Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 01:29 AM   #1

Let the Projects Begin!

Hey All,

New to the forum and will likely need some help as I am making some big (at least to me) upgrades and modifications to my 2017 Attitude 32GSG. Primarily go to the popular SoCal Dune Locations and most Off Road Racing Events (KOH, BITD, BITW, LORS, ect.) all dry camping/boon docking or whatever you chose to call it. I have 2 cars I haul inside the trailer depending on the season and location. I have a PreRunner RZR XP41K that spent most it’s early life running BITD races but is now just an under powered grocery getter. I also have a LS Powered Mid-Engine 2 Seat fun car for the dunes. Long story longer, upgrades to my trailer that I plan to start this weekend:

Diesel Heater(s) x2 (Frequently below freezing In the high desert)
On board air compressor w/reel and 65’ hose. (So I can air up and down as needed and run impact tools and air tools)
Belly storage area build 71” x 28” x 8” (should hold my outdoor rugs and few other items)
Replace 2 broken front stabilizers jacks that broke (welds broke) with new scissor jacks (last trip last season welds broke leaving a gas station)
13000lbs winch install inside trailer (cars break and their heavy)
Curb Side aluminum folding work station install on trailer (12” x 96”) (if this works it’s gonna be sick!)
Leveling block under belly drop down storage rack (need more storage space and the blocks take up a ton of room)
Slide Out front storage tray (like others have built, just easier access to everything)
3-12V power ports (USB, 12V plug) starting the Gen to charge a phone is annoying and friends have CPAP machines that need power all night.
2-Jackery 120V A/C power boxes (still easier and cheaper than an inverter IMHO)
Keyless main door lock (Only doing one door, if it last more than a season I’ll do the other one)
Motion sensor drawer lights (it’s a wife request)
Few other little odds and ends that I need to work on. Either way this a full weekend or two worth of work. Should be a good time!

Ordered some other little odds and ends that I’m sure will require at least 3 trips back and forth to Lowe’s.

I’ll post some pictures if I can figure out how or anyone wants to see how it goes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 11:15 PM   #2

Lotsa good projects goin on there! The winch certainly piqued my interest . My toy hauler (and toys) are a lot smaller but I know I'm no longer hoss enough to push a 750lb busted 4whlr up my ramp and was contemplating building an attachment into the floor just forward of the cargo area for a portable winch. Would a fella need to weld in a crossbar between the frame rails and install something like a B&W ball receiver through the floor for my winch attachment? Sweetie certainly wouldn't go for a permanent toe knocker sticking up in front of the cooking area and a floor insert would cover it flat. I'm pretty sure 4 screws into holding a D ring into an OSB floor might not be strong enough. Have ya seen this done this way or is this total overkill? Many thanks for the post and great ideas!!
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #3

Hey guys got a bit of work done.

Installled 2/3 12v multi switch panel (dual USB, Battery voltage, 12v plug)
Built my leveling block storage rack
Build sub floor belly storage area
1/2 diesel heaters installed
1/3 out door mounted folding work tables installed
On board air system with 65’ hose installed
Under bed storage area clean up and organize completed

Winch will be the last project as it requires cutting the biggest holes. But since I have drilled at least 50 holes in the trailer over the last 3 weeks. No big deal

Help….how do I post pictures?
Old 08-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

Update!

Both Diesel heaters installed now and working great.
Cabinet motion lighting installed
3/3 12V power plugs installed
New level jacks installed on the front (factory welds broke on first set)
Cleaned up the air hose install and added a fair lead of sorts to route the hose better.
Still have 2 work tables to install, had to upgrade the anchors as the plastic ones couldn’t support much more than about 10-15 lbs. new metal anchors I can hold about 75lbs now which is plenty.

Found out during all my work my batteries (2-6V interstates) are toast. Likely a dead cell since I get 12.8-13.3 with the solar running until I put any load on them and they drop to 8V. Which has me thinking to upgrade to either 4-6V or 2-12V lithium just need to find out what the charging requirements are for lithium as I know there are some major differences.

Winch in the trailer is going to be a no go. Can’t find anywhere strong enough to through bolt to and where I can through bolt is worst possible place to Mount a winch. Ordered a front hitch Mount for the truck and have a plan to reverse winch a sand car into the traile with a snatch block and will just reinforce the winch points in the trailer.

Projects are coming to close, still working on posting pictures once I figure out how.

Tags
projects