Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspumpcity View Post
Not sure about the ramp height of the dune trailer no problem for the Jeep seems the bagger cause of the angle could be a challenge. How about two side doors in and out on a low sundowner this would cut down on total length running nose to nose.

I've ridden my bike into other enclosed trailers before. My dealer use to pickup and deliver my bike for me when it needed to be serviced. So I am pretty sure it will handle the breakover angle.

Quote:
How about the Thor outlaws classic Motorhome then tow Jeep.

Really don't want a motorhome as then if the Jeep breaks down and the parts I need are too big for the bike I'd have to pack up camp to go on parts runs. And while I have done it a few times grocery shopping on the bike doesn't leave a lot of room for food.

I will not own a gas pot MH. Not ever...………….. I was a heavy line mechanic at a Ford dealership for 3 years and saw way too many MH that came in with blown engines. They just are not made for that type of work IMHO.

I'm towing this trailer with a 2018 Ram 3500 DRW crew cab CTD long bed truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonglampr View Post
Good to get some quotes from a few different brands for sure. I too thought the ATC was built very well especially compared to all the other TH I have looked at. They are a bit on the side of sterile/industrial looking which will turn off a lot of people, I was OK with it function over form for me. I did not notice a echo in the trailer I looked at but my hearing is not what it used to be either. My concern with the ATC is it's lack of insulation (although I think it can be mitigated somewhat) it is at best a 3 season trailer. Since it is made of aluminum that makes it a great thermal bridge to transfer the outside cold to the inside of the trailer, wood is better at not transfering the cold but has it's own issues that make it less desireable to use in trailer construction. That said since our plan was to travel extensively around the USA and the older I get the less I like the winter cold we would just follow the weather, so it's lack of insulation is less of a concern for me.

The Sundowner I do not know much about but does appear to be a well made trailer and Wild Card seems to be very happy with his. Also looks like you can do a fair amount of customization with Sundowner, with ATC if it's not a option they offer it's not going to happen, at least that was what the dealership I went to said.

I know Dune Sport will build just about anything you want, which in your case may make them your best choice, also finding someone that is happy with their Dune Sport is encouraging.
I agree ATC is a 3 season trailer. My plans are to head south during the winter months and then back to the PNW area during the summer months. So I figure the ATC will work fine for that. And yes you either have to like the interior or NOT...…… I'm not worried about resale as when I stop using it I will pass it on to one of my kids and they can use it.

The biggest issue with Sundowner is that it is basically a gooseneck trailer and getting to the sleeping platform will be a challenge.

Yes it was nice to talk with someone who owns a Dune Sport. I will keep talking to all these dealers and see what comes of it. ATC is the most expensive of the 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram 1 (2).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	232561  
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #30

So let me hear some opinions on ATC and their all Aluminum construction as opposed to Sundowner with metal & wood or Dune Sport with wood and fiberglass skin.

I have had a few trailers with water damage inside. None of my truck campers ever had any leaks but I didn't own them for more than 4 years.

I like the ATC construction and realize you PAY for it.
Sundowner has a very good quality inside and you can see it.
Dune Sport seems to me to be about like all the other trailer manufactures and while they will build you anything you want I worry about it lasting 20 years.

I see the ATC or Sundowner being passed down to one of my kids and then used years after that.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #31

Atc Fifth Wheel it’s only 139k https://www.brownmotorcars.com/.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	341837B1-2650-4D08-B3A6-30272B45A5AF.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	233191  
Gaspumpcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #32

Quote:
I may be wrong...I don't see many dropping a $140k on that.

And I am not saying they are not nice or functional..but dag on that's some serious loot.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #33

Quote:
WOW $139k is a lot for ANY trailer and I don't know many who want an ORANGE inside. It is nice and everything and seems to me without seeing one in person it is built nice. But I do not like it in black and then orange inside.

Dune Sport said they will build me a trailer like the Sundowner with the open deck. If it looks good and comes in under $75K it just might be it.

Right now ATC hasn't gotten back to the dealer I am dealing with about doing the things I want.

And I've yet to get a call back from the Sundowner dealer either so will call them this next week.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #34

Wowser! 139K is just crazy $$$ for that. The 28' front bedroom ATC I specked out was 60K (which is about 10K more than a Desert Fox or ORV that I have been eyeing) Not sure where the extra 79K for the 5er is.

The Dune Sport is sounding like a more reasonable option for you.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #35

I had a 30' ATC Quest customized with living quarters in 2016 and I love it.

