Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2007, 03:11 AM   #1

I have been thinking about getting an inverter for some time now and due to a generator problem that I may not be able to get fixed before my hunting trip this coming weekend, I was wondering what wattage of inverter I would need to run a 17 LCD TV w/Sat receiver and/or my coffee pot. The need for the TV/Sat. is so I can watch the Mavs game Fri. night.
Due to the way/place I will use it, I don't want to hardwire it into the FS wiring system. I will be using it outside mostly and it would also be nice to carry it to my hunting lease on those trips where I don't haul the TH. I would like to use it in the bed of the truck from time-to-time when working around the ranch for power tools.

So any recommendations on wattage/MFG.
Does some MFG make a good one with gator clips to attach directly to my batteries?

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2007, 03:11 AM   #2

I have been thinking about getting an inverter for some time now and due to a generator problem that I may not be able to get fixed before my hunting trip this coming weekend, I was wondering what wattage of inverter I would need to run a 17 LCD TV w/Sat receiver and/or my coffee pot. The need for the TV/Sat. is so I can watch the Mavs game Fri. night.
Due to the way/place I will use it, I don't want to hardwire it into the FS wiring system. I will be using it outside mostly and it would also be nice to carry it to my hunting lease on those trips where I don't haul the TH. I would like to use it in the bed of the truck from time-to-time when working around the ranch for power tools.

So any recommendations on wattage/MFG.
Does some MFG make a good one with gator clips to attach directly to my batteries?

TB

WW FS2300
Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #3

TB,

I wouldn't go less than a 1500 watt inverter.....

Here is a great deal for a very dependable unit: Click here

They also supply the #4 cables you'll need from the battery. You will not be able to use gator clips with this one...

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 AM   #4

Thanks, that is the wattage I was thinking about and the price looks good from what I have seen in a couple of stores here. I won't have time to order it and get it before this weekends trip but I came up with a solution Monday evening. I have a Coleman Powermate 1000 protable gen and I set up all the sat. epuipment outside the TH cranked up the little gen and it worked great. The Coleman will only run about 2 1/2 hr. on a tank full so I will fill it up again during halftime of the Mavs game.
Looking forward to this first trip of the year in the TH. Just my luck the Onan takes a dump a week before my trip. I ran it for about a 1/2 hr. three weeks ago without a problem. Also the weather people are predicting rain for most of the weekend which dosen't go real good with turkey hunting.
As the saying goes..."if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".

TB

WW FS2300
Old 04-08-2007, 04:59 AM   #5

I have a Xantrex 1200 watt running a 17" LCD and a satalite reciever. That is more than enough. If you look at your TV's plug, it is only using something like 14 volts. LCD's use very little power in comparison. My parents use a 600 watt and run a 15" traditional TV, reciever, DVD player, and another small TV for grandkids with VCR. And it does the job well.

Also, it doesn't hurt much to get a big inverter. They only pull the amount of power that is needed. The only thing that I can say is DO NOT plug any type of charging unit into the inverter unless you have a Modified sine wave inverter. They are at least 3x's the cost.

sjseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #6

Try looking on the back of the TV. There should be something that tells the wattage used. It may be on the plug also. I have a 20" TV that uses 75 watts in my WW.

www.donrowe.com has good prices. i just intalled a Xantrex 1200+ I purchased from them.

Steve
Trvlngnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #7

Also remember its not the runnig but the start up with a TV that kills the inverter. You have to check the peak power as well.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote