Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #1

Landing Gear / Uneven Ground

I have a question about using landing gear on slightly uneven ground. I always do my best to level the trailer before dropping the landing gear but there are times where I am off slightly.

If I add an extra leveling block or 1x4 then I am off an equal amount in the other direction. It’s usually a variation of about 1/2 a pin hole plus or minus on either side. When I extend the landing gear one side will end up coming under tension for a second or two before the other.

Is this a problem? I imagine I am lifting all the weight of the trailer with the one leg for that second or two until the other leg comes under tension which I realize is a no no. But then I cant imagine most are that precise with their side to side leveling prior to extending the landing gear. What say you?

Thanks.
Desert2River is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 11:28 PM   #2

Bump (sorry if not allowed)
Old 12-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

I installed an extra inline switch on one side so I can turn off, raise or lower other side with main switch until legs are even. Turn additional switch back on and raise her up.
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #4

You did not say if you are talking electric or hydraulic system. I f hydraulic they will level themselves out. If electric you need to use the drop legs and small boards if necessary.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRetired View Post
I installed an extra inline switch on one side so I can turn off, raise or lower other side with main switch until legs are even. Turn additional switch back on and raise her up.
Great idea. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2020, 12:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
You did not say if you are talking electric or hydraulic system. I f hydraulic they will level themselves out. If electric you need to use the drop legs and small boards if necessary.
Electric and that’s what I suspected. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #7

If you will post in the signature line your RV information that will help responders give better information. I carry a variety of boards to first get the trailer level side to side, then when dropping the landing gear use appropriate stacks to get that level also. I try not to extend the legs too far to improve stability. These procedures apply for me regardless if I have a leveling system or regular manual legs.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote