Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #1

Lifted 5er. Is this a common problem?

When I got my new 2020 F350 Tremor my RV shop did not think I could pull out of the moderately sloped parking lot driveway. Clearance between the rear bed corners and the bottom of the trailer below the bedroom was about 4", and he was concerned that with the right combination of twist and slope I would hit the trailer and squish my new truck bed corner!

So he lifted the trailer with a 4" square tube welded to the frame above the spring mounts. The 5er was already over 13' before the lift, now we assume the overall height (A/C's) is just under 14'. Everything about having an even higher toyhauler is a PIA. Steps, ramp, trees, wires all are intimidating.

This truck is not greatly lifted, maybe 2" higher than a standard F350 4x4. With so many guys putting leveling/lift kits on their trucks, is the height above the bed a problem for many? I already am looking at new/larger 5er's, and I wondered if the height above the hitch is consistent between manufacturers, and how much clearance between bed and trailer is sufficient?

It's my first trailer ever, a used 2015 FR Stealth wa2812g, and I like it but it has been a very expensive endeavor since day one. Thanks to all who can chime in. Dave
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Thumbs up

If you had 4" of Clearence, an additional 4" seems like overkill. 2" of lift would have given you 6" of clearance which should be plenty. Going over 13'6" can pose problems.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Did they check to see if the hitch could be raised before they added the 4" lift to the trailer?
Plus going over the 13'6" could result in issues for you, especially if you hit something and you get measured and find out you are over 13'6". You should measure to see what your height is so you know what bridges, openings, etc... you can go thru safely. Just guessing at your height is not a good ideal.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #4

I posted this in another thread, Here is what RVIA has to say about legal roadway heights, https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...e%20Height.pdf

Going over those levels may easily cause you troubles with physics.

1 ton trucks, 5th wheel or gooseneck and lifted are not a good combination. The vast major are made for stock height. This size of truck is "out of level" empty but level out when used as intend by putting heavy loads in the back.

If your truck starts level and you put on a heavy load now you are back out of level and have likely unloaded your steering axle weight......
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Did they check to see if the hitch could be raised before they added the 4" lift to the trailer?
Plus going over the 13'6" could result in issues for you, especially if you hit something and you get measured and find out you are over 13'6". You should measure to see what your height is so you know what bridges, openings, etc... you can go thru safely. Just guessing at your height is not a good ideal.
I use the Andersen hitch, and it was easily adjusted to (and still is) maximum height. The shop who did the trailer lift did measure OA height with a long contractors level and tape measure. It was 13' 6", I believe, but there could be some deviation as the tape might not have been completely perpendicular. So we use 14' as a safe measurement for fuel station and overpass go/no go height.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I posted this in another thread, Here is what RVIA has to say about legal roadway heights, https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...e%20Height.pdf

Going over those levels may easily cause you troubles with physics.

1 ton trucks, 5th wheel or gooseