Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2022, 05:36 PM   #1

Question Carrying Capacity Not Enough?

I'm new to 5th wheelers and RV'ing, so my knowledge on this topic is limited.

I am considering purchasing a XLR Nitro 35DK5 and one of my concerns is the Cargo Capacity. It's about 3,500. Which would be good if this wasn't a toy hauler, and at first glance seems like it is too low and an oversight. I plan on carrying my 2100# 4 seater SxS. That leaves like 1,400# AT BEST, for everything else.

Is that enough?
timelinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2022, 05:45 PM   #2

No.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #3

That's pretty common for tandem axle toy haulers. If you need a lot more carrying capacity, you are likely going to have to move up to a triple axle T.H. I've got a Momentum 394M that has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs and the cargo carrying is right in the 4500 lb range. Of course, that will require a Dually truck to tow it, so it's pretty much a full commitment if you need more.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
I'm new to 5th wheelers and RV'ing, so my knowledge on this topic is limited.

I am considering purchasing a XLR Nitro 35DK5 and one of my concerns is the Cargo Capacity. It's about 3,500. Which would be good if this wasn't a toy hauler, and at first glance seems like it is too low and an oversight. I plan on carrying my 2100# 4 seater SxS. That leaves like 1,400# AT BEST, for everything else.

Is that enough?
I will let others speak to the cargo capacity of the toy hauler, but since you are new to RVing...at 43' and a potential weight of 16.8K (which you sound like you plan on using), that 35DK5 will have a pin weight north of 3500 lbs, before anyone or any gear is even in the vehicle. Hopefully you are planning on a dually TV.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #5

Quote:
.............I'm new to 5th wheelers and RV'ing, so my knowledge on this topic is limited.

Is that enough?
You will be OK if you limit extras. We carry 1600 lbs when loaded and that includes batteries, accessories like washer /dryer, solar, roof, satellite antenna, full propane, cargo (camping equipment, tools, clothes, food and supplies).
Old 04-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #6

I appreciate everyone chiming in!

I just bought a 2020 Ram 3500 SRW 8ft bed in preparation! It is not DRW, which I know would obviously be better, but it's got a healthy 4,200# payload rating and 19,920# Tow Rating. It will be just my 2 adults and 2 toddlers. So we should be OK on the payload, even if by a little.

We don't have any plans on adding washer/dryers to the 5er which would obviously be a heavy addition.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:

"it's got a healthy 4,200# payload rating "
That may or may not be a healthy rating. It depends on how much the hitch you have weighs, what your pin weight is and if you plan on having anything else in the bed of your truck.

It is not uncommon to have a pin weight of around 4000 lbs with a triple axle trailer.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
That may or may not be a healthy rating. It depends on how much the hitch you have weighs, what your pin weight is and if you plan on having anything else in the bed of your truck.

It is not uncommon to have a pin weight of around 4000 lbs with a triple axle trailer.
That's why I'm not going with a triple axle. Even though they would fall under my tow capacity (as long as not loaded to the brim), they would definitely have me over payload.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:

I just bought a 2020 Ram 3500 SRW 8ft bed in preparation! It is not DRW, which I know would obviously be better, but it's got a healthy 4,200# payload rating and 19,920# Tow Rating. It will be just my 2 adults and 2 toddlers. So we should be OK on the payload, even if by a little.

We don't have any plans on adding washer/dryers to the 5er which would obviously be a heavy addition.
Is that ‘payload rating’ what is actually posted on YOUR truck’s driver side door pillar (yellow/white/black) label or from a brochure?

Every truck is unique depending on vehicle weight. Payload is calculated as GVWR minus curb weight.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
Is that ‘payload rating’ what is actually posted on YOUR truck’s driver side door pillar (yellow/white/black) label or from a brochure?

Every truck is unique depending on vehicle weight. Payload is calculated as GVWR minus curb weight.
Good question! That is what is both on my truck and what is on the RAM website when I input my VIN # on their towing tool.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #11

Not enough. You will have 1400 useful after loading the 4 wheeler. Water will be 800, and the gas tank is 30 gallons, so that is 180 more. That leaves 420 or so for food, dishes, bedding, cloths, a grill and a 6 pack of beer.

As far as the truck rating goes, I am of the opinion that the rear tires are the weak link. Look at the side wall and see what the tire rated for. Weigh the back axle empty and subtract that from the tire rating. I have found that most SRW 3500's have tires rated at 7,280 for the pair. Some are 7500. A typical SRW 3500 pickup had an empty rear axle weight of about 3,500 before adding the hitch. You can put about 3,800 lbs on that axle. By the way, if you look at the door sticker for rear axle rating you will find that it is the exact same number as the rating on the tires.

To me door stickers are pretty arbitrary. I looked at a 3500 Chev. SRW recently that had a useful load according to the door sticker of 4,200. The truck weighs 8500. Add the two together and you are exceeding the total 12,100 GVWR of the truck by 600 lbs. My 3500HD has a door rating of 3927 the truck weighs 8400 on a port of entry scale. So my truck has a sticker that leaves 300+ over the GVWR rating of 12,100. I don't know how the factory determines all these numbers, but a lot of it doesn't make sense to me.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
Not enough. You will have 1400 useful after loading the 4 wheeler. Water will be 800, and the gas tank is 30 gallons, so that is 180 more. That leaves 420 or so for food, dishes, bedding, cloths, a grill and a 6 pack of beer.

As far as the truck rating goes, I am of the opinion that the rear tires are the weak link. Look at the side wall and see what the tire rated for. Weigh the back axle empty and subtract that from the tire rating. I have found that most SRW 3500's have tires rated at 7,280 for the pair. Some are 7500. A typical SRW 3500 pickup had an empty rear axle weight of about 3,500 before adding the hitch. You can put about 3,800 lbs on that axle. By the way, if you look at the door sticker for rear axle rating you will find that it is the exact same number as the rating on the tires.

To me door stickers are pretty arbitrary. I looked at a 3500 Chev. SRW recently that had a useful load according to the door sticker of 4,200. The truck weighs 8500. Add the two together and you are exceeding the total 12,100 GVWR of the truck by 600 lbs. My 3500HD has a door rating of 3927 the truck weighs 8400 on a port of entry scale. So my truck has a sticker that leaves 300+ over the GVWR rating of 12,100. I don't know how the factory determines all these numbers, but a lot of it doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks for th input.

If I remember correctly, I read these axles are actually rated at ~10k. As you said, the payload capacity is limited by everything else including tires. Overall I'm not too worried about payload. With the SxS in the BACK garage, I don't think it is likely I will exceed my payload rating.....

My biggest concern is the GVWR of the trailer itself. I will weigh it when I actually get it and can get to a weigh station, but till then it's all just a guessing game. What are the symptoms of being over on the GVWR of the trailer? (outside of the legal/insurance spiel obviously.) What are the actual risks and outcomes in the real world?

Side question... Does the generator on these pull from that 30gal toy tank or does it have a seperate fuel source? I assume it's tapped into the 30gal.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #13

It seems like there is alot of split opinion on how much CCC is enough. I think some if it may be my own fault for not providing more context. I tink it is important for you guys to know that the plan for this trailer is mostly 3-4 day trips, with maybe an occasional longer trip like for a week.

If you full time in these or if you go for months at a time, I can imagine that you need alot more things and need to plan for alot more situations than quick getaways.

So hopefully that context helps.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for th input.

What are the symptoms of being over on the GVWR of the trailer? (outside of the legal/insurance spiel obviously.) What are the actual risks and outcomes in the real world?

Side question... Does the generator on these pull from that 30gal toy tank or does it have a separate fuel source? I assume it's tapped into the 30gal.
Symptoms would be excessive squatting, tires showing signs of overload, or actually going across a scale. Actual risks to the trailer in the real world could be blown tires and the damage they cause, broken shackles and axles, broken springs, bent or broken trailer frames, insufficient braking. I'm sure there are others. Lippert frames (the most common RV frame) seem to be manufactured to the bare minimum standard. I personally know of two frames that have been damaged by just a rough railroad crossing. Don't know if they were overloaded or if it was a case of poor materials and workmanship.

Fuel for the generator is usually supplied from the tank that is also for the toy.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote