully loaded for a great price.

2006 WW LE3305 w/Trail Air pinbox
kford13 is offline   Reply With Quote