Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 08:33 PM   #1

Frame bending problem with bottom couch/beds in garage area

We just purchased an older (2009) Crossroads Cross Terrain 38UL. We've only hauled it home (350) miles and on one weekend camping trip so far. Our problem - The bottem beds that are fold over couches that face each other have angle iron the reinforce them. We had the bunk and the happijack overhead bunk both up while traveling recently. When we got home, the angle iron brace work is severely bent on both sides. We had a coleman TT toyhauler previously. The couches on that one folded up to the sides and you traveled with the couches on the walls. With this one, there seems to be way too much weight in the middle and it's sagging after only one trip. Has anyone seen this and what do we do about it so that we can travel with them up and load our toys underneath? My husband feels the angle iron used is too thin and just wants to beef that up with some thicker angle iron. We have no idea if the RV came this way or if it was added in and really should be used this way. Anybody have a clue?
Michelle R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle R View Post
We just purchased an older (2009) Crossroads Cross Terrain 38UL. We've only hauled it home (350) miles and on one weekend camping trip so far. Our problem - The bottem beds that are fold over couches that face each other have angle iron the reinforce them. We had the bunk and the happijack overhead bunk both up while traveling recently. When we got home, the angle iron brace work is severely bent on both sides. We had a coleman TT toyhauler previously. The couches on that one folded up to the sides and you traveled with the couches on the walls. With this one, there seems to be way too much weight in the middle and it's sagging after only one trip. Has anyone seen this and what do we do about it so that we can travel with them up and load our toys underneath? My husband feels the angle iron used is too thin and just wants to beef that up with some thicker angle iron. We have no idea if the RV came this way or if it was added in and really should be used this way. Anybody have a clue?
What brand is the bed lift? On our toy hauler the bed lift is a HappiJac system.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001575.pdf
https://www.lci1.com/happijac-power-bedlift
You may be able to get replacement parts from Lippert for the bed lift.
Our bed lift does fold up in the center and we travel with it in the up position. We carry a gas power golf cart and are full timers with our Road Warrior.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #3

Thank you so much for replying and especially for sending the link for the HappiJac owner's manual. We didn't have one and it will help tremendously.

Yes ours is a Happijac also and last night I watched some videos on it's operation and learned a lot. Our previous toyhauler was set up already and needed no adjustment to use the way we wanted. With the help of the videos and now looking through the owners manual, I think we'll get it figured out. At the moment, our RV is at the fix it shop for other things. Can't wait to get it home and go through the happijac system with a fine toothed comb. I don't think the previous owner had it figured out either as there seems to be no need for angle iron added to both sides of the couch configuration. I think we'll just remove it and take the couches down to the side wall for travel. Thank you again for your help.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #4

The placard on the HappiJac in my 2021 XLR Nitro says that the bed should always be in the up position when traveling. Mine does allow for the couch part to be up the sides, but that takes a lot of room away from the garage area when I have the RZR in.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle R View Post
Thank you so much for replying and especially for sending the link for the HappiJac owner's manual. We didn't have one and it will help tremendously.

Yes ours is a Happijac also and last night I watched some videos on it's operation and learned a lot. Our previous toyhauler was set up already and needed no adjustment to use the way we wanted. With the help of the videos and now looking through the owners manual, I think we'll get it figured out. At the moment, our RV is at the fix it shop for other things. Can't wait to get it home and go through the happijac system with a fine toothed comb. I don't think the previous owner had it figured out either as there seems to be no need for angle iron added to both sides of the couch configuration. I think we'll just remove it and take the couches down to the side wall for travel. Thank you again for your help.
If you need some parts there are a couple of RV Surplus places in White Pigeon, Mi.. They are:
https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/
and
https://bontragers.com/.
Also in Goshen is another place:
https://rainbowvarietystore.com/
If a day trip is needed there is also a great Amish bakery near Shipshewana called Rise & Roll. Great donuts. Also in Shipshewana is a place called Yoder's meat market. They have numerous types of cheese and spices along with other things.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #6

Yes that's true. We got looking at it again today and figured out that when the upper bunk was all the way up, we didn't have the locking pins in place - we didn't know they were needed. This system is older (2009) and not like our Coleman TT (2017) Everything was in place and automatic. The couch/dinette unit on the bottem doesn't have the brackets that fold down. So it HAS to be in the up postition when traveling. The only way for that to work is to have angle iron brackets on both sides to support the couch in the middle. It was all the way up where it was supposed to be but the upper bunk was resting on it too. With no locking pins and while traveling down the road, bouncing, both brackets bent serverely. We're probaby lucky the whole thing didn't come crashing down. I think we have it figured now and will have better luck traveling next time. I'm wondering if we can get the newer flip down brackets and attach the couch/dinette to those and be able to flip them down when we want to.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
If you need some parts there are a couple of RV Surplus places in White Pigeon, Mi.. They are:
https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/
and
https://bontragers.com/.
Also in Goshen is another place:
https://rainbowvarietystore.com/
If a day trip is needed there is also a great Amish bakery near Shipshewana called Rise & Roll. Great donuts. Also in Shipshewana is a place called Yoder's meat market. They have numerous types of cheese and spices along with other things.
Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it!

Tags
frame, problem