Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
We have a DRV Fullhouse JX450. Great floorplan. Good materials used in construction. Mediocre assembly. I would not buy again.

I have toured Luxe's factory. They have pro's and con's, and I would put them on par with DRV. Not sure if they are better overall, but the interior construction is definitely better. I prefer their decor as well, although new DRV's have gotten better. Not sure they are worth the price jump from DRV. Their toy hauler floorplans are ok, to me.

New Horizons - head and shoulders above the other two, from what I've seen. Can do alot of customization. Should have a 450 or better to tow, although they do sell smaller/lighter units.

For comparison purposes, new units, reasonably loaded:

DRV: 130-140k
Luxe: 150-180k
New Horizons Summit: 200-230k
New Horizons Majestic - Your bank account determines the limit, but it's pricey

Those are my top three - other than that, it's a crapshoot. Pick a floorplan, expect problems, and roll with it. Use the crap out of it while it's under warranty so all the manufacturing shortcuts are found and fixed.

It's hard to find a toy hauler floorplan that's liveable - decent kitchen and living space. Also, pay attention to CCC - many are surprisingly light in the cargo capacity.
I'd have to add that the luxe th that were probably going to have built is going to be around $190k and that's leaving allot of big ticket items off the build, like $6k gen set, $1k solar prep, $ 2.5k satellite, $9k fancy Tsunami paint, $3k fancy furniture, etc. I could very easily add another $25k of toys to it.
I would say there th loaded nicely goes from 180-200k . When fully loaded, it will go up to 225k. Now the luxe gold , you could save some money on but it's not a th.
Now on the new horizons th, they are the cats meow for sure, but at my research of pricing there th, I've found there generally at last$50k minimum more than the luxe. Being loaded nicely at arround $250k and a fully loaded pushing $300k +/-. they are Bohemouth beasts were there th pretty much requires a mdt or hdt truck because there just so heavy. Just look at there frames, the garbage truck i used to run didn't have a frame that dang good. If you can afford the new horizons and a hdt than that the path to take.
Now if you just got money falling out of your pockets, then spacecraft is for you with no cost limits, your a rock star, money is of no concern.
I personally fall between the hurry hurry push them through the cookie cutter production line and rock star status, even though in my head im a rock star, the best bang for my buck is probably going to be the luxe. I can custom pretty much whatever i want , there not rushed through and it takes 4-6 months to put one through and is shown detail and care, they may not use all the absolute Best vendors and suppliers but they are refined very well, and to boot, it appears there customer service tends to go above and beyond to make things right.
Im not saying anybody's pricing numbers are off, im just saying based on my research these are my numbers.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2021, 05:43 AM   #16

Sounds like a pretty good plan, congrats.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
I'd have to add that the luxe th that were probably going to have built is going to be around $190k and that's leaving allot of big ticket items off the build, like $6k gen set, $1k solar prep, $ 2.5k satellite, $9k fancy Tsunami paint, $3k fancy furniture, etc. I could very easily add another $25k of toys to it.
I would say there th loaded nicely goes from 180-200k . When fully loaded, it will go up to 225k. Now the luxe gold , you could save some money on but it's not a th.
Now on the new horizons th, they are the cats meow for sure, but at my research of pricing there th, I've found there generally at last$50k minimum more than the luxe. Being loaded nicely at arround $250k and a fully loaded pushing $300k +/-. they are Bohemouth beasts were there th pretty much requires a mdt or hdt truck because there just so heavy. Just look at there frames, the garbage truck i used to run didn't have a frame that dang good. If you can afford the new horizons and a hdt than that the path to take.
Now if you just got money falling out of your pockets, then spacecraft is for you with no cost limits, your a rock star, money is of no concern.
I personally fall between the hurry hurry push them through the cookie cutter production line and rock star status, even though in my head im a rock star, the best bang for my buck is probably going to be the luxe. I can custom pretty much whatever i want , there not rushed through and it takes 4-6 months to put one through and is shown detail and care, they may not use all the absolute Best vendors and suppliers but they are refined very well, and to boot, it appears there customer service tends to go above and beyond to make things right.
Im not saying anybody's pricing numbers are off, im just saying based on my research these are my numbers.

I'm not going to speak to the Luxe price, as it's been a few years since I talked to them. But I have a current, one week old build sheet on a New Horizons Summit 44 foot toy hauler that is right at $200k, and includes all the necessities and some of the luxuries. Probably optioned very similar to your Luxe. Weight should be around 25-26k pounds loaded for full time use. So, it is in the same ballpark as your Luxe, both in price and weight.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm not going to speak to the Luxe price, as it's been a few years since I talked to them. But I have a current, one week old build sheet on a New Horizons Summit 44 foot toy hauler that is right at $200k, and includes all the necessities and some of the luxuries. Probably optioned very similar to your Luxe. Weight should be around 25-26k pounds loaded for full time use. So, it is in the same ballpark as your Luxe, both in price and weight.
A fully loaded luxe would be the only comparison in price to a new horizons rig with the bare essentials. Luxe has gone up 4k in just the last 2 months on there frame alone. A 44' rig luxe rig would be towed with a 3500, a 44' new horizons would easily need a mdt or hdt. I will need you to prove me wrong on that acct. A luxe 44' empty weight is 21k with a gvwr of 25,999, the new horizons 44' empty weight starts off at luxes 25,999 gvwr just for there empty weight, so when you put your stuff and yours in it your well over 30k. The only way you can tow a new horizons with a 3500 is to not own a toy hauler model and go down to a much shorter length probably around 37'. If you could post new horizons th empty and gvwr weights that would be a great help and I'll say you got me on this one, hahaha.
All you have to do is go to luxe and new horizon build your own tool on websites and it becomes very clear very quick that when both are loaded fully there is about $50+k differance.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
A fully loaded luxe would be the only comparison in price to a new horizons rig with the bare essentials. Luxe has gone up 4k in just the last 2 months on there frame alone. A 44' rig luxe rig would be towed with a 3500, a 44' new horizons would easily need a mdt or hdt. I will need you to prove me wrong on that acct. A luxe 44' empty weight is 21k with a gvwr of 25,999, the new horizons 44' empty weight starts off at luxes 25,999 gvwr just for there empty weight, so when you put your stuff and yours in it your well over 30k. The only way you can tow a new horizons with a 3500 is to not own a toy hauler model and go down to a much shorter length probably around 37'. If you could post new horizons th empty and gvwr weights that would be a great help and I'll say you got me on this one, hahaha.
All you have to do is go to luxe and new horizon build your own tool on websites and it becomes very clear very quick that when both are loaded fully there is about $50+k differance.

You seem to know New Horizons pretty well - have you discussed a build with one of their salespeople? As I said, I have a build bid for 200k ish, and a dry weight under 20k for a 44 foot toy hauler. Guess they aren't being honest. I'm not sure what I'll do when they add all that money and weight later on, should I pull the trigger on it.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #20

Quote:
You seem to know New Horizons pretty well - have you discussed a build with one of their salespeople? As I said, I have a build bid for 200k ish, and a dry weight under 20k for a 44 foot toy hauler. Guess they aren't being honest. I'm not sure what I'll do when they add all that money and weight later on, should I pull the trigger on it.
I'd say there not being honest with one of us, but that wouldn't suprise us would it if I could get a 44' nh th under 20k lbs and close to $200k out the door, if tel luxe to take a flying leap. I can not agree or disagree with the price you quoted, i know the price I've stated, what the build tool shows, and dozens of chats with a few nh forum members. Those guys taught me allot. I can speak to the weight. I'm not sure what there smoking when they told you a 44' nh th would only weigh 20k lbs, at that weight the build quality wouldn't be too much better than the mass producers let alone a top tier top of the line construct.
Talk to the nh forum members. They take allot of pride in how beefy there frames are and how heavy they tip the scales at. The only time I heard one of them suggest to a potential nh rv buyer that they would be ok with a 3500 was on there shorter models 37-38'. They strongly discourage anyone even considering to use a 3500 on there big rigs of 42'+ and stand firm with suggesting to only go with hdt trucks. Those babies are heaaaaavvvveeeeeyyyyy. Imho, there is not a better built fiver in the mkt except maybe spacecraft but it comes with a huge weight and price. I personally feel it's way over kill, but there's no doubt about it, it will hold up the test of time. I mean the garbage truck I drove didn't have a frame like those things and my garbage truck could tip the scales at over 80k lbs. I chose luxe for the reason it's the best built fiver that my 3500 Can haul at maxed out capacity. My truck can do 43k gcwr, I'll be around 40k. I also love there interiors, customer service, so far, and I can get one for $200k and under. I urge anyone to get on as many owners forums as possible and compile as much research as you can so when you build the thing, you don't get surprised.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #21