I have a 98 TJ that I haul around in it and if I want to take a bike, I put it in the bed of my truck. For the TJ, you'll need at least 13' of clear garage space w/o the spare tire mounted on the back. I take my spare off and shove it under the jeep when hauling. If you prefer to leave the spare mounted, you'll need an add'l foot depending on tire width.

I use my trailer year round in OR w/o issues. it can be a little cold and damp at times but i just crank up the furnace and all is well.

The sparse interior is very utilitarian and durable. I don't expect to ever have problems with doors, cupboards, lights or anything structural.

My wife insisted on a front bedroom which pushed the bath and kitchen aft quite a bit. But it you didn't care about a front bedroom, you could just use a Hapi-jack bed in the back or get the fold out bunk. I had the fold out bunk put in mine for extra sleeping and it works perfectly. Even in cold weather, it remains warm and dry.

Without a front bedroom, you'd have plenty of room in a 30' trailer for the jeep out back, then a bike in front of it.

My trailer has 100gal fresh. both black and grey are 50 gal each.

A couple things I learned after I had mine built:
1. make certain you've paid attention to details. i forgot to spec a toilet roll holder, bathroom vanity and paper towel holder. Minor issues and easily fixed, but I never thought of them while specifying stuff.
2. opt for as much insulation as you can get and get the best windows you can afford. I underestimated the window insulation and condensation, especially in the PNW.
3. If you're travelling to warm climates, consider getting a lighter colored exterior and opt for the most A/C you can get. My trailer is dark grey and the A/c struggle to keep up when temps climb over 90.
4. pay attention to which floor you want and the durability and insulation factors of each choice. When I bought my trailer, I had 3 choices. i went with bare aluminum for durability and it gets very cold in the winter. I've put carpet over it and it helps immensely but I think the black rubberized would've been cheaper, just as durable and warmer.
5. I had 8, 5k lbs D-rings installed in the floor, which is great for the jeep but when hauling multiple bikes, it can be a pain. I still prefer D-rings over track, but I should've had 2 or 4 more installed.
6. Kitchen counter space is at a premium so a fold up counter/table is a must.
wellsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:05 AM   #36

Wellsit,
Thanks for your comments. I had figured 13-14' for the Jeep and 9' for the bike. I currently haul my Jeep on a 14' car trailer that I had built just for it.

I am still waiting to hear back from ATC about if they can add the fold down seat to the shower. Also asked them about installing a washer/dryer combo to it. So I'll wait and see what they say.
As for the bedroom I don't think using a bed in the back would work for what I am trying to do. I would have to unload the Jeep to sleep if I was to do that and that would be a PITA when I was just stopping somewhere for the night.

My local Sundowner dealer called me this week and said they should have some more information for me next week.

Dune Sport is working on designing me a custom open rear deck toy hauler so I am waiting to hear back from them.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #37

That's a good point regarding a nightly stop over and bed location. I hadn't thought of that but you're right. You'll want the bed to be easily accessible.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #38

Do any of you know about the Geny goose neck cushion? Is there a real need to purchase this when buying new trailer?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #39

Here’s a link https://genyhitch.com/product-catego...flex-couplers/
Old 02-12-2019, 06:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Do any of you know about the Geny goose neck cushion? Is there a real need to purchase this when buying new trailer?
Interesting YouTube link on this product. Have anyone used one of these?

Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsit View Post
That's a good point regarding a nightly stop over and bed location. I hadn't thought of that but you're right. You'll want the bed to be easily accessible.

Good luck with your search.
Wellsit, did you get the living quarters like the quest models that have wood cabinets and a couch or more like the toy hauler front bedroom? Would you mind posting a picture of the bedroom? Also, can a trailer like yours be built for 80K or was it more? No problem if these questions are too personal for a public forum.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
Wellsit, did you get the living quarters like the quest models that have wood cabinets and a couch or more like the toy hauler front bedroom? Would you mind posting a picture of the bedroom? Also, can a trailer like yours be built for 80K or was it more? No problem if these questions are too personal for a public forum.
My TH is a bumper tow with front bedroom. It is not a 5th wheel. And yes, you should be able to get it for much less than $80k. I had mine built for right around $60-65k in late 2016.

Below are the drawings showing layout and dimensions of my unit and a couple of the inside taken the day we picked it up from the factory in Indiana.

All of my cabinetry is aluminum. I didn't know they had a wood option. I have a sofa and dinette that both fold down into beds and also fold up against the wall. Also, in the rear, I have a queen size bunk that folds to the outside which is very nice. So all in, I have 2 queen beds and 2 single bunks for max sleeping of 6.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160815_090748.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	234946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_090829.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	234947  

Tags