Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Cabinet for helmets and boots over wheel well

I recently bought a Shockwave 24'. I love it! I'll be using it for the following things:
1. Taking motorcycles (street) to the track.
2. Camping trips with my girlfriend.
3. Ski trips (staying at the base of the mountain)

I'm looking to utilize the space over the passenger side wheel well for helmets/boots/gloves/shoes. Has anyone installed a cabinet there? There is a TV above it and a recliner at the back of it. So, I want to make sure it wouldn't interfere with that. And I likely will set up the pit bull restraints so that the bikes are lined up in tandem (1 just forward of the axles and 1 aft of the axles). So, I want to make sure that whatever I install wouldn't interfere with loading the bike. I'm also trying to make it so that I could have 2 bikes loaded and we could still get to everything. And I want to get something that will match the rest of the decor (g/f request).

Has anyone done anything like this before? I was thinking of like 4' long X 18" wide X 3' high. And either open shelves (with a lip and strap across the center of each shelf opening to make sure nothing moves) or actual cabinet drawers.

I attached a few pictures of the interior

Thanks!
avigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Can't offer any assistance but there are no pictures to be seen.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

Most RV cabinets are custom colored and built in place at the factory. Never had any luck finding an RV specific source. The big box hardware stores may be able to get you a cabinet that is close for a price. Being cheap and easy, we ended up using wire closet shelves turned upside down so that the lip kept things in place. We justified the simple solution because sweaty helmets and boots need ventilation to dry. Here is an example.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMa...1395/100123970
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #4

I think I got the pictures uploaded now. I may end up having to go with something that doesn't match the cabinets like you're suggesting. I guess some trips to home depot will be worthwhile to check out different options!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180928_160746.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	222719   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180928_160907.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	222720  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180928_160329.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	222721  
Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndrorder View Post
Most RV cabinets are custom colored and built in place at the factory. Never had any luck finding an RV specific source. The big box hardware stores may be able to get you a cabinet that is close for a price. Being cheap and easy, we ended up using wire closet shelves turned upside down so that the lip kept things in place. We justified the simple solution because sweaty helmets and boots need ventilation to dry. Here is an example.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMa...1395/100123970
So you just did one level, right? Got a picture?
Old 10-21-2018, 11:24 PM   #6

I put together this today. It was only $68 and even though it's not an exact match of the upper cabinets, I think it looks decent. I am planning to drill a few holes through the bottom of the cabinet into the wheel well so I can secure it. Currently it is just sitting on the carpet that covers the wheel well hump. Has anyone bolted into the wheel well before?Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_203929.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	223390Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_202348.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	223391Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_202322.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	223392
Old 10-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avigil View Post
I put together this today. It was only $68 and even though it's not an exact match of the upper cabinets, I think it looks decent. I am planning to drill a few holes through the bottom of the cabinet into the wheel well so I can secure it. Currently it is just sitting on the carpet that covers the wheel well hump. Has anyone bolted into the wheel well before?Attachment 223390Attachment 223391Attachment 223392
Did you build that cabinet or were you able to purchase one that fit. If it was purchased can you tell me where you bought it?
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi View Post
Did you build that cabinet or were you able to purchase one that fit. If it was purchased can you tell me where you bought it?
This fancy store called Walmart! Here is a picture!Click image for larger version

Name:	20181019_200305.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	223505
Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigil View Post
I put together this today. It was only $68 and even though it's not an exact match of the upper cabinets, I think it looks decent. I am planning to drill a few holes through the bottom of the cabinet into the wheel well so I can secure it. Currently it is just sitting on the carpet that covers the wheel well hump. Has anyone bolted into the wheel well before?Attachment 223390Attachment 223391Attachment 223392
Nice.

We have a Coachmen also...a bit smaller. But we considered putting a shelf/cabinet over the wheel well. Instead we made a compartment under the bed with a cabinet door.

This give us access to helmets and gear while inside, but leaves all "living area" open. But our trailer is smaller than yours.

You can fasten into the wood that is around the actual metal wheel well, with enough fasteners it should be secure. If you want to go thru the wood into the actual metal wheel well, make sure you do not have it sticking so far thru the metal wheel well that it could gouge the tires. Also, you will want to seal it really well so no moisture travels thru the wheel well to the inside of the trailer.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
Nice.

We have a Coachmen also...a bit smaller. But we considered putting a shelf/cabinet over the wheel well. Instead we made a compartment under the bed with a cabinet door.

This give us access to helmets and gear while inside, but leaves all "living area" open. But our trailer is smaller than yours.

You can fasten into the wood that is around the actual metal wheel well, with enough fasteners it should be secure. If you want to go thru the wood into the actual metal wheel well, make sure you do not have it sticking so far thru the metal wheel well that it could gouge the tires. Also, you will want to seal it really well so no moisture travels thru the wheel well to the inside of the trailer.
I'll take your suggestion of just drilling into the wood. I was probably being a little too cautious by wanting to drive bolts all the way through and have nuts underneath. But if I drill 8 holes through the cabinet bottom and into the wood over the wheel well, that should be pretty secure. I just don't want it moving around (while in transit).

I need to figure out how thick the wood over the wheel well is. Do you think that would be 3/4"? I guess I could just drill into it until I stop seeing wood and see metal?

The wood on the cabinet bottom is pretty thick. I think like 1". I need to measure it this weekend. One I get the thickness of the cabinet bottom and the thickness of the wood on the wheel well, I'll know how long of screws to get. I was just going to leave the carpet on the wheel well and screw right through it.

Btw, is the wood most likely plywood or OSB? And glued or screwed to the metal wheel well?
Old 11-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #11

I installed these last weekend. I cut the carpet that was on the wheel well to see how thick the wood was underneath. It is 3/4". So, I went to the hardware store to get 16 (4 for each cube) screws. They only had 2 1/2" or 3" for length. So, initially I bought 2 1/2" because I didn't want to go too far.

Drove back, drilled some holes, and screwed them in. But after going through the 2" cabinet and with the carpet, they were not grabbing into the wood.

So, I ended up driving back to the store and getting 3". Those worked perfectly. But I could only get into about 12 of the planned holes. A couple seemed to just have no wood underneath. And a couple gave resistance when I tried to drill into them. I think there might be a metal plate under the latter 2. So, I just avoided those 2 areas.

With 12 screws, i think this is going to hold pretty well. I also installed commercial strength velcro around the perimeter of this unit. It's 2" along the top, left, right, and bottom. I heated up the velcro tape with a portable heater before adhering it to the wall and cabinet.

Hopefully this will be helpful for someone else that wants to do something similar. It was kinda stressful doing into an area without being sure exactly what was underneath. I definitely didn't want to drill into a fluid tank, wire, etc. But short of ripping the carpet off the wheel well, and pulling the wood up just to reinstall both, I didn't have an easy way to find out for sure. And looking online, I couldn't find any info.

In addition, I installed an eye bolt on the left and right side of the cabinet both on the top and bottom level. Then I put a bungee cord across each of these. This is to prevent items from sliding out while towing.

I'll post some pictures this weekend.