What is an mdt or hdt Iím not familiar with those abbreviations..?
Cyclone4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #22

Medium duty truck, heavy duty truck, aka tractor
Old 03-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #23

Quote:
I'd say there not being honest with one of us, but that wouldn't suprise us would it if I could get a 44' nh th under 20k lbs and close to $200k out the door, if tel luxe to take a flying leap. I can not agree or disagree with the price you quoted, i know the price I've stated, what the build tool shows, and dozens of chats with a few nh forum members. Those guys taught me allot. I can speak to the weight. I'm not sure what there smoking when they told you a 44' nh th would only weigh 20k lbs, at that weight the build quality wouldn't be too much better than the mass producers let alone a top tier top of the line construct.
Talk to the nh forum members. They take allot of pride in how beefy there frames are and how heavy they tip the scales at. The only time I heard one of them suggest to a potential nh rv buyer that they would be ok with a 3500 was on there shorter models 37-38'. They strongly discourage anyone even considering to use a 3500 on there big rigs of 42'+ and stand firm with suggesting to only go with hdt trucks. Those babies are heaaaaavvvveeeeeyyyyy. Imho, there is not a better built fiver in the mkt except maybe spacecraft but it comes with a huge weight and price. I personally feel it's way over kill, but there's no doubt about it, it will hold up the test of time. I mean the garbage truck I drove didn't have a frame like those things and my garbage truck could tip the scales at over 80k lbs. I chose luxe for the reason it's the best built fiver that my 3500 Can haul at maxed out capacity. My truck can do 43k gcwr, I'll be around 40k. I also love there interiors, customer service, so far, and I can get one for $200k and under. I urge anyone to get on as many owners forums as possible and compile as much research as you can so when you build the thing, you don't get surprised.

Talk to New Horizons themselves. Build tool = inflated MSRP. There is a Summit version and a Majestic version. Majestic is heavier. I'm looking at the Summit.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #24

Ok, i have talked to nh, all tough it be over a year ago. The only way I could get a majestic is to go short, mi understand your getting a summit, so I've took tge liberty to post some pictures here of equally loaded with same options of luxe 44fbth and nh 44 th. There's is $60,000 differance just in the bar model with zero options. Then with all the same options on both models there is $70-$95,000 differance in price. Then i pulled the weight on a 2018 41' summit toy hauler, wich is shorter than yours and not quite as well built as the 21 models, the 18 gvwr is 23k. So to me it only makes sense,
Longer length
+ newer better built
= more weight than 23,000
Wich will be more than your 20,000lbs you were quoted.
Please prove me wrong and ill go get one instead of a luxe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210310-154741.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	320813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210310-155508.jpg
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	320814  

Name:	Screenshot_20210310-161629.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	320815  
Old 03-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #25

Here's the luxe pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210310-160820.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	320817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210310-161653.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	320818  

Old 03-10-2021, 04:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Ok, i have talked to nh, all tough it be over a year ago. The only way I could get a majestic is to go short, mi understand your getting a summit, so I've took tge liberty to post some pictures here of equally loaded with same options of luxe 44fbth and nh 44 th. There's is $60,000 differance just in the bar model with zero options. Then with all the same options on both models there is $70-$95,000 differance in price. Then i pulled the weight on a 2018 41' summit toy hauler, wich is shorter than yours and not quite as well built as the 21 models, the 18 gvwr is 23k. So to me it only makes sense,
Longer length
+ newer better built
= more weight than 23,000
Wich will be more than your 20,000lbs you were quoted.
Please prove me wrong and ill go get one instead of a luxe

Ok, I'm not trying to get you to buy a New Horizons, so I'm not proving anything. Go buy your Luxe and be happy with it. It's a good rig, I'm sure. But....two things:

I said the build tool MSRP = Inflated price. So...talk to a salesperson. I have, and I have a build sheet that shows the price. And it is significantly lower than what you are showing. On the same floorplan. There's this line in the pricing that says "Factory Direct Pricing" and reflects a $25k discount. There are a few other things in there too, but that should give you an idea.

