Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #1

It's called a hybrid.

Hey y'all.new to this lifestyle. Recently had a trailer made for you hauling. The company calls it a hybrid but I have to explain it as a half and half. Trying to decide which is easy for power. 110 or 12v with an aux battery. Really the only things I plan on running 110v are A/c, mini fridge,and a small microwave. Lighting, stereo, and everything else will be 12v. Any input is good advice. 20x7 trailer with a 12ft porch and 8ft enclosed plus 2ft v nose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551392131358.jpg_1551392134344.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	584.2 KB
ID:	238793   Click image for larger version

Name:	USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551392110137.jpg_1551392116705.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	238794  

Sparky525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Since you will be using both ac and dc power, I suggest you set up your trailer electrical system the same as other RVs. Here's how it works, when connected to external ac current, the power ac goes to power the ac, microwave, and refrigerator. It also goes to a converter/charger which converts the ac to dc to operate the dc appliances (lights) and charge the batteries.

You'll probably want to also run the refrigerator on battery power when not connected to ac. This is done with a device called an inverter which converts the battery dc to ac. You'll need a 1,000 watt or greater inverter. I suggest you get an inverter with an automatic transfer switch which stops (switches) converting the battery dc to ac when your trailer is plugged into external ac which becomes the source of ac to power the fridge.

A decent converter/charger is about $200 and about the same amount for a good quality 1200 watt inverter.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTripping View Post
Welcome to the forum. Since you will be using both ac and dc power, I suggest you set up your trailer electrical system the same as other RVs. Here's how it works, when connected to external ac current, the power ac goes to power the ac, microwave, and refrigerator. It also goes to a converter/charger which converts the ac to dc to operate the dc appliances (lights) and charge the batteries.

You'll probably want to also run the refrigerator on battery power when not connected to ac. This is done with a device called an inverter which converts the battery dc to ac. You'll need a 1,000 watt or greater inverter. I suggest you get an inverter with an automatic transfer switch which stops (switches) converting the battery dc to ac when your trailer is plugged into external ac which becomes the source of ac to power the fridge.

A decent converter/charger is about $200 and about the same amount for a good quality 1200 watt inverter.
So I probably should've started with what I already have planned as far as the DC system goes. I've picked out the CTEK D250s which is a charging switch that when poweris killed to my truck the aux battery will not draw power from my truck but while running will allow my truck to charge the battery. A 1500W inverter with 3 plugs will be ran off the aux battery. I chose a 3 plug because my intentions was to have a mini fridge, microwave, and wire a plug to my AC unit since it will be 110v. Everything else with have a separate circuit running from a DC fuse box and battery. Also the CTEK box also allows for Solar panels to be added and I planned on having external battery posts to run a generator in case there isn't enough sunlight or I use to much power at night. The main reason I am leaning towards DC is because I'm a DC nut. I find DC to be very easy and can't seem to wrap my head around AC for the life of me. Ironically this is coming from an electrician on airplanes which has quite abit of AC circuits. lol Also thanks for the input. I'll do some more research as I'm still open to AC but man I really hate it.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:27 AM   #4

You will struggle to run anything but a small microwave on a 1500 watt inverter and almost any air conditioner will shut it down due to overload.

1500 watts is about 12 amps @120 volts. That equates to 120 amps @12 volts.

If your aux battery is 100 AH, a pretty large, deep cycle battery, it will run out of power in less then 45 minutes.

To run air conditioning for any length of time your going to need a huge battery bank, with more solar then will fit on that trailer roof OR a generator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You will struggle to run anything but a small microwave on a 1500 watt inverter and almost any air conditioner will shut it down due to overload.

1500 watts is about 12 amps @120 volts. That equates to 120 amps @12 volts.

If your aux battery is 100 AH, a pretty large, deep cycle battery, it will run out of power in less then 45 minutes.

To run air conditioning for any length of time your going to need a huge battery bank, with more solar then will fit on that trailer roof OR a generator.
I've been doing alot of research in what little spare time i had today and found a website call paralax power that seems to have everything I need to run both AC and DC. I've finally made up my mind and will by running an AC system in the trailer. MY question now is how many breakers should I use and what size? I will have a small microwave, a mini fridge, the AC unit, and I also forgot and TV and a PS4. Again AC is not my forte and I was thinking 3 breakers. 1 20A for the AC, 1 15A for the firdge and the microwave, and 1 15A for the other 110 plug or 2 still undecided. Does this sound feasible cause this is really a shot in the dark at what I may need?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

Hire an electrician.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led