Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
I have the 2018 Raptor 355 it has the 11' garage. The only way to get something 40' or under to haul anything good is to upgrade the axles yourself. I looked at the Grand design and Raptor models and they both had the same axles. I'm happy with mine after the upgrade however you better add about $4,000.00 to your budget and that's if you do the work yourself. Because of the remote places we camp I'm glad I didn't go to 44' just to get the triple axles.
i used to believe with campers it was as simple to just swap out the axles for better ones like you can do on car trailers or enclosed trailers. unfortunatly campers are not built anywhere as strong as car trailers or enclosed. you can swap axles but the frame may not support the extra weight. now there are 3 camper manufacturers on the west coast that build there own frames and are built strong enough to upgrade axle like car trailers. not lippert frames lol
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #16

That may be true however the sticker in the garage says the maximum garage weight is 3,000#even thou ccc was never 3,000 for the entire trailer. this leads me to believe there is room for improvement. Also the trailer rides a lot smoother with no noticeable rocking and breaking improved 100% with the disc brakes.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #17

Quote:
That may be true however the sticker in the garage says the maximum garage weight is 3,000#even thou ccc was never 3,000 for the entire trailer. this leads me to believe there is room for improvement. Also the trailer rides a lot smoother with no noticeable rocking and breaking improved 100% with the disc brakes.

i have no doubts that it does say that weight and that ccc was less that 3k. i bet the trailer rides better too which made it worth it!!. i also find it interesting that a few triple axle models of grand design's have 7k axle and only a gvwr of 20k. they are one of the manufacturers that told me it comes down to what the frame is spec'd too. i called to ask why a triple 7k th'er only had a gvwr of 20k. i asked because 21k would've put me at the 4k ccc i was looking for.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:06 PM   #18

The Momentums are rated at 20k due to the drop Z frame. Lippert jumps the price up dramatically to build a 21k frame in a drop Z according to sources I have heard from. Most all the 21k GVWR haulers have a straight 12” frame like ours-the drawback of course is lost basement space.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #19

[QUOTE=Rubirose;5017612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyMike View Post

Thanks for that, we might go look at the 320G on Saturday and I'll ask to see paperwork. Hubby now thinking of just going with two quads instead of sxs, he's not keen on pulling a triple axle because of length.
What kind of quads is he looking at? We looked at going with two quads but did not find any we liked that would get through the door and then fit next to each other in the garage. We looked at the smaller Honda 420 Ranchers and Polaris 450/570 series and they were all 48" wide and 600+ lbs each. This put us back to where we couldn't manage the size and load. We might have been able to put them in the garage crossways, but I am no longer capable of lifting either end of those beasts and turning them sideways. The only ones we found near us that would fit were two Honda 230cc FourTrax Recons at about 42" wide and 440 lbs each. Unfortunately, they were smaller than what we wanted to ride.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #20

[QUOTE=mb36912;5028418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirose View Post

What kind of quads is he looking at? We looked at going with two quads but did not find any we liked that would get through the door and then fit next to each other in the garage. We looked at the smaller Honda 420 Ranchers and Polaris 450/570 series and they were all 48" wide and 600+ lbs each. This put us back to where we couldn't manage the size and load. We might have been able to put them in the garage crossways, but I am no longer capable of lifting either end of those beasts and turning them sideways. The only ones we found near us that would fit were two Honda 230cc FourTrax Recons at about 42" wide and 440 lbs each. Unfortunately, they were smaller than what we wanted to ride.
Our 2007 Raptor carried 2 Yamaha grizzlies without the fender flares. Plastic did rub. Then we bought two can-ams. One was the 1000 max and the other an 850 single. Inside of garage must be 96 inches and at least 10 ft long. The weight for two quads was never an issue. But I'm honestly disappointed in the overall CCC that the shorter toyhauler can carry, newer ones anyway. Our search continues, but we have at least another year before we have to really decide our way to go. Right now we both really like the 371 Fusion, but the CCC is a bit low. We have discussed removing both beds from the garage as it is only the two of us, this will increase our CCC.
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #21

Quote:
I have the 2018 Raptor 355 it has the 11' garage. The only way to get something 40' or under to haul anything good is to upgrade the axles yourself. I looked at the Grand design and Raptor models and they both had the same axles. I'm happy with mine after the upgrade however you better add about $4,000.00 to your budget and that's if you do the work yourself. Because of the remote places we camp I'm glad I didn't go to 44' just to get the triple axles.
So how did you upgrade your axles? Hubby is a mechanic, is it something he could do?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #22

[QUOTE=Rubirose;5029484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb36912 View Post