If you pay MSRP on anything in the RV or automobile world, you are getting screwed. Brush up on negotiation skills.

I also said empty weight is below 20k pounds. You quoted GVWR of 23k, which is loaded weight. New Horizons shoots for 4-5k CCC, so that would tell me that empty weight of that specific trailer is below 20k pounds. Compare apples to apples.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Ok, I'm not trying to get you to buy a New Horizons, so I'm not proving anything. Go buy your Luxe and be happy with it. It's a good rig, I'm sure. But....two things:

I said the build tool MSRP = Inflated price. So...talk to a salesperson. I have, and I have a build sheet that shows the price. And it is significantly lower than what you are showing. On the same floorplan. There's this line in the pricing that says "Factory Direct Pricing" and reflects a $25k discount. There are a few other things in there too, but that should give you an idea.

If you pay MSRP on anything in the RV or automobile world, you are getting screwed. Brush up on negotiation skills.

I also said empty weight is below 20k pounds. You quoted GVWR of 23k, which is loaded weight. New Horizons shoots for 4-5k CCC, so that would tell me that empty weight of that specific trailer is below 20k pounds. Compare apples to apples.
I will apologise, on missing where you said empty weight under 20k. ,i don't ever go by empty, all I care about is gvwr so i can haul my max possible, ill never haul an rv based on empty Weight.
Ass far as negotiating, i pretty much got that covered, i negotiated for 6 months on a 90k truck and got them down to out the door at 69890 and almost full retail on my trade, not full trade, full retail. Yes I'm bragging, I'm proud of it. when your retired and nothing else better to do but research stuff all day and weight out salesmen, you can win big. As far as brushing up on my skills, i think I'm pretty fair. I would never ever settle on 25% off any new rv msrp price, i won't do it unless its at least 30-35% off bare minimum.
Im also quoted a 41' 18 model at 23k gcwr. A 44' would be significantly higher, all I'm asking you too do, don't believe me, please get on the owners forums for nh and ask those guys how much a 2021 44' summit toy hauler would weigh at gvwr and pin weight. that's all that matters, all Empty weight tells you is how much stuff you can put into the rv legally, but after you leave the factory, you will never be that weight again, from liquids, fluids and your everyday stuff that you would never think of, then not to mention all llllllllll the extra cargo and equipment. We being full timers, there's stuff in my rv that will never be removed, even when we trade it in, this thing will weigh at least 500lbs more than the empty sticker weight, blinds, shelves, thicker mattresses, batterys, extra tire, etc on tons of little upgrades. Stick with just trying to settle around gvwr and you'll be better off, imo.
I honestly 100% would do a nh 44' if it came in under 26k lbs and under $200k in a heart beat. Nh is a much better rig by far bar none. Those nh frames are unfortunately to beefy for me to be able to haul around with my 3500.
I will have to politely disagree with you on the weights. The dealers lie all the time about the weights, you'll never know untill you see the tag on it and then hit the scale. Just talk to the nh guys. As far as your deal, again I can't speak to that, all I can speak to is a yr ago I had a nh build I got quoted on, all though it be a majestic, not your summit, it was going to be over $50k differance for the same amenities as a fully loaded luxe, and I'm not talking generators, solar, special paint, and high end batteries and satellites being on either build. If I was to add all that, omg. I'm not pushing luxe, nh is way better, i just can't get one under $200k with all my normal amenities , or one that wouldn't break my truck, and i can go 43k gcwr, it's not like I got a feather weight hahaha. We just have different data being givin to us. Talk to some owners about weight, not the dealers or web. Respectfully disagreeing with out malice or any ill will.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #28

I guess everyone has their different tastes and wants in this world. I'm not sure why someone would spend close to $200,000 for a TH in the first place. I understand spending the bucks on a nice diesel pusher because we just sold a 3 year old one we had purchased new. But by definition, "toy hauler", aren't you getting that type of fiver to haul motorcycle(s) or some other type of item that is used outdoors?

We are perfectly comfortable with our Cyclone 4006 as full time travelers. The $80,000 plus didn't break the bank. We don't spend 20 hours a day inside of it because we are out riding or doing other stuff.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, full time, toy hauler