Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #1

Well...we had our true maiden voyage this weekend, and while we were hooking up this morning, the gearmotor just absolutely gave up the ghost- horrible smell, fear of fire, WAY too hot to touch, etc. I've been looking through my manuals and the fuse box and just can't seem to find any fuse to this circuit- anyone out there know where the fuse might be and/or had this problem?

You should have seen the group taking turns at the hand crank deal....thanks to all of those helped, otherwise (as FatDog said) he wudda've had to perform CPR on a whole bunch of us!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #2

Well...we had our true maiden voyage this weekend, and while we were hooking up this morning, the gearmotor just absolutely gave up the ghost- horrible smell, fear of fire, WAY too hot to touch, etc. I've been looking through my manuals and the fuse box and just can't seem to find any fuse to this circuit- anyone out there know where the fuse might be and/or had this problem?

You should have seen the group taking turns at the hand crank deal....thanks to all of those helped, otherwise (as FatDog said) he wudda've had to perform CPR on a whole bunch of us!!

Sean
Old 07-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Oh man Sean I hope there was no damage. You would have thought it would be fused.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:15 PM   #4

Yeah,

I was standing by to give first aid to the masses.

Sean, when are you taking in the WW?

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:33 PM   #5

I think I need a chiropractor instead
Seriously though, this is a major bummer and I am sure it was no picnic when you got the rig home and had to do the reverse (minus the ever helpful he-men of course)....
I know you'll make em pay Sean...

\Bob (backslash.. Sean backslash)

06 WW LE3305
TH_NOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #6

Clark:

Thank God we had a paramedic there!!! Thanks for that!!

And 'Slash Bob'...I was going to just leave it hooked up to the TV and take it down to WW tomorrow, but I don't want it sitting in their lot for a few weeks before they can get to it, so I'll call up tomorrow morning, get a date, and take it in. But fortunately, at home, we only had to go up about 3 inches, which made it bearable (I still sweat like a stuck pig...it was 98 degrees still at 7:30pm!). Hey...thanks for your help...GREATLY appriecated!

\Sean
Old 07-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #7

You know Guys:

I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but with all the WW's there, I shudda tried to see what the resistance was on your landing gear using the hand crank...I wonder if there's a difference? I would think WW would use all the same stuff, ey? \Bob and Mikey...since you were part of the 'labor crew', can you try your units and see if they're just as hard?

\Sean
Old 07-17-2005, 07:52 PM   #8

Shucks, I missed the fun. I bet it was a riot watching that evolution. Glad you all made it home safe and sound. I had a blast. Thank you all.

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #9

Will do.. It'll be next week before I can as my unit is in Perris..
Also, just thought I would share that if humping your landing gear wasn't enough.. When we headed out we met a stranded vehicle blocking the road (you probably saw them in that little turn out before you hit 38..) Well.. They most likely had a blown tranny or something to that effect as there was lots of fluid on the ground and the poor guy put it in drive and it went nowhere.. So... Me and Edgar with a little help from the driver humped that thing up the hill to its final resting place.. just so's you all could sail on out of camp (no thanks neccessary)... Talk about huffinf and puffin! Anyway, that camp is hexed or something!
\Bob

06 WW LE3305
TH_NOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #10

\Bob:

Was that the guy sitting on the rock next to the Lobo/Oso sign? I saw some type of (white?) car off the road, but though he was one of those tree-huggers just up there to get some fresh air....good job!...now I REALLY know you're the kinda guy I wanna camp/'dump a tranny' next to! Just like 'ol Griz...Ford tranny help to the rescue!!

Obviously, you got your breath back! Glad meetin' ya and Linda and all the kids...you call me anytime, OK?! (Check your PM).

Sean
Old 07-18-2005, 02:13 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but with all the WW's there, I shudda tried to see what the resistance was on your landing gear using the hand crank...I wonder if there's a difference? I would think WW would use all the same stuff, ey? \Bob and Mikey...since you were part of the 'labor crew', can you try your units and see if they're just as hard? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\Guys:
I'm wondering if that SLC felt a little harder to hand crank because we were doing it on Sunday morning after a long weekend of ..... ehhhhh ... "hiking and exercising" and we were just plumb tuckered out???
I'll hand crank mine to see if its hard to crank and report back
\FatDog
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guys:
I'm wondering if that SLC felt a little harder to hand crank because we were doing it on Sunday morning after a long weekend of ..... ehhhhh ... "hiking and exercising" and we were just plumb tuckered out??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I know just what you mean about all that. Since I'm right handed my right arm is pretty sore the next day after all that exercising, sometimes I gotta switch off!

Sorry to hear about your motor there Sean, probably one of those "infantile" failures, We hope. My landing gear is pretty noisy but so far so good.

A thought Sean, since WW has made these trailers so much heavier you might want to check the capacity of your gear. Maybe they've overloaded it.

I thought you'all had gotten together before now. Guess thats what I get for thinking. Sounds like a good time was had by all, even with all the excitement.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:19 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maaannnn having to crank a big trailer LG by hand is not fun. Been there and done that. The worst one was when the gear broke on one side and the only way to get it off the truck was to use a hydraulic jack to lift one side and crank the other. My wife sure got tired of cranking....not...she watched while I cranked.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #14

Sean,

What are you in such a hurry to leave for any way, aren't you retired? Just stay up there another couple days.
My last trailer had the gear wired directly into to one battery and the fuse for the rest of and rig (40 amp) was in-line with the other battery. So when you blew the fuse on the trailer, you could still get the landing gear down/up. I guess they maybe didn't take into consideration your little problem.
Now if I remember correctly, your nose was kneeling in the dirt real deep, so you had a long way to go before you could hitch. I dont know if that had anything to do with your motor burning up. I could just see the warning lable now. "WARNING, ALTHOUGHT YOU MAY BE TEMPTED TO USE YOUR LANDING GEAR TO UNHOOK FROM YOU TRUCK, WE SYRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST IT. FAILURE TO COMPLY MAY RESULT IN IN FIRE OR DEATH." Then you could have a little warning guy picture standing next to a 5th wheel running around on fire.
BTW, I pick up my trailer tomorrow night, 5pm.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote