Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #1

Gas or LP Generator

I've been enjoying all the posts and comments from this group and now need some help. My wife and I are looking at 5th wheel RV toyhaulers and would like to boondock more than plugging in at a RV park. Some of the RV's we're looking at have gas generators and a couple others have LP generators. I've done some searching and haven't found much other than some general comments that LP ones seem to go through fuel quite a bit more than gas ones do. What are the pros and cons with each from your experience and fuel consumption you've seen versus electrical use? Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA
adilione is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
3TV

I think for me the decision would come down to how much time I planned on using the RV in a colder climate. We spent a four day weekend in the RV in early February this year, and burned through 12.5 gallons of our 15 gallon supply of LP gas while just using the furnace and stove top. The fridge is a residential fridge and is always on electric. There wouldn't have been much LP gas left to run a generator, and the generator was on frequently that weekend because we used it to run the television and DVD player while watching movies. We would not have had enough LP gas to run everything for the weekend, even though 15 gallons is a reasonable amount to start with. Instead, we had 15 gallons of LP gas to run what we needed to with LP gas, and another 30 gallons of gasoline in the on board pump station, that also runs the generator. We had plenty of fuel with the generator running on gasoline.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #3

Absolutely everything I've read on generators boils down to the fact that LP generators use a horrible amount of propane. Apart from that, functionally, they perform the same.

Considering you have a toy hauler, have you considered a generator on wheels that's gas powered? We do not have a toy hauler, but a Montana High Country fifth wheel. I have 2 Cummings Onan P4500i inverter generators that can be run in parallel and power 50 amps and absolutely everything electric in my camper with no problems at all. (2 air conditioners and microwave, electric on the water heater, residential refrigerator, all appliances, everything, same as being hooked up to shore 50 amp power.)
Old 03-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #4

If you get a toyhauler, the genny is going to be gas. That is to fuel toys that you are expected to bring with you. If you get a non-toyhauler, then the genny will be LP.

Brandi
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

The toy hauler we're looking at has the below bed garage and not a full dedicated space like a traditional toy hauler does so with our ATV, there isn't a lot of left over room for much. Maybe a foot in front and back. Less than that on either side. Some of the RV's we're looking at have a gas and a couple of others have LP. Not sure why but am assuming the LP ones they don't anticipate the owners boondocking as much. Most now have 2-30# LP tanks but from what everyone is saying, we'll either run out or have to cut the trip short with running it for any length of time.
adilione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilione View Post
I've been enjoying all the posts and comments from this group and now need some help. My wife and I are looking at 5th wheel RV toyhaulers and would like to boondock more than plugging in at a RV park. Some of the RV's we're looking at have gas generators and a couple others have LP generators. I've done some searching and haven't found much other than some general comments that LP ones seem to go through fuel quite a bit more than gas ones do. What are the pros and cons with each from your experience and fuel consumption you've seen versus electrical use? Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

If you are looking at toy haulers with a built in generator and on board gas tank (like mine) then go for gasoline for sure!!!! No question.

I just bought a 2011 Fuzion and the previous owner took out the gas gen and put in a propane gen. Why, I don't know. My trailer has 48 gallons of gasoline!

That freaking thing was ripping through propane like crazy (one 30# tank a day). I had to carry 4 thirty pound tanks and that wasn't enough if using the air conditioner on hot days. I just bought the parts and converted it back to gas. I actually made a video about the change over on my YouTube Channel.

Gas all the way!
mwachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #7

I suspect if buying new you could have a dealer install either a propane or gas generator. In my model I have duel 50 gallon gasoline tanks, one fuels the generator and one fuels toys. However, my dual 30 pound propane bottles sit in the front pretty close to my generator so I would think it wouldn't be a big deal to go either way on the initial install.

Here is how I would look at it. Right now if I fill both my tanks I can run my generator for a very long time with a heavy load. When my generator tank runs dry I can pump from the toy tank and refill it with another 50 gallons. If I was running off my 2 propane bottles I would only be running it about 2 days with a good load on.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator