Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2millers View Post
I'd double check that you didn't just get a FW endorsement. My CA class A license shows an "A" in the upper right hand corner and also shows a restriction "71", not a "41" below my birthdate.
I have not yet received my permanent license yet. I just have the temporary one that they gave me at the window.

It says:

A M1

My previous license says:

CM1

I doubt that the space matters.

M1 is my motorcycle endorsement.

When my permanent license arrives I will post what it says.

Yeah, I got lucky. The person that processed my paper work said this was the second FW endorsement that they had processed. The first was the day before. They still had to bring over a supervisor. It took nearly 30 minutes of typing stuff on the keyboard to finish the transaction. I think they started over a few times.

This was in Fresno. I think this is the 5th largest city in the state, so it ain't like I was in some small town.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #16

I took my CA "behind the wheel" Class A Non-Commercial driving test last week. I passed, and it was easy, but I had practiced the alley dock a lot, based on have been at the Fontana DMV location and seeing driver after driver fail that particular maneuver. I learned 3 lessons by having done this that I am willing to pass on to anyone who is interested. Will post to this thread if anyone asks.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
I took my CA "behind the wheel" Class A Non-Commercial driving test last week. I passed... I learned 3 lessons by having done this that I am willing to pass on to anyone who is interested. Will post to this thread if anyone asks.
Yes, please
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to take the written test to renew my drivers license due to my age. I started a month ago to try and schedule an appointment with the DMV in Clovis. They couldn't schedule it until a day AFTER my birthday.

Tried Fresno, they were a week past my birthday.

So if you are going to try and schedule an appointment with the DMV give yourself 4 to 6 weeks leadtime.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #19

Gryz-Let us hear your tips!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #20

Major diff between NonComm Class A and B is that the Class B license requires a medical cert signed by a physician ever 2 years, while the A only requires a self-reporting medical form.

Still gettin' up the guts to take my B test.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #21

I stopped reading the OP's post when he said he's pulling a 20k trailer without the benefit of a dually's tow capacity, huge payload and extra stability. He needs to actually weigh his trailer to get the actual pin weight - he'll be surprised. Sad to hear he's 'under-trucked'. My 19,000# toy hauler has 3500# on the pin (CAT Scale). My Chevy dually has a 5,000# payload.

Reading the replies it sounds like much of the testing for the non-commercial is very close to the same testing as for a CDL except the need to know anything about airbrakes. They make a big deal over air brakes for he CDL - special written exam and special pre-trip inspection (miss a step and you fail). You can Youtube it to see what a CDL Class A applicant has to go through. Might help you with your non-CDL. Actually it will help you. Helped me.

I have a CDL Class B w/ airbrakes so I can get paid to drive part-time for an RV dealer. For we retirees it's a pretty sweet deal. Just got back from picking up a Phaeton in Sacramento and driving it to Tucson. Company took care of all expenses. Last week it was to bring a brand new 45' Allegro Bus from our Phoenix store to Tucson. It's really a fun job. Those with a Class A CDL are assigned to pull our trailers.

I went to a trucker school for 4 hours total and spent $360 to get my CDL Class B. 2 hours of instruction to pass the test (pre-trip, air brake, and driving) and 2 hours to take the test. The guy who trained me also tested me, no DMV involved (I was much more relaxed). They let me use their 30' box truck, with a 6 speed stick. I had already passed the two written tests at DMV (general knowledge and air brakes). When I was studying for the written tests I was telling myself that all RVers should know this stuff. Most every DMV outlet has the written study guides for free. There's some real good info in those books. You can also take free practice CDL written exams online for the state you live in.

The downside to a CDL, in AZ at least, is when getting a ticket. With a CDL your only options are to fight the ticket or pay the fine and get the points. Driver school is not an option.

Regarding the medical. For a CDL you must go to a DOT approved doctor for a physical. Normally it's good for 2 years unless you're on blood pressure meds, like me, then it's only good for one year.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have to take the written test to renew my drivers license due to my age. I started a month ago to try and schedule an appointment with the DMV in Clovis. They couldn't schedule it until a day AFTER my birthday.
Tried Fresno, they were a week past my birthday.
So if you are going to try and schedule an appointment with the DMV give yourself 4 to 6 weeks leadtime.
If I have to, I just go to the DMV at 7:30 a.m. and stand in line. Once open at 8, the line and time spent waiting isn't too bad.

Car registration issues I just go to AAA to avoid that DMV mess.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #23

CA Class A Non-Commercial Driving Test

I took the Class A, non-commercial behind-the-wheel driving test last Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at the Fontana, CA, DMV facility. I have a 2017 F350, short bed, SRW, 6.7 diesel, towing a Montana 3730FL, with an Andersen Ultimate hitch. I first went to the facility on Jan 8, and failed before I ever got "behind the wheel." So, lesson #1.

I have a very comprehensive pre-trip checklist. They wouldn't let me use it, saying "you have to do everything from memory." My career was in military aviation, where the checklist is "god-like." The examiner produced a very basic checklist from the Commercial handbook, but it didn't have all required items on it, so it was useless. You have to do it from memory, and hit all the items listed in the CA RV/Recreational Vehicle and Trailers Handbook, Pre-Trip Checklist found on pages 6/7. But you can't refer to it during the walk-around of your rig. Examiners are not standardized. My examiner expected me to repeat the same information for each of 8 wheel/tires, unless she told me differently. Since I didn't, she docked me one point for each of 7 after the first.

So that was that. I stayed around to watch others do the straight backing, offset backing, and alley dock tests. I didn't see a single person in 3 hours pass the alley dock test, RVs and commercial truck students included. So, lesson #2.

If you go online and put in some keywords like "CA Class A Non-commercial skills test cone layout" several websites will pop up showing the layout of the alley dock and varying approaches to mastering it. I took the dimensions, went to my local junior college parking lot on Sunday morning, and laid out my own alley dock and practiced it for 4 or 5 hours. Backed into it maybe 40 times. From my own experience, and having watched several people botch it completely at Fontana, you have 2 problems to solve: positioning and angle off. Most can put the back of the trailer in a position to go between the 2 cones at the opening of the dock, but you have to do it having already solved most of the angle problem because no part of the 12-16' overhang of the back of the trailer can cross the lines representing the edges of the "dock" which is 12' wide. So get most of your turning out of the way before the back of the trailer breaches the opening at the front of the dock. You get two free "pull up" corrections before points are deducted. If your trailer/5er is over about 38' (estimate) you'll have to use them.

Lesson #3. If you want to pass the first time, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. 3 OR 4 hours practicing might save a repeat trip to the DMV for a second attempt. After the preparation I did for the second trip, I really found the test fairly simple. Good Luck!!!!

Questions????
Old 01-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Major diff between NonComm Class A and B is that the Class B license requires a medical cert signed by a physician ever 2 years, while the A only requires a self-reporting medical form.

Still gettin' up the guts to take my B test.

This sounds backwards!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #25

I forgot to mention, I had a Class A Commercial licensed driver with me on both trips to DMV. Neither examiner was interested in talking to him or verifying his credentials. I paid his company $100 for each trip, and tipped him $50 total.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 PM   #26

Firedoc, Those medical requirements are per CA DMV for Non Commercial Class A (TTs and 5vers) and B (MH>40'). Class B form must be signed by a doc, Class A is self-reporting. Wish it were different!
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Firedoc, Those medical requirements are per CA DMV for Non Commercial Class A (TTs and 5vers) and B (MH>40'). Class B form must be signed by a doc, Class A is self-reporting. Wish it were different!

Thanks for the response. Still seems kinda backwards.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
I took the Class A, non-commercial behind-the-wheel driving test last Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at the Fontana, CA, DMV facility. I have a 2017 F350, short bed, SRW, 6.7 diesel, towing a Montana 3730FL, with an Andersen Ultimate hitch. I first went to the facility on Jan 8, and failed before I ever got "behind the wheel." So, lesson #1.

I have a very comprehensive pre-trip checklist. They wouldn't let me use it, saying "you have to do everything from memory." My career was in military aviation, where the checklist is "god-like." The examiner produced a very basic checklist from the Commercial handbook, but it didn't have all required items on it, so it was useless. You have to do it from memory, and hit all the items listed in the CA RV/Recreational Vehicle and Trailers Handbook, Pre-Trip Checklist found on pages 6/7. But you can't refer to it during the walk-around of your rig. Examiners are not standardized. My examiner expected me to repeat the same information for each of 8 wheel/tires, unless she told me differently. Since I didn't, she docked me one point for each of 7 after the first.

So that was that. I stayed around to watch others do the straight backing, offset backing, and alley dock tests. I didn't see a single person in 3 hours pass the alley dock test, RVs and commercial truck students included. So, lesson #2.

If you go online and put in some keywords like "CA Class A Non-commercial skills test cone layout" several websites will pop up showing the layout of the alley dock and varying approaches to mastering it. I took the dimensions, went to my local junior college parking lot on Sunday morning, and laid out my own alley dock and practiced it for 4 or 5 hours. Backed into it maybe 40 times. From my own experience, and having watched several people botch it completely at Fontana, you have 2 problems to solve: positioning and angle off. Most can put the back of the trailer in a position to go between the 2 cones at the opening of the dock, but you have to do it having already solved most of the angle problem because no part of the 12-16' overhang of the back of the trailer can cross the lines representing the edges of the "dock" which is 12' wide. So get most of your turning out of the way before the back of the trailer breaches the opening at the front of the dock. You get two free "pull up" corrections before points are deducted. If your trailer/5er is over about 38' (estimate) you'll have to use them.

Lesson #3. If you want to pass the first time, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. 3 OR 4 hours practicing might save a repeat trip to the DMV for a second attempt. After the preparation I did for the second trip, I really found the test fairly simple. Good Luck!!!!

Questions????
i was there that day sir with my wife and father in law.well small world haha
beast2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, driver