Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #1

Fiver(toy hauler) Jack

Any recommendations on a quality jack for changing a tire on Toy Hauler, thanks.
nclauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #2

If you have AUTO LEVEL on your trailer that is the best way to change a tire. Just use the AUTO Level feature to raise the tire off of the ground for changing.

If you don't have that feature have a road side assistance plan to do the tire changing for you.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #3

Harbor fright bottle jack, and thier extendable 1/2” breaker bar. The 1/2 cordless impact is pretty nice too.Doesn’t take up much room, cheap and has been very dependable. I have a triple axle, can’t get a conventional jack on in the middle.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
If you have AUTO LEVEL on your trailer that is the best way to change a tire. Just use the AUTO Level feature to raise the tire off of the ground for changing.

If you don't have that feature have a road side assistance plan to do the tire changing for you.
I believe LCI..Lippert strongly advises against using the auto level for changing tires.....and especially if there is no additional support for the trailer, like a jack or jack stands. YMMV!
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I believe LCI..Lippert strongly advises against using the auto level for changing tires.....and especially if there is no additional support for the trailer, like a jack or jack stands. YMMV!
I would not lift the rig high enough to get the wheels off the ground even though the auto level does that in cases of uneven ground.

All you need to do is lift the major load of the rig off the suspension. Then using a bottle jack lift the wheel you need to change. All you are really doing is articulating the suspension and lifting the weight of the wheel and axle on that side. You are not supporting the weight of the trailer on the bottle jack. The rig is stable and will not shift off the jack and fall on you. It is the best and smartest way to do it. Much better than ramps as with a ramp you are supporting too much weight of the rig on one wheel.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #6

I had a tire lose all pressure after we got to a campsite.

Cheap Harbor Freight jack works for me. But I'll admit, I haven't had to change the middle tire.

I did NOT use the leveling system as I would have brought the slides in first before lifting/moving the rig around and didn't want to deal with that at a campsite.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Will you better tell the folks at Cedar Creek that! They advertise that you can raise the entire trailer with the tires off the ground. I was even instructed by the folks of the Cedar Creek team to change my tire at a rally held by them in Elkhart IN.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Will you better tell the folks at Cedar Creek that! They advertise that you can raise the entire trailer with the tires off the ground. I was even instructed by the folks of the Cedar Creek team to change my tire at a rally held by them in Elkhart IN.

Wait till you get a shackle flipped wile doing this...you’ll never do it again.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm just passing info along that I saw in the Lippert Ground Control 3 manual that I have. I'm not preaching to anyone.....Cedar Creek, Keystone, G.D. Jayco....whoever. The info is there and each and everyone can do whatever they want with it....it's your toy!
Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm just passing info along that I saw in the Lippert Ground Control 3 manual that I have. I'm not preaching to anyone.....Cedar Creek, Keystone, G.D. Jayco....whoever. The info is there and each and everyone can do whatever they want with it....it's your toy!
It states “never work under fifth wheel while supported solely by the level up system”. It is advised-as any hydraulic system must- when there are no safeties in place if the system had a catastrophic leak failure. That is something that would not concern me for a tire change as I am not crawling underneath.

The level up is perfectly capable of lifting the trailer for a tire change. If you are going to go under the trailer I would heed the advice of the manual and use jack stands for safety.

Anyone wanting to overzealously take this warning statement as a forbidden practice would also have to heed the warning against jacking/lifting on anything other than the frame. That’s right-the manual warns AGAINST jacking the axle or suspension. Good luck carrying a jack tall enough for that task without blocking.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
Wait till you get a shackle flipped wile doing this...you’ll never do it again.
Will I am not going to lift the trailer 20 feet in and drop the axle suspension.

You only need to lift the trailer enough to removed wheel. I have done this with out any trouble when changing my tire at the Forest River rally two years ago.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
It states “never work under fifth wheel while supported solely by the level up system”. It is advised-as any hydraulic system must- when there are no safeties in place if the system had a catastrophic leak failure. That is something that would not concern me for a tire change as I am not crawling underneath.

The level up is perfectly capable of lifting the trailer for a tire change. If you are going to go under the trailer I would heed the advice of the manual and use jack stands for safety.

Anyone wanting to overzealously take this warning statement as a forbidden practice would also have to heed the warning against jacking/lifting on anything other than the frame. That’s right-the manual warns AGAINST jacking the axle or suspension. Good luck carrying a jack tall enough for that task without blocking.
From the Lippert Ground control 3.0 manual......

Lippert Components Inc. recommends that a trained professional be employed to change the tires on the trailer.
Ensure that the trailer is properly supported with jack stands or other adequate devices under the frame of the
trailer prior to commencing any service or repair procedure. Any attempts to change the tires or perform other
service while trailer is supported solely by the Ground Control 3.0 jacks could
result in death, serious injury, trailer or property damage.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Will I am not going to lift the trailer 20 feet in and drop the axle suspension.

You only need to lift the trailer enough to removed wheel. I have done this with out any trouble when changing my tire at the Forest River rally two years ago.

It can happen any time you lift a trailer off the ground without lifting by the axle, not as common on a tandem axle trailer, but a triple will do it every time.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
From the Lippert Ground control 3.0 manual......

Lippert Components Inc. recommends that a trained professional be employed to change the tires on the trailer.
Ensure that the trailer is properly supported with jack stands or other adequate devices under the frame of the
trailer prior to commencing any service or repair procedure. Any attempts to change the tires or perform other
service while trailer is supported solely by the Ground Control 3.0 jacks could
result in death, serious injury, trailer or property damage.
You do recognize that is the manufacturer trying to cover their a$% from stupid people who can hurt themselves playing in a sand box?

Of course standing in a RV supported solely by the Ground Control 3.0 jacks could result in death, serious injury, trailer or property damage.

So what is the point?

Tags
toy hauler