Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #1

I am building mine.

I full time RV and travel working as a Registered Nurse. I spend the winters so far in South Florida and the summers in the midwest. Have been dreaming of a new home for a while and am getting close to making a deal with Space Craft Manufacturing in Concordia, MO. for a custom built unit. I currently have a 2007 Weekend Warrior that is 45' and has a 12 foot garage. Will be going with a 42' and 15' 6" garage on a semi chassis. I pull with a 2001 Volvo that has a 14 foot vam box mounted. Am hoping be able to shrink the box on the truck and put only the motorcycle up there. Preciously I had hauled a Mini Cooper and currently have an Isuzu VehiCross. Loading and unloading in the truck takes a loading dock currently and while I could go for ramps I'd rather have the car where if I had to unload it, I could without unhooking the truck. The Motorcycle is ok but not always the best choice for transportation if something is broke. There is a discussion on the HDT side here and more on the Escapees forum. I welcome any and all comments, suggestion, critiques and stories.

Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

Have you considered a lift-gate for loading/unloading the Mini? I haven't done this, but it seems like it might be doable. You might also talk with some tow-truck guys who deal with loading and unloading cars all the time.
They have some pretty good ideas.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Congrats. Custom Space Craft is on my 'dream' list.

Are you planning on doing their stacker rear garage?
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #4

I was told at Space Craft the lift gate they use for the race car haulers is only $60,000 dollars. Not sure how to convince myself that I need something like that. Have the invoice for what I have planned and a floor plan. Just need to determine a few other things before going ahead with the build. I don't have the Mini any longer. I have a 1999 Isuzu VehiCross. More multi purpose than the Mini.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Rod
Old 09-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #5

For those who don't look at the HDT forum

The frame rolled out of the frame shop this week and over to the main building. Have an apparent spy on site who is sending me some photos. (Thanks Bruce) Tanks are being put in and the side walls are being prepped for the lamination process. I will be there in about two weeks and will be able to post some photos then.

Rod
Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #6

New Photo link for build photos.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...CKnBzZm1rdbtKg

Comments welcome.

Rod