Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Howie:

I just got mine today, hooked it up, and got 18 blinks...one for each cell. And by Gawd...good thing I decided to check the water level in the batts, because they were bone-dry, and it took almost 2 gallons of distilled water (don't use anything but!!!) to get 'em back to the top. I did notice that the jumper that was taped to the unit when I got it was plugged into it after the trip to WW...those Bastuurds plugged it in and darn-near fried my batteries (plugging it in gives it the signal to charge the cr@p outta the cells...that was my clue I needed to check the 6v batts).

My guess is you maybe interrupted the hookup...if it's a steady green, you should be all set...

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,

King Salami has the same set up as you have with
(4) 6V batteries.

The Trojan dealer told Nick to make sure he
checks and tops off his water lever every 3
months.

This simple maintainence should keep those 6V's
going 7 or more years according to the dealer.

I'm just waiting for my 12V'ers to go bad, so I
can do the 6V thing.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #30

Howie!

I was amazed at how much those 6v's use...but then again, some idiot at WW decided to plug in the jumper, which I believe made some difference.

Hey...I ordered my Xantrex 3000 Plus today from Don Rowe...$349.00...should get it by Thursday...got your blueprint close at hand!!!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:33 AM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 56Nomad:
the LED suddenly started to blink continuously after I
disconnected the 110 power cord??

Any thoughts.......?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine does the same thing, Never gave it much thought?

SAS!

2004.5 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 QC CTD 600
SAS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #32

Hey Guys:

Straight from the webpage...

LED Indicator
The LED Indicator on the IQ4 informs the user as to the status of the battery and the charging stage. When first activated, the IQ4 will read the number of cells in the battery and indicate the voltage of the battery through a number of flashes.

6 flashes = 12 volt battery
12 flashes = 24 volt battery
18 flashes = 36 volt battery
24 flashes = 48 volt battery

After reading the battery, the IQ4 will initiate either a Bulk Charge phase or Float Charge phase depending on the battery's charge status. When the IQ4 is in the Bulk Charge mode, the green LED indicator will flash rapidly. When the Bulk Charge is complete, the IQ4 begins the Absorption Charge and the LED indicator will flash at a slower rate. When the battery charging is complete and the IQ4 begins the Float Charge, the LED will remain lit and no longer flash. If, when first activated, the battery is not in need of charging, the IQ4 will immediately begin the Float charge phase and the LED will be remain lit after it has counted the battery cells.

I think you're OK....

Sean
Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #33

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Hey Guys:

Straight from the webpage...

LED Indicator
The LED Indicator on the IQ4 informs the user as to the status of the battery and the charging stage. When first activated, the IQ4 will read the number of cells in the battery and indicate the voltage of the battery through a number of flashes.

6 flashes = 12 volt battery
12 flashes = 24 volt battery
18 flashes = 36 volt battery
24 flashes = 48 volt battery

After reading the battery, the IQ4 will initiate either a Bulk Charge phase or Float Charge phase depending on the battery's charge status. When the IQ4 is in the Bulk Charge mode, the green LED indicator will flash rapidly. When the Bulk Charge is complete, the IQ4 begins the Absorption Charge and the LED indicator will flash at a slower rate. When the battery charging is complete and the IQ4 begins the Float Charge, the LED will remain lit and no longer flash. If, when first activated, the battery is not in need of charging, the IQ4 will immediately begin the Float charge phase and the LED will be remain lit after it has counted the battery cells.

I think you're OK....

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What we are seeing is the light continuing to blink after 110V AC power is removed as if it were still charging? It cannot be charging if there is no 110V AC from shore or Gen.

SAS!

Old 09-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #34

Ahhhhh....NOW I get it!! How long does it flash after you disconnect? I'll try mine when I get home and see what it does.

Sean
Old 09-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #35

Ahhhhh....NOW I get it!! How long does it flash after you disconnect? I'll try mine when I get home and see what it does.

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure how long? I know I've seen it still flashing hours later. I think it continues to monitor the battery voltage level? If I remember right, when I unplugged the cord with the Jack while disconected then plug it back in the LED flashes the cell count and shuts off?

SAS!

Old 09-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Got it ... Use black tape ... cover the light ... if it still blinks ... use another piece over the last one but put in on so that it makes a cross X over the light ... if that doesn't make it quit flashing ... pull off the tape ... get thicker tape and start over!!!

I don't have a light! ... or a clue! but if you store it without AC ... might want to pull the plug?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #37

Nawww...I just unplugged my TH, and it was a solid light...I think the IQ4 is telling you the battery status- even when it's not got any 120v...

And yes SAS!...anytime you unplug it from the unit, it will tell you first the number of cells then the voltage. If you're good a counting fast blinking lights, then we'll hire you as an intrepeter to give us the scoop on our batts!

I was just flabbergasted at how much water my batts took only after less than 4 months...you may want to check those like Howie said King does- every 3 months (or even sooner). Even better, and I wish I knew what they were called, but there are caps that you can put on your batts that will recycle the water loss and keep the water level more stable...need to find out whewre I saw those.

Sean
Old 09-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #38

I just perused the (4) pages and couldn't find an answer to my inquiring mind
about the IOTA Smart Controller.

I've had it installed for several days now, and my monitor string of lights
on the stove vent continuously is showing the "green" charging light.

For you guys who have installed it...... is that what is normal. I'd figger
that if the batteries are fully charged, that monitor light should stop
showing that it is charging

Old 09-29-2005, 07:50 PM   #39

Howie:

The monitor light will always show 'charging' if you're plugged in...you'll always get a green light. Now...did your IQ4 LED finally go solid?
Old 09-29-2005, 08:25 PM   #40

Now...did your IQ4 LED finally go solid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup....... thanks Sean.

So with this high tech little box, you think we'll
get our batteries to last longer if we're
plugged into 110V full time?

Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Batteries last longer because of IQ4? No, but maybe...

Yes if it saves forgetting to remove that loopback switch (preventing overcharge).
Yes if batteries would sit for long periods at less than a full charge and now they will be plugged in.
No for just about all else!
The primary benefit of this gadget is saving us from ourselves when we use the loopback switch as it automates the plug in/out process.
Longest battery life would be from not going below say 50% discharge (20% kills'em) and keeping them charged without overcharging! Of course maintaining optimal electrolyte levels too!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #42

Well...

I bought one of these IQ4 controller du-hickeys. Then when I went to install it I noticed that my unit says "DLS-55/IQ4" on it. So i'm guessing that means it already has the little bugger built in? It still has a phone-jack style port on it though.

So...anybody need one/want to buy mine?

05 NEXT LEVEL 38CKS https://bestsmileys.com/happy/3.gif
PhatFireMan is offline   Reply With Quote