Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 02:30 AM   #1

Question Grand Design Momentum

Looking to replace my giant lemon Heartland Cyclone, worst RV I have ever owned. But enough of that. I am downsizing my toy hauler since my wife has passed a few months ago and was looking at the Grand Design 328. It appears well layed out in a compact package and since I would like to hit some of the national parks and such I need a small rig, I believe 30' really is the limit for alot of the parks but 36' will work in many? Grand Design seems to be well build and well represent by many of the dealer ships I have visited. I will be full timing and just wondering how they hold up. Plus, do they do well in cold weather? I only need enough room for my Harley in the back but like having the garage as a multi-purpose room.
meterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #2

I think that floor plan would be perfect for one person full timing. I have never owned a Grand Design but there is one thing for sure, it has to be a better manufacturer than Heartland. We looked at some GD floor plans when we were shopping but just couldn't agree on one.

I will NEVER buy another one of their products again, even though I think they are a lot of product for the price I paid. My issue with them is they don't honor their 1 year warranty and are a total joke to deal with.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #3

Sounds like a good plan! Know someone w a Grand Design and they love it. Looks at Outdoor RV also.
IMXCITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:24 PM   #4

We purchased our Momentum 350M new in 2016. No significant issues with it after 6 seasons and thousands of miles. We are very happy with our unit. Its been to all of the states in red in 6 seasons even though we are still weekend warriors. [emoji16]

Good luck with your purchase.Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20190726-223138_Chrome.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	345037
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #5

Hey meterguru, on your Cyclone, not to hijack thread, but what didn’t you like or what issues did you have, a new one is on my short list of rigs for our new toyhauler. Thanks
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
Community Moderator

If you are going to full time in it and plan on keeping it for a time, look at the MorRyde Independent Suspension system. We had it installed on our Road Warrior in October 2020, plus we had disc brakes installed in June 2019. Two of the best upgrades we ever did.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:35 AM   #7

Got back to your message hope the info helps and lets you know what to look out for.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:37 AM   #8

If my new rig does not have the MorRyde system it will be one of the first upgrades, Thanks.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meterguru View Post
If my new rig does not have the MorRyde system it will be one of the first upgrades, Thanks.
more then likely it will not have the IS System, unless you ordered it. For the price of the system for a tri-axle we paid $6500 in October 2020. That was without disc brakes, we already had disc brakes installed by Performance Trailer Braking. Disc brakes ran us about $4300.
Seen a post where people are now scheduling out to 2023 for the IS system to be installed. When we did it there was a 5 month wait period, so it does not surprise me it could be about a year or more out.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #10

Hi there...we're looking at a HT Cyclone 2019...what is wrong with the brand? Can you expand pls?
vrusso42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrusso42 View Post
Hi there...we're looking at a HT Cyclone 2019...what is wrong with the brand? Can you expand pls?
Heartland is plagued by quality issues unfortunately (or at least many Heartland owners will tell you this). I owned a 2014 Heartland Prowler years ago and we experienced some of those first hand. Primarily our issues were electrical, where switches, slide motors, etc.. would short out at the worst of times. The other main issue that caused us to dump ours was that the back window leaked at the seal, down into the wall, and rotted out the back wall. We found that issue by accident a couple of years in. Not to mention as some have said, Heartland was zero help any time there was a problem.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrusso42 View Post
I don't think the Heartland Cyclone is a bad value for the price. I am basing this on our ownership experience of having everything from new Keystone Montana fivers to a new Newmar DP.

The main issue I have with Heartland is their 1 year original warranty. Every RV will have quality issues, they are not built to the same standards as automobiles or trucks. However, with Heartland if you can not take it back to your selling dealer or get into another Heartland dealer then you might be out of luck during their first year getting anything fixed. They claim you can use an "outside" vendor but there is paperwork that the vendor has to deal with first that turns most of them off. Of course Heartland won't let any of their customers return to their factory for repairs so that is out. Also, when you call Customer Service for electrical drawings or other info they have zero knowledge and are never helpful.

We have been in our 2021 Cyclone for almost 10 months now. I have fixed 80% of the issues myself and have the unit almost perfect. Would I buy a Heartland again? Only if I wasn't full time and could take it to my local selling dealer.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #13
Community Moderator

We have had a different experience with Heartland.
Our first was 11 months into the first year the water heater inlet cracked and started leaking. Heartland pre-authorized a mobile repair tech to come to us to repair it. We had to pay the service call, but they paid the repair/labor/parts.

The second was 14 months into the purchase, the floor was getting soft, because of the way the mobile tech wrote the request for the water heater issue Heartland sent us to a place in Goshen and paid 100% for the repair.

The third big issue was 2 1/2 years into our rig. We experienced a sidewall crack above the big slide, in the upper left corner to the roof. Heartland paid 100% for the repairs at that time.

Yes there was a clause in the sales agreement, at the dealership, stating "for warranty work the buyer must return the unit to the dealer of purchase". I suspect in most sales agreement. But when I contacted Heartland they worked with us.

Tags
grand design, momentum