Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Look on the trailer for a bad ground connection point.

What he said. Probably one of the most common problems and can be very difficult to find.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2021, 05:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
What he said. Probably one of the most common problems and can be very difficult to find.
I second that motion and add this. Make a completely new ground wire to supplement the existing ground/s and see if that helps. Ground wire connections on RVs are subjected to exposure to the elements with cause corrosion and bad connections plus the bouncing/vibrations with can break wires. Add that to probable rushed and sloppy construction and you have a high potential for failure down the road.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #17

Soooo yeah. I understand brake wiring is stupid simple, nothing fancy or complex that is needed. Went down through the underbelly and checked every possible ground there, nothing bad, funky, loose, etc. Removed each ground I found, cleaned it up and re-secured it, including removing the main ground within the junction box.

12v testing throughout didn't show any crazy readings. Just absolutely MINDBLOWING what happened. I'm lost on this - this calls for someone wayyy more skilled than I am with electrical.

Played trailer tetris again today - sure enough all the way TO the yard I had brakes all the way there.

I'm starting to NOT think that the trailer brakes is the root cause of my issues, but something else in the 12v system, a short, ground, etc. Something, somewhere.
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #18

Well quite the interesting discovery and resolution.

First go run - dealer thought it was all fixed up. They did some body work repairs as well (had a de-lam on the fiberglass side) that they used the wrong clear coat on so I had to bring it back anyway. Took it out for Easter weekend and all seemed well. Made it about 30 miles, hit a transition on the highway and BOOM brake issues again. On and off the whole trip it did the same thing. Rough patch, off, rough patch, on.

They found some wiring that was frayed at the yellow connectors (not a butt connector but some other weird thing I've never seen but on electric trailer units) which was replaced.

Dropped it off again and they dug back into it again. This time went all the way down. That frayed wiring was one cause, but the larger concern was inside the hubs. One of the grease seals blew out along with some dust shields and let dirt/debris inside the brake drum. Magnet compromised, grease all over the drum and pads. Warranty covered all the repairs, going to pick it up Saturday and burnish the brakes down a stretch of lightly traveled highway to get them set.

Yay for not being sometime easy....and hooray for Lippert warranty covering everything.
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake