Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2022, 07:01 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Good to know. This site is like my wife, no problem spending money!! Now, disk brakes will be added to the build
Another thing, if you are buying new, and if you think you want to add a satellite system later, get it during the purchase.
Have it installed, and have the cost rolled into the loan, easier to pay an extra $3-4/month than coming up with $2500+ to get it later.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2022, 05:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmannyR View Post
Been boaters for decades and will be. Systems seem to be very similar.

We are set on the Heartland Cyclone 42 after looking at many different floorpans etc, including busses. What other Toy Haulers have the 2 balcony setups?

Want to make sure we are not overlooking any.

Currently have a 2005 Silverado 2500 Duramax that we pull our boat with. What are your thoughts on pulling the Cyclone 42 with the 2500? Other than regular maintenance and water pumps, truck has been solid. Hate to exchange it for newer (not new) with unknown history. But if its BEST, then I will.

Little late to the party.....you might or you might not have enough truck. If you are simply doing a few weekends a year and not going more than 100 miles here and there then you might get by with a 3/4 ton. If you are taking off across the U.S. for extended traveling then you are way short on youir TV.

We have been full time traveling in a F350 dually pulling a 4006 Cyclone, which is probably slightly heavier. There have been several windy days I could not have traveling without the dually plus there have been a couple hard stops I probably could not have made without the dually.

Run the numbers on your weights and don't try to fudge, stay within your limits and be safe my friend.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #17

Just adding a little more experience to the conversation...

We pull our Momentum Toyhauler with a f350 dually. Toyhaulers are definitely heavy on the pin weight as designed. I wouldn't want anything less than the 1 ton DRW to handle the payload demands.

Sent from my SM-N981U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmannyR View Post
Been boaters for decades and will be. Systems seem to be very similar.

We are set on the Heartland Cyclone 42 after looking at many different floorpans etc, including busses. What other Toy Haulers have the 2 balcony setups?

Want to make sure we are not overlooking any.

Currently have a 2005 Silverado 2500 Duramax that we pull our boat with. What are your thoughts on pulling the Cyclone 42 with the 2500? Other than regular maintenance and water pumps, truck has been solid. Hate to exchange it for newer (not new) with unknown history. But if its BEST, then I will.
You've gotten good advice on a truck, sounds like you're heading for a dually already (which is the right answer). Look at the F450 too, that's kind of a "ton and a half"; commercial tires, some more beef underneath. Not necessary for what you're doing, but you can never have too much truck and compared to a 350, there really are very few downsides (and little price difference).

I wanted to give you some good news! I was also a boater; a 30' SeaRay cruiser, and, man, are you in for a treat with RV maintance and prices! Stuff to work on, maintain and repair your RV are a FRACTION of what stuff costs for a boat. I remember going into West Marine, walking out with 2 connectors and a foot of wire and being 100 dollars poorer. Stuff for boats is absurdly expensive compared to RVs; even big stuff, blown hyd cylinders, redoing your whole suspension system; most between 1-2K. I'm not sure I ever took my boat out and spent less than 1K between fuel, repairs/maintenance/and slip fees.

Welcome to the RV world, my wife and I bought our first about 4 years ago and just sold it last week to buy another one, there's a lot to love about RV's for vacations, seeing new places and exploring a lot of areas you'd never see if not for an RV park there that draws you there. Enjoy!
Overtaxed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed1 View Post
You've gotten good advice on a truck, sounds like you're heading for a dually already (which is the right answer). Look at the F450 too, that's kind of a "ton and a half"; commercial tires, some more beef underneath. Not necessary for what you're doing, but you can never have too much truck and compared to a 350, there really are very few downsides (and little price difference).

I wanted to give you some good news! I was also a boater; a 30' SeaRay cruiser, and, man, are you in for a treat with RV maintance and prices! Stuff to work on, maintain and repair your RV are a FRACTION of what stuff costs for a boat. I remember going into West Marine, walking out with 2 connectors and a foot of wire and being 100 dollars poorer. Stuff for boats is absurdly expensive compared to RVs; even big stuff, blown hyd cylinders, redoing your whole suspension system; most between 1-2K. I'm not sure I ever took my boat out and spent less than 1K between fuel, repairs/maintenance/and slip fees.

Welcome to the RV world, my wife and I bought our first about 4 years ago and just sold it last week to buy another one, there's a lot to love about RV's for vacations, seeing new places and exploring a lot of areas you'd never see if not for an RV park there that draws you there. Enjoy!
When also towed with an F450 when we had our Raptor 5er. Even the turning radius was better on the 450 over the 350. Anyway, that is too much trailer for a 3/4 single axle truck. Remember, you also need to stop these things and the breaks are much larger on a dully than a single axle.

Tags
toy hauler