Team, I have a few questions and this is going to be a long one so grab some popcorn!
Long time lurker! We are moving this summer from VA to TX and rather than try to rush it on finding a house when we get down there we have decide to get an RV to live in for a few months while we find something to Rent/Build/Buy in TX. I know this is not the cheapest option (I own a performance sailboat so I am used to holes where you go to dump your money) but the adventure w/the fam is priceless. Now to the details:
Tow Vehicle - 2021 F350 SRW 6.2, 4706lbs payload (looking to keep pin weight around 3k or less)
We have decided on a Toy hauler not because we have heavy toys but because we have lots of hobbies with big things (paddle boards/Kayaks/windsurfing board/dingy sailboats) I do have a Harley but really probably won't use it for that much.
5ers- So we have been looking for a few months now and we have honed in on these models
- GD 320G, 350G, 350M, 351M and our favorite the 2018 354M (one with a dinette however we have only found one)
- Dutchmen Voltage 3605, 3615 and the Endurance 3556.
I am not worried about quality on the GD's everyone loves them and they have great resale. So most of my questions are gear'd towards the Dutchmen.
1) Insulation - We are going to be in SATX and will put a 3rd AC in the toy hauler section of whatever we buy, but is there a real difference in the insulation for Hot weather? IE should I only be looking for the weather packages from the various companies? We really like the price/layout of the Endurance 3556 but it doesn't have the weather package.
2) Axels/suspension - I see that a lot of folks upgrade their suspensions with various parts (beefier shackles and do dads). How to tell if one is better than the other? Or is this just something I am going to do no matter what rig?
3) Genny - How hard to install after the fact? Prep packages just mean that the wires and firebox are there but you still have to figure out fuel lines and exhaust right?
4) Couches - Our most RV couches modular? We really need a place to eat as a family (very important to us) but the garage will most likely be a kids room/mess). So our thoughts are to take the 4 couch and remove the middle sections and put a folding dinette there. Anyone figure that out?
5) Water heater - So we both have a gym at work so odd are we won't use the shower while we are full timing it but for kids/and camping conditions. Is a 6 gal really that bad or is this a you don't know until you try it out for your family kind of thing?
6) Pin weight - Is it manufactures number w/ or w/o toys? I figure if it's that bad I can put my full tool box (about 1k) when we are running light or something.
7) Beaver tail - Any cool ideas on how to make that flat? or does everyone just make up a plywood wedge thing? Aftermarket boxes?
8) What am I missing?