Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #1

Garage venting

We have an older (2009) 5th wheel. We used to have a 2017 TH and it had vents in the garage area to open when traveling with gas powered toys in tow. This garage has no vents. Are you supposed to just open the windows on either side to vent going down the road? They crank out so don't really like that idea but may have no other choice.
Michelle R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 05:02 AM   #2

I would think that as long as you didn’t have any open containers of gasoline in the garage with an ignition source (pilot light of some type, electrically recycling refrigerator or freezer) while en route that air infiltration into or through the coach would be adequate to keep the atmosphere below the LEL.

YMMV 😀
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:13 AM   #3

If you have a modern toy (aka fuel injected), you should not have any smells/odors from the toy, unless you have a leak. I have never had a fuel/exhaust issue in my toy haulers with my motorcycles, and only have on occasion opened a vent when it is really hot outside while traveling.

Carbed toy, good chance you may need to open the vents/windows while traveling.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #4

Just crank up your roof vents as a pre caution , good to go
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
If you have a modern toy (aka fuel injected), you should not have any smells/odors from the toy, unless you have a leak. I have never had a fuel/exhaust issue in my toy haulers with my motorcycles, and only have on occasion opened a vent when it is really hot outside while traveling.

Carbed toy, good chance you may need to open the vents/windows while traveling.
I agree with above. We have never smelled any type of fumes or anything else in the garage while hauling our motorcycle (2019 Harley). Even though we have two garage wall vents we don't use them for the purpose they were designed for. I use one of the lower ones as a dryer vent when we run the clothes dryer instead.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the replies. Guess we'll start by opening the roof vent and see how that goes.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Open the door(s) a few inches.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Open the door(s) a few inches.
I'm just guessing here, but if you opened a door while going down the road wouldn't that possibly create an issue? I doubt the door on my TH would handle that very well, plus I would certainly look stupid to other driver's passing me IMHO.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle R View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Guess we'll start by opening the roof vent and see how that goes.

If you're going to drive with the vent open, I suggest you get a vent cover.
I don't think the lid on the vent can handle the airflow. May crack or break loose.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #10

Good idea! thanks!
Old 11-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #11

Max air vent covers work great especially for keeping out sny rain. However, the standard lid on a roof vent can handle it too. We ran a standard lid on a truck shell cap for years - never an issue.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Max air vent covers work great especially for keeping out sny rain. However, the standard lid on a roof vent can handle it too. We ran a standard lid on a truck shell cap for years - never an issue.

He wants to run with the vent open. I just feel that the constant airflow over the vent lid would cause enough vibration to damage the so called plastic hinge. And he can run through rain.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Just crank up your roof vents as a pre caution , good to go

But, put a vent cover over the vent. The plastic lid on the vent won't take the constant wind.

Tags
vent