Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclint View Post
All,
FYI, I did find a driver to go with me to the skills and behind the wheel test for my Class B License test. Thanks for your posts.
Clint
I received my license in the mail yesterday; only took 8 days after completing the drive tests (the DMV said it could be up to 3 weeks).

Mine is a non commercial Class A - on the back it states: no CL-B. Not sure how close they will look at the license of the driver you have going with you but as I understand his will have to be the same class that you are testing for.
Stein4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein4 View Post

Mine is a non commercial Class A - on the back it states: no CL-B. Not sure how close they will look at the license of the driver you have going with you but as I understand his will have to be the same class that you are testing for.
The no class B means a COMMERCIAL Class B. CA allows Non-commercial Class A drivers to drive a (non-commercial) Class B RV.

On the face of the license it just says the class as "A". Under the DOB is says RSTR 71 and then on the back the Restriction 71 is spelled out (which is what Stein4 summarized).

And new for 2019 in California, if you aren't to sure what to put in the "SEX" category, you can self report as being nonbinary. So choices are: M F or X
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #87

Beyond, thanks for clearing that up - that's exactly how my license reads. I wasn't sure if I could go along with someone testing for a Class B. Good stuff.
Stein4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #88

Well, the alley dock gods were not kind to me today. Walked away with my tail between my legs. I was not aware that you cannot pull up unless you have the entire back of your trailer in the box - they make you start over otherwise. I was just off, yet I was able to come home and back it down the 300' long convoluted serpentine roadway to my parking area with no problems and no assistance. Go figure.
Looks like it's back to practice at he high school parking lot for me.
HpyGlampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:44 AM   #89

HpyGlamper, I made the same error, but the examiner just deducted a couple of points and let me do it again---successfully. Hmmm. Not very consistent!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #90

Backing up any rig.

Rig steering wheel, left hand at 9:00, right hand at 3:00.

Raise left hand, trailer goes left, raise right hand, trailer goes right.

Jim.
Cougar 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #91

Cougar - yes, I have that down. It's just a different story when you're at the DMV and they make up some BS to add points to your score.

I'm happy to say that I passed last week, so I'm legal! Thanks all!
HpyGlampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #92

I am in the Sacramento area and need someone with a Class A or non-commercial Class A to go with me to the West Sac commercial testing facility to take my driving test. I am happy to pay you for your time.

I recently purchased an Outdoors RV 27TRX toy hauler (14K GVWR bumper pull trailer) and completed all of my written tests at the DMV (Class C, M1, and Non-Commercial Class A).

Ideally, I'd like to go next week (any day other than Tuesday) July 15-19. I don't have an appt (as you can't make those on-line and I didn't want to wait on the phone forever only to find that I can't get an appt for months), so it will likely be 2-4 hours of your time. Once I get mine, I am happy to help others in the Sacramento area...Please PM or e-mail me if you can assist. If I should post this elsewhere on IRV2, please let me know as I am new to the site. I will also contact local truck driving schools and may post on Craigslist for help. Thanks!
Calduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #93

As an update, I passed the pre-trip inspection, skills, and drive test today! Old Elevator Man was very kind in sharing what he learned when he took the tests in West Sac. Due to timing, I wound up hiring an instructor on his day off from a local truck school (for reference , $25/hour though they never even checked his license as he knew about 1/2 of the DMV people in there). Of course, I got the one DMV person he said I shouldn't get for my skills/driving test

As to the testing itself, I was exhaustive on the pre-trip, so that went well (make sure to bring 3 triangles and a fire extinguisher in the cab of your truck; doesn't have to be mounted, also be sure to describe how you check the oil and other fluids, etc.). After that, on the skills, I had to do a straight back up test (easy) and then an alley dock and put the rear of the trailer into a 3 ft deep box (did use my two looks and one pull-up). Then the road test with lots of stops, turns, railroad crossings, cross walks (make sure to come to a complete stop before the cross walk on a red light or if there is a person in the cross walk) and overpasses. I was asked to change lanes a number of times, typically right before an intersection, but I always waited till I cleared the intersection. Also, backup cameras are not allowed, so you will need to cover your screen or disable it. I don't have one on my trailer yet.

While the DMV person was all business, I did ask her if many RV's come through (as everyone else there was for a true Class A truck license), and she did say that more & more RV's are coming through as they are ticketing now for it...
Calduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, driver