Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Considering a swivelwheel

I've been reading on these the last few days. It would open up a bunch of 5ers we could look at. I'm just having trouble convincing myself it's a realistic way to go. Our plan was to get a toy hauler and a golf cart but after looking at toy hauler pin weights and me being a srw3500 with limited payload we're limited in what toyhauler we can safely tow.

The problems I have convincing myself the swivelwheel is an option are the forces it would put on the rear of the 5er frame, what does it do if I have to go in or out of a steeper incline, and finding a place I trust to install it. I can weld but not to a point I would trust my welds for something like that. The overall length is another concern. I just keep having this feeling I'm forcing a square peg into a round hole. Just exploring all of our options. It certainly would open up more 5ers and it would open up 5ers that work better for us as a family versus a toy hauler. I've even entertained skipping the golf cart but want to explore all options before deciding one way or the other.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 02:32 PM   #2

Also need to know if it'll be legal everywhere you want to go . Some states and provinces it isn't.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Also need to know if it'll be legal everywhere you want to go . Some states and provinces it isn't.
Right...that'll be part of the process if I get that far along. I have to get past the physics part of it first. One of the places we go has a fairly steep drop to the drive....not so steep we were close to dragging or anything but steep enough for me to wonder what that swivelwheel would be doing back there.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

A second thought ; I always have them ; any 5er you consider ,check the frame manufacturer , some will void any warranty for any modifications.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
A second thought ; I always have them ; any 5er you consider ,check the frame manufacturer , some will void any warranty for any modifications.
That's actually a check mark in the swivelwheel's favor because if we go that route we will have a larger selection of 5ers to choose from and our money will go further (read better quality) than a toy hauler. That is an excellent tip though and something I will keep in mind if we do end up going this route. I just have the hardest time making decisions like these because I can always knit pick it to death.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:29 PM   #6

I would never ever use a product like that. My cousin bought one from a place in CA. It had a pair of swivel wheels. He used it to haul a Polaris Ranger. On his first trip he made it about 50 miles from home when something happened. He lost control of the 5ver, and crashed. The company denied any responsibility, too bad for you. He had to sue. He got the last laugh though. He paid with a Visa CC. The company hadn't been paid yet by Visa so he had Visa stop payment. They were not happy.
V10 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #7

Ok, can someone explain to those of us uninitiated in "swivelwheels", just what in the blue blazes a swivelwheel is? This is all new terminology to me.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Ok, can someone explain to those of us uninitiated in "swivelwheels", just what in the blue blazes a swivelwheel is? This is all new terminology to me.
https://www.cruiserlifts.com/
Old 09-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I think I would prefer a freedom hauler version. I just to not like the tiny wheels on a swivel wheel.
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #10

Clickable Link.

https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...nsport-systems

Interesting setup. I would sure want to see a few in operation before I bought into it however. There are probably some issues that I just cannot picture from a photograph.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban350 View Post
I think I would prefer a freedom hauler version. I just to not like the tiny wheels on a swivel wheel.
Those do appeal to me more although much more expensive. I watched all those videos at their site and did notice on one of the motorhome videos when it was turning into a parking lot with a dip one of the tires did come off the ground. That's where I wonder what kind of stress those potentially could put on the frame of a 5th wheel?
Old 09-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #12

I'm not a fan of any RV combination that you can't back up. I know there are thousands of folks out there traveling in their RV's that are set up where they can't back up but I always want that option.

Have you considered a Cricket instead of a golf cart? You can haul one of those on a luggage carrier.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I'm not a fan of any RV combination that you can't back up. I know there are thousands of folks out there traveling in their RV's that are set up where they can't back up but I always want that option.

Have you considered a Cricket instead of a golf cart? You can haul one of those on a luggage carrier.
You can back both of those up.....not like a regular trailer back there. The freedom hauler is pretty slick how it works...go watch those videos.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
You can back both of those up.....not like a regular trailer back there. The freedom hauler is pretty slick how it works...go watch those videos.
It certainly appears you can back them up (watched manufacturers video).

There are pluses and minuses to having a TH rather than a shorter fiver pulling a Freedom Hauler IMHO.

With a TH your golf cart (or any toy) will be protected while traveling. Your total combination will be shorter but you will have additional "living" area when camped. Almost any campground or camp site can handle a truck and a fiver, but not all can handle a truck, fiver, and dolly/trailer. With a truck/fiver/Freedom Hauler combination could you be overlength in some States?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote