Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #1

Gas smell when sleeping in Toyhauler?

Hello All, I've got a slide in truck camper (Four Wheel Camper with pop up roof) and a motorcycle trailer, but am considering going with a small toyhauler instead (about 20'). My goal is to have my motorcycles (dirtbikes and streetbikes) and mountain bikes safe inside when I'm roadtripping/camping. I do alot of weekends to the coast and mountains here in California. Plus, even a small toyhauler would be roomier than my popup truck camper.

My concern is the fuel smell from the motorcycles. It would seem that if you are sleeping in the same room as the motorcycles, you would smell the gas.

I've seen a couple toyhaulers with a front popout bedroom, which would help the sleeping issue. When cooking, eating, watching TV, etc in the main part of the toyhauler, are you dealing with gas smells? I don't forsee rolling the motos out each time I hang out in the toyhauler, in fact, the reason for the toyhauler is to keep the toys safe inside, instead of locked up outside.

Thanks
hpcbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #2

I have only owned street bikes and UTVs so gasoline smells have never been an issue for me. I imagine with dirt bikes it may be a different story.

If gas smell is a possibility-you should not consider a 20 foot toyhauler if your plan is to sleep with the bikes stowed. Either stick with what you have (maybe upgrade truck campers) OR go with a larger toyhauler with a dedicated garage.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:03 AM   #3

Any gas operated vehicle, bike, go-cart, 4 wheeler, etc, has the potential to have a gas smell if not properly maintained or fueled. I only carried well maintained HD street bikes, never carried fuel in the garage and never fueled in the garage. I didn't have fuel smell but I also had the garage as it's separate room.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #4

i have owned 4 toyhaulers with open floor plans. i have hauled dirt bikes, quads and sand rails. i keep all of my toys maintained and only travel with 1/2 tank of fuel as a general rule. i have never smelt fuel from the toys. now on my sand rail and the quads it is very easy to get to the tank vent end. i take a rubber band , a sandwich bag with a paper towel inside of it and place it over the end. again i as well as many other keep our toys maintained so " gas fumes" are not a problem. apparently there are far more lazy people that do not keep there toys maintained. i say that because the vast majority of toyhaulers coming out of indiana have separate garages any more. the west coast built units do not, they are open floor plans. eclipse, genesis supreme and pacific coach works.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. DS Race, your idea about rubberbands/papertowels and baggies over the vent hose is a great idea! I'll have to test that with my motos in a hot garage or something similar.

Apparently RVs are a hot item here in California (maybe nationwide due to Covid) right now. Everything used is going for a premium price and sells right away. I'll probably have to continue my research this year and look for something used and affordable next year.
hpcbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #6

so the rv shortage is nationwide. all the plants were closed due to covid. the last bit i heard was most dealerships didnt expect to see new models in until nov, if there lucky. the lots back here are shrinking and 30% doesn't exist anymore. used prices have gone up to as a result of it.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, smell