Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #29

Mine is actually 13,100 as I had it weighed at the scale. That still leaves me with 3,900# which is a lot more than others have stated in this post.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2020, 06:35 AM   #30

We’re talking two axles Trailer‘s My 36 foot Has two 7000 pound axles with Salem tires I’ve been over the 2500 lb max for the 10 foot garage many times with 12,300 pounds on the trailer axles at the scale. This is Keystone Impact 311 fusion. The hitch is 2700 and I’m not exceeding the pin weight on my 2018 3500 Duramax. At the time of being weighed I had full water , 96 gallons of fuel and Full dresser Harley Davison 800 50 inch wide Buggie and equipment for two months Boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD85AFCB-019D-4669-AA5B-8174B08F4C4E.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	277893  
Roadglide54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:54 AM   #31

We’re talking dual axle cyclone. Specifically the 3600, 3612, 3713
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
We’re talking dual axle cyclone. Specifically the 3600, 3612, 3713
I normally do not like to quote there’s been a lot of discussions about duel axle’s and over loading them above 35 feet. I have been following this thread and it seem to of got off track with the 2 axles being under rated and any toy hauler. I’m making my point that is incorrect. So I’m wondering did you just pop in and pop off . Have you forget what you have been reading? .
Old 03-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadglide54 View Post
I normally do not like to quote there’s been a lot of discussions about duel axle’s and over loading them above 35 feet. I have been following this thread and it seem to of got off track with the 2 axles being under rated and any toy hauler. I’m making my point that is incorrect. So I’m wondering did you just pop in and pop off . Have you forget what you have been reading? .

I’m the OP
Old 03-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
You can haul 4000 pounds as long as plenty of that weight is up front. I have also pulled the 352. I doubt your trailer is under 13k “empty”. It may be advertised UVW but by the time the dealer delivered it to you it was likely 13.5 or more. I don’t believe they weigh them at the factory with TVs or furniture as I have weighed a few right off the lot and they ALL weighed more than the stickered UVW.

The problem with 2 axle toy haulers is it can be extremely easy to put over 7000 pounds on the rear axle if you load most of your cargo weight in the garage.

I have pulled an unusually high number of fivers. I have seen numerous two axle toy haulers overloaded just like this. IMO 2 axles work if you haul a single bike or a small golf cart. Any more and you will push the limits of the axles and quite often it also manifests in spring or hanger failures.

My rule of thumb is if you plan on hitting the GVWR with a toy hauler, have as much axle capacity as the total GVWR.
I assume My key stone impact is the exception I grossly overloaded it and come in under 2000 pounds Under the 14 k axels.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
I’m the OP
I know that I was referring to the op saying it’s easy to over load 2 14 k axles.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #36

Quote:
I know that I was referring to the op saying it’s easy to over load 2 14 k axles.

When the 3 TH I listed start with empty weights over 15k on a GVWR of 17,000 on 2 - 7,000lbs axles... yeah. It’s easy to overload the axles.

It’s great your TH has the reserve capacity, but the OP (me) didn’t discuss yours or other manufacturers’ offerings.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #37

Quote:
We’re talking two axles Trailer‘s My 36 foot Has two 7000 pound axles with Salem tires I’ve been over the 2500 lb max for the 10 foot garage many times with 12,300 pounds on the trailer axles at the scale. This is Keystone Impact 311 fusion. The hitch is 2700 and I’m not exceeding the pin weight on my 2018 3500 Duramax. At the time of being weighed I had full water , 96 gallons of fuel and Full dresser Harley Davison 800 50 inch wide Buggie and equipment for two months Boondocking.
Assuming Your trailer left the factory with zero options at 11,500 pounds-no genny and 1 AC unit.

If you loaded nothing else but the fuel and max 2500 pounds in the garage-and I mean NOTHING else you would be at your quoted scale weight of 15,000 pounds (you said 12,300 on axles and 2700 pounds pin).

So it does not seem possible that you are over-loaded over 2500 pounds in the garage and full load of fuel and “boondock” gear which would include 106 gallons of water-and since you have no genny would also include extra batteries and solar for me. Plus of course food and gear.

So something does not add up on your weights. Not saying you are not being honest but perhaps you should check another scale or the weight of your cargo may be much less than you presume. Please do not take my pointing out these glaring inconsistencies personally as I am sure your intentions are genuine. I am only suggesting you may actually be within your cargo limits of the garage.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #38

The following paragraph is a verbatim quote from a NHTSA Q&A PDF.

“The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.”

FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S10.4.1 states that the weight of full propane tanks must be included in the RV's UVW and the weight of on-board potable water must be treated as cargo.

Don’t let a dealer lie to you. The only way a vehicle certification label can be modified is by the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier as stipulated in 49 CFR part 567 (vehicle certification).

Example: A trailer’s certified GAWRs are 7000#. The consumer upgrades to 8000#. The axle rating on the certification label remains at 7000#. What really happens with that upgrade is called load capacity reserves.

The vehicle manufacturer provides water/waste tanks with excess capacities. It’s the consumer’s responsibility to insure that the total cargo capacity will not exceed the vehicle’s GVWR (the ultimate limiter).
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:49 PM   #39

Dangit, we had found a Cyclone 3713 and are (were) seriously considering purchasing it. But, after reading this thread, it seems we can even haul a SxS safely without being grossly overloaded. Ugghh. Sounds like this model Cyclone should really have been on a triple axle chassis.

Back to square one in our search and thanks for enlightening me to this model's limitation.
ThirdSpaceCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
On the other hand, I have 21000# of axle capacity and my GVWR is only 18,500#. Go figure.

Could be a built in cushion by the builder, but more likely a limitation of the frame. The spread between the axles can effect the combined capacity, mainly because of frame limitations. Spreading the axles disperses the loading at stress points (spring hangers) and gives better flexibility in load centers.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:30 AM   #41

IMO the trailer builder did not deceive the buyer. The information provided in post one is correct.

Buying highway vehicles has always been a "buyer beware" situation. A thorough inspection of the vehicle, including vehicle certifications would have prevented the OPs dilemma.

I cannot see any trailer manufacturer making changes to a legally equipped vehicle. To do it for one could cause a recall for all other like vehicles.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote