Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #1

Have you REALLY weighed your Toy Hauler???

For the last couple of weeks I have been weighing my TH and I have found the the Tongue Weights can range from 1100#'s to over 1700#'s, just by the way and where I load and or move these 3 items around.

As an example, here is what I have found so far:

1) No toys, no fresh water, all tanks empty -TW = 1440#'s, (2008 OEM rating = 1200#'s- 2010 OEM rating=1380#)

2) No toys, full fresh water, (96 gal) -TW = 1560#'s

3) No toys, no fresh water, full-Grey (47 gal) and Black- (50 gal) -TW = 1751#'s

4) ATV only, no Fresh water -TW = 1220#'s

5) ATV only, full fresh water -TW = 1340#'s

6) ATV only, no fresh water, full Grey and Black -TW = 1531#'s

7) ATV, SXS, full fresh water -TW = 1190#'s

8) ATV, SXS, no fresh water, full Grey and black -TW = 1381#'s

OEM weight rating on TV receiver hitch is 1250#'s Max for TW.

Trucks weighs:
Front = 4860#'s
Both= 8880#'s
Rear= 4620#'s
Toy Hauler = Total Weight Empty = (No H20 or ATV) + 1 battery + 1-40 gal LPG Tank Full = 7606#'s
ATV weighs 740#'s,
SXS weighs 1500#'s (with normal loads as used)

The location of these tanks are as follows, Fresh H2o is located 60" in front of the dual axles center line, Grey tank is 108" in front of of the axels CL and the Black tank is 257" in front of the axles CL.

Kinda looks I'll need to change the TV reciever hitch to the Ford OEM rating of 1700#'s to cover all bases and the 1400# WD hitch will need upgrading also. This has been a real eye opening experience, and I am glad I found out this information before I start loading the TH, need to keep a sharp eye on the weight/balance/loading information to have a safe towing and camping experience, as I don't want to upset the apple cart.

What are your weights????????????
Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
That's quite a revealing post. Thanks for all your efforts in getting those weights.

As I'm sure you're aware, TTs walk a fine line with tongue weight. Too much and one exceeds tow vehicle and receiver hitch weight ratings. Too little and trailer sway tries to enter the picture. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Rusty
As a results of the first couple of weigh in sessions and some figures did not seem to be normal, I started hunting around for the reasons why, I finally found on another site, with another RV'er and mechanical engineer (all combined into 1) and he provided the answers and formulas to help me figure out what was going on.

I have been doing some very calulated/carefull loading weighing sessions to finally see the results on how the amount and loading spot of the water tanks and or toys hauled can greatly change the performance of the TV/TH etc.

I am now upgrading the TV reciever hitch and WD hitch to cover these problem areas. After finding that the OEM TW for the TH was 1380#'s (rating), the main reason for these weighing sessions etc, was an eye opening experience. Being that my TH has a GRWR of 12,000#'s, I could load up to another 5000#'s and still be withing weights limits of the TV/RV etc.

I wonder just how many other TH (being they have the potental to be over loaded, due to the open/free space available in these designs) as compared to the standard TT who's loading/carrying space is limited, and they don't realize just what is happening to TW,Axle rating etc.

I don't know if you allow posts referencing other RV sites etc, here is the info on that site that has the info, be sure to read all the posts, as it is a great learning experience, if you are not aware of what might be going on.

See info here:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing
the section on WD Hitch and how it works.

Tia,
Don
Old 08-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #4

Here is some of the final facts/information learned from the weigh sessions. With a total of 96 gal of fresh H20 on board, using that up puts the Grey tank full with 47 gallons and the Black tank full at 50 gallons.

Both of these tanks are located in front of the dual axles, the combined weight of this 96+ gallons of H20 causes the tongue weight to increase to 2000#'s (weighed), by loading the Honda Rubicon 500 (740#'s) in the rear of the garage, right up next to the ramp door, the tongue weight decreases to 1750#'s (weighed).

You can bet that I'll dump those tanks ASAP, before towing very far. With the 1700# Husky WD hitch and new OEM 1700# reciever installed, at least I have some margin of safety.
Tia,
Don
Old 09-23-2011, 05:10 AM   #5

I just weighed in under 26k with all of my worldly possessions stuffed into my TH and towed it to my new home with a 3/4 ton Dodge and it towed better than expected.

Only 60# over on the drive axle and it was surprisingly under the GVW of the trailer. I could have stuffed in another 3k and been fine on axle weight, but I don't think the clutch would have been happy with the extra load on it.