Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Wow! 5 pages of inverter talk. Gotta report that our worked fine on the trip to Brookings. You guys have come up with some fancy wiring and switching.Think I'll stick with the info given me by the Aims Inverter folks. Upplug the CONverter, then turn on the INverter. Used it to power the fridge on the 5 hour drive and on arrival the fridge was 38deg with no noticable battery drain. Just to see,I ran the telly on the inverter for a few hours and boiled some water in the micro with only a slight drain. So I guess it's working ok.
Anyone thinking of a trip to the Oregon coast should try Harris Beach State Parh just north of Brookings. It's on a bluff above the coast wit only a short walk to the beach. The campsite are good size with shrubery separating sites. Here are some pics:

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #44

Dave! you're back!! Glad you had a great trip...pics are great. Kinda looks like the Pacific Coast!

Yeah...we obviously had some time (and libations I might add) to kill on our hands, so we chose the inverter topic to banter back and forth...I think we all learned a whole bunch about it (but probably can't remember a darn thing we said without going back and re-reading!). I guess the bottom line was that it'd been a while since all of us had a few hours to ourselves without something to do, so we solved this world's problem.

So what's next guys?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #45

Dave, glad you had a sucsessfull voyage Welcome home! Nice shots of the Oregon Coast. Where are the ones of you and the better half next to coach on the scenic penninsula.

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:22 PM   #46

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
I did 56's inverter mod last weekend. I don't understand what everybody is saying about the inverter and converter being on the same cicuit. That is what the DPDT center off switch is for, to either switch the T.V. power outlets to be fead by the inverter or the shorepower/generateror but never both which is the reason for the center off..ie a seperation of all contacts in the switch for that monentary dead circuit untill you switch to what source you want power from..ie inverter or shore/gen. Mine works great and I can bounce to either inverter or shore/Gen with both on or runing with no harm...because their are seperated by the switch!

Griz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Basically, (anybody correct me if I am wrong) when you switch the DPDT switch to ˜inverter' you are, in essence, powering the converter to charge the battery....using the battery power (via the inverter) to charge the battery is like a dog chasing his own tail .

EDIT: don't forget, the converter outlet is on the same circuit as the TV outlets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi guys...

Wow, you've all been busy. I did goof up
and Aaron is correct.

I'll now need to put a separate circuit breaker in
for the TV.

Thanks for the heads up......

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #47

heY mIKEY...IF IT'S ok WITH dONNO, CAN YOU MOVE THIS TO THE mON nITE cHAT...OPPS....(and I'm not going to re-type that)...thread? It doesn't even smell like an inverter, but it does reek of a chat item!!
Old 09-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #48

56, boy we have made many discoveries in your absence. How was Pismo? Hope know one was caught off guard with the big surf!

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 09-19-2005, 05:45 PM   #49

OK Griz...seems like Mikey's asleep at the wheel, so he can move this post also! Wow...you've got some major surgery going on there buddy! Hate to see what Jen does if you haven't got that done by the time you have to leave to come party with us- yikes!
Old 09-19-2005, 05:48 PM   #50

I'll move than

"Correction" I meant to say I will move my Kitchen remodel to the Monday nite chat.

06 LE 3505
Old 09-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #51

With, or without the LE?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:08 PM   #52

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
56, boy we have made many discoveries in your absence. How was Pismo? Hope know one was caught off guard with the big surf!

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don,

Pismo was wonderful but a bit windy, but that
made the dunes perfect.

I havn't even started to unpack, and I had to
rip open my breaker box.

The outer panel is labeled incorrectly. My TV
circuit is on a separate 20 amp circuit breaker.

There is a 15 amp circuit breaker which is for
the converter, GFI, Galley, Refrigerator, Lavy and Exterior.

I didn't goof up after all. My inverter is wired
correctly and switching it on, does not power
my converter.... only the 20 amp TV circuit.

I think that is what you've done too.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #53

WW must of changed midstream and forgot to issue the new labels to the label guy. Mine works great and it was easy following your example. I guess some of the other guys don't have it as easy but hey it's only wires. They can move the converter to a different breaker easy enough. Glad you enjoyed Pismo. I'm headed to bed I'm sure you have some more real world mods from your trip for us. I'll be looking for them soon!

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 02-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #54

I have a 5th wheel that didn't come with or wasn't even prepared for an Inverter. So I added two more batteries to the original one. I bought, from Don Rowe, a Vector 1200 watt inverter with a remote on/off switch. The trailer came with a Atwood 45 amp Converter. I will draw a schematic that I have figured out and how I added the inverter the the system. I am new to this thread and don't know how to attach a document, the schematic.
The inverter runs the TV DVD system and all the non GFCI plugs. All the major appliances (ie. refrigerator, Microwave, Air Conditioning, Water Heater) are only powered by the generator or shore power.
We have for our generator two Honda EU2000i inverter generators, since there was no dedicated spot for a generator on our 5th wheel. These are so quiet and light and gas frugal, they are great (just expensive). We usally only run one unless we want the AC on, then they hook up in Parallel. A normal run of about 8-10 hours with just battery charging and a little blender action (maybe a lot), maybe some micro waving, uses maybe one tank full of gas, (1.1 gal)
KTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #55

KTM1- welcome to iRV2! Wow...you dug up an oldie but goodie!

This Link to 56Nomad's Inverter Install is the prize of the century...I think some have tried to perfect it, but weren't successful. I really don't know anyone who HASN'T used it for their install.

You may also want to look through the sticky thread at the top of the Forum for some other great mods that everyone's contributed to...I think this list is one of the best available on the WWW!

Thanks!