Our 2007 Raptor carried 2 Yamaha grizzlies without the fender flares. Plastic did rub. Then we bought two can-ams. One was the 1000 max and the other an 850 single. Inside of garage must be 96 inches and at least 10 ft long. The weight for two quads was never an issue. But I'm honestly disappointed in the overall CCC that the shorter toyhauler can carry, newer ones anyway. Our search continues, but we have at least another year before we have to really decide our way to go. Right now we both really like the 371 Fusion, but the CCC is a bit low. We have discussed removing both beds from the garage as it is only the two of us, this will increase our CCC.
Wow!! Our Escalade garage is 97"w x 118"lg and it would barely fit my DS650 and her old Warrior. When we looked at getting her a new Raptor 700, they would theoretically fit but it would be very tight. The problem was that our garage door is only 88" wide and once the first quad was in, we were concerned that we couldn't get the second one in around the first one. With judicious quad selection, I think you can make the width work......my concern would still be the weight. And adding higher capacity axles won't make the frame any stronger....it will just make it so that the axles aren't overloaded. In addition, if you upgrade your axles to a higher load rating, make sure your tires are upgraded to the higher anticipated load also. The typical 16" tire 124/126 load rating will not handle an 8000 lb axle load. You will need to upgrade to at least 129 load rated tires (if they are made for 16" wheels). We upgraded our tires and wheels to Goodyear G114 215/75R17.5 with a 135 load rating. The 135 ratings is overkill but I can always run a lower pressure and still have plenty of load capacity.

And removing the beds in the garage is a good option for increasing CCC. We carry an inflatable bed to use in the garage for when we have company.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #23

Quads in raptor

2007 Raptor 299mp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130730_161327_797.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	266396  
Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #24

Quote:
So how did you upgrade your axles? Hubby is a mechanic, is it something he could do?
I bought the Kit from Performance Trailer Braking. It came with 2- 800# Dexter axles and springs. The disc brake kit with Kodiak rotors and ceramic brake pads and brake rite hydraulic actuator. I also added the x factor braces and heavy duty wet bolt shackle kit and larger ST235/85R16 Sailun tires rated at 4400lb per tire. I only replaced the tires because they were worn and ready and didn't cost much more than the original size. Over all satisfied with the new ride fully loaded with 1 Honda foreman and 1 Honda Rubicon. Not sure what the total weight is yet but I'm sure I'm over the 17000lb GVW rating of the Trailer.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #25

Quote:
I bought the Kit from Performance Trailer Braking. It came with 2- 800# Dexter axles and springs. The disc brake kit with Kodiak rotors and ceramic brake pads and brake rite hydraulic actuator. I also added the x factor braces and heavy duty wet bolt shackle kit and larger ST235/85R16 Sailun tires rated at 4400lb per tire. I only replaced the tires because they were worn and ready and didn't cost much more than the original size. Over all satisfied with the new ride fully loaded with 1 Honda foreman and 1 Honda Rubicon. Not sure what the total weight is yet but I'm sure I'm over the 17000lb GVW rating of the Trailer.
I meant 8000# axles I also added the Comfort Ride Shock system.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 AM   #26

Quote:
I meant 8000# axles I also added the Comfort Ride Shock system.
Did you do anything to beef up the frame? A friend of hubbys broke the frame on his trailer, do not know what he was carrying or brand of trailer or age. Your two quads are much lighter than our Pioneer. Thanks for the info. I just wished they made stronger units if it's a toyhauler without going large. Even then they have small CCC.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Did you do anything to beef up the frame? A friend of hubbys broke the frame on his trailer, do not know what he was carrying or brand of trailer or age. Your two quads are much lighter than our Pioneer. Thanks for the info. I just wished they made stronger units if it's a toyhauler without going large. Even then they have small CCC.
If you look at coaches just 2 or 3 feet longer than the 39’ Fuzion you can find several options triple axle with 21k GVWR. This will give you the best CCC selection. You will not regret going triple axle. 2 axle fiver toy haulers are not for hauling heavy toys. They are better suited for a single bike or a light golf cart. They also always have less axle rating than GVWR. I have seen MANY 2 axle toy haulers with collapsed leaf springs, sheared hangers, and ballooned tire sidewalls. While it can happen to anyone it is commonplace on the big 2 axle fiver/haulers. The 351 Momentum is notorious for this issue and I have seen 3 firsthand with flattened leaf springs.

I would like to point out I am not blaming or “dissing” the 2 axle trailers. These issues are commonly from the owners overloading, which is very easy to do on these lower rated fivers.

Rubirose- we like the same things you do . We would consider you a “heavy hauler” with some very cool toys. Just putting some advice garnered from 7 years of toy hauling 3 of that full time.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Our scaling has shown that a 1350lbs RZR in a Cyclone 3611 takes 900lbs off the Pin weight and adds 2250lbs (1350+900) to the puny 7,000lbs axles.
very good info there! must be a 570 rzr or something to be that light. most all the new rzr 1000 are 1700 lbs these days. based on hyour info one can see how that extra toy weight starts stacking up and where.

Tags
keystone, momentum