Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

First haul, but not as planned!

A few months ago, I purchased a Waterfall 819, to tow behind my Jeep Cherokee. It was a tough decision on whether I should go as light as possible with a single axle or go heavier and a twin axle. Twin axle won out, but other than the tow home, I haven't had the chance to take it out until recently.

We have a two week long trip planned in September to drive to New Jersey to see my family and then up to Maine, then swing back through Niagara Falls to return to Wisconsin. I want to get the rig out to test things out before the trip and we planned to get out this month. Last week, as I was riding my motorcycle to work (Hyosung GV250), the throttle cable broke and I was forced to pull over and walk the bike up to a farmer's house to park on their pad. I came back with the Toy Hauler and hauled the bike for the first time...

I learned I really need a wheel chock on this trip. The bike tipped over. Though no damage to the bike, a piece of trim did pop off the cabinet that I'm going to have to glue back up. Inspecting the cabinetry, I found that a mouse had built a nest in one of the drawers using my brake controller and trailer manuals as nesting materials. The books were all tore up and largely unusable, now. Awesome.

I tore the cabinet apart and looked everywhere underneath for an entrance. All through-cables and piping that I could find under the cabinet are sealed pretty well with caulking and rubber save a thin copper line behind the inverter. I sprayed in some Great Stuff, but I think the gap was too small for even a field mouse. Using my cell phone, I looked above the gray water tank. I think I found my entrance...

I see no filler sealant and the tank lifts up and down too easily for there to be anything there. I can't really get to this unless I take off a few brackets and, even if I do, I don't know that the sealant I'd put in there would hold as I raised the tank back into place. Taking a cue from Red Green, I pulled out the duct tape and filled in the gap between the floor of the trailer and the gray tank. Hopefully, this keeps the little buggers out! I really don't want to have to tear the bathroom apart to block up the gap around the drain line.

Anyway, first adventure under my belt. Now, I'm hoping to take the beast 6 hours away to see the Apostle Islands here in Wisconsin. Should be fun, as long as I can find a place to camp. Wisconsinites love camping in the summer, so pretty much everything is booked and I might be late to the party. Wish me luck - the islands look spectacular!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160713_201838.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	133774   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160716_100054.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	133776  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_140453.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	133777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160716_093324.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	133779  

Idiotfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wow, what a journey! You're gettin' broken in right
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Here's hoping the rest of the journey goes better.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
IF you're transporting your bike as pictured, then you need to tie the front end down differently. You should have the bike setting straight up, not leaning on the side stand, then with straps on each side of the handle bars COMPRESS the front shocks, this will keep the bike from tipping over, then straps on the rear as shown, more to keep the rear from sliding sideways then anything else.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
IF you're transporting your bike as pictured, then you need to tie the front end down differently. You should have the bike setting straight up, not leaning on the side stand, then with straps on each side of the handle bars COMPRESS the front shocks, this will keep the bike from tipping over, then straps on the rear as shown, more to keep the rear from sliding sideways then anything else.
This was after I got home and righted the downed bike. I had done as you say, but the strap slipped. How do you feed the strap through the handlebar? If I wrapped it around the handlebars, then when I cinch the strap,it would lean the bike over as it pulled to one side. I just fed over the bracket and hoped friction would keep it from slipping. I checked the force needed to move her before i coursed the gate and felt satisfied, buti was wrong. Straps slowed her enough that it wasn't a fast spill, but she still tipped.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:09 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
With my straps I have rubber coated metal hooks on each end. One hook thru the floor, the other over the handle bars, I put the ratchet end up at the handle bars.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
With my straps I have rubber coated metal hooks on each end. One hook thru the floor, the other over the handle bars, I put the ratchet end up at the handle bars.
Two straps for the handlebar, then? One on either side?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #8

Condor SC-2000 Trailer-Only Wheel Chock is what I have for my HD
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #9

soft straps

Use these on the handle bars to get better angles or clearance with your tie downs

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Straps-4-pack-capacity-strap/dp/B014QOSOLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469486848&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+soft+straps
Billua is offline   Reply With Quote