Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Jayco or Grand Design

We are looking at a toy hauler. The two that looks the best for us is either Jayco 3815 or the Grand design 381M

Any input on these units will be greatly appreciated.
djm619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #2

I have never had a Jayco but we currently have a Grand Design Imagine and love it. Of the trailers we have owned it is by far our favorite.

Personally I think the quality is somewhat better than most but as with all RVs there will be issues. From what I have heard it's in customer support that Grand Design shines. I have had limited interaction but when I did have questions I got quick responses.

You will get all sorts of opinions on specific brands so just remember all have there pros and cons.
Dnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #3

3 years ago, I would of said GD hands down. However their build quality has fallen like every other RV manufacturer as they pump the RVís out the back door as fast as they can. Customer service, which was held in high regard is also strained now with the thousands of new rigs sold. I read every day of an owner complaining about calls or emails for help being ignored. Iím not saying Jayco would be any better especially after the Thor sellout. So I guess for me the choice between the two would come down to which floorplan works better and which out the door price was lowest.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #4

Happy owner of 2016 Grand Design Momentum 350M. Purchased new in spring 2016 and no regrets. Not sure if 2020 quality has gone down due to the pressure/demand on the industry, but our unit is a solid unit. Besides the overall quality, I have found many design elements that are just above the typical and thoughtfully done (ie. heat registers in the wall/baseboard and not in the floor and a pocket door on the restroom to name just two).

We enjoyed Jayco units previously and had no complaints. You probably can't go wrong either way as the Seismics we looked at when comparing were nice too.

I will say I had a battery question this past spring in the midst of COVID shut downs and GD got back with me in less that 24 hours. Their customer service has been top notch for us.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #5

I was considering either the GD Momentum 351 or the Keystone Raptor 356. I went with the Raptor after careful evaluation of them both. The Raptor had standard things that were optional on the GD. 3 A/C, 3 TVs. The floor plan was similar and build similar also. Raptor came with the Sailun LRG tires and the Momentum with Westlakes as I recall. I ordered the Raptor and got the dual pane windows, full body paint, queen bed, and a couple other specifics. For the record I have had RVs from both manufacturers. 2011 Raptor and a GD Solitude 320X.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:10 AM   #6

Have a 381M and have loved it. We also looked at Jayco, and I thought the materials, fit and finish inside were similar. Ended up going with ours due to much lower pin weight and found a deal on a used one less than 8 months old that saved us tons of cash.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:32 PM   #7

We just ordered a 2021 Jayco Seismic 4212 with all options including full body paint. Looking at a mid May delivery. I went with Jayco because before I got into the diesel class A world, they were all I ever owned.
loydt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design, jayco