Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

How hard to add rear beds

We are currently looking at a 2006 raptor 3712 but it does not have the drop down beds in the garage area... is this something that could be added easily or would we be better figuring out a different solution to have a bed back there? Our son is 3 so don't really want him in the upper bunk yet. Just curious as to y'alls thoughts on something like that
Thanks

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 12:39 AM   #2

Do you have any rails or wall mounts back there now?
Old 09-26-2020, 11:25 PM   #3

No there are no rails or bed mounts in the garage now. Thinking of going to a RV junkyard in Phoenix to look at Jackknife couches

Old 09-26-2020, 11:46 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
How do you plan to use the garage space? Are you going to haul toys? Will it be a full time bed room?

If space isn't an issue, I'd be tempted to get a "standard" toddler bed and set it up in the garage. If you're going to use the space for other purposes, you could build or have built a drop down bunk. For that matter, you could just put a toddler mattress on the floor and stow it out of the way when not in use. If they're outgrowing the toddler mattress, you could do the same with a twin mattress.

Amazon also has a selection of inflatable travel beds, but I always find inflatables to be a nuisance.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
How do you plan to use the garage space? Are you going to haul toys? Will it be a full time bed room?

If space isn't an issue, I'd be tempted to get a "standard" toddler bed and set it up in the garage. If you're going to use the space for other purposes, you could build or have built a drop down bunk. For that matter, you could just put a toddler mattress on the floor and stow it out of the way when not in use. If they're outgrowing the toddler mattress, you could do the same with a twin mattress.

Amazon also has a selection of inflatable travel beds, but I always find inflatables to be a nuisance.

We plan on using it to transport our Kawasaki Teryx 4 side by side, and eventually plan on him using the upper bunk in the main living room area. I was just wondering for future occasional use, friends, family etc. I don't know how hard it is to find a "stud" in a trailer, thats not something I have had to do before

Old 09-27-2020, 12:26 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
If it were me, I would shy away from adding things that hang on the walls. For me, finding the studs would be easier than placing trust in them without knowing they were built to support the stress being placed on them. If they were installed when the RV was built, you'd hope they were engineered to support the weight. Adding them later I wouldn't assume any "stud" in an RV wall is engineered to hold more than the siding already hanging from it.

A sofa with a pull out couch is a good option, but only if you have enough free space for it. "Camping" cots with a mattress on top might be a good compromise. They come in twin and queen sizes, but you still have to find space to store the folded cot and mattress when not in use. Not sure how comfortable it would be, but you might use one of these with a thin mattress, or foam mattress topper that could be rolled up when not in use.

The inflatable mattresses with built in inflatable platform would probably be OK for occasional use, but for me would be a real nuisance even setting up once each trip.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:35 AM   #7

We have ordered and plan on using a folding toddler cot for the next(first) trip, I was just thinking that maybe a fold up couch out of a wrecked toy hauler that didn't have a garage might be a good solution. There is a pull out bed in the living room couch, as well as being able to fold the table down, just trying to figure a way to give him his own space so that we don't necessarily have to go to bed when he does.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #8

i have added the happijac systems before. it's not particularly hard to d0. you will want full length rails for sure. you will find a main stud/header at the top of the wall to anchor into. you will need to find the wall studs to anchor the rails into running down the wall. if they offered the happijac system in the model then the walls are the same. now......plan on spending

$2500 plus to buy the rails and bed frame new. if you want the model with the couches attached then prob double that. finding set in a salvage yard would be the best way but still going to cost some $$. since your only hauling a teryx ( narrower track width) then the cheapest and easy solution is jack knife sofa beds on each side. the ones in the eclipse brands attitude, iconic etc are the more comfortable ones i have ever sat on!! or you can buy them from this company... https://blazinbelltech.com/collectio...t-sofa-sleeper they offer a wall mount system with there's that will catch the studs. i have used there dinette system in a trailer and really liked it. has held up great since 2007. sold the trailer to a buddy and he stores it at my place. https://happijac.com/bed-lifts.html i have ordered direct from happijac before. i don't have an acct either so i'm sure they'll sell to you as well. https://rvsurplusparts.net/happijac-electric-bed-lift/
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #9

Another option is a rollover bed. Mounts to the wall and flips up when not in use. Doubles as an extra couch. My KZ came with one on each side. they also sell wall mount bracket that spans the wall studs.
https://www.recpro.com/recpro-80-rv-...legs-in-cloth/
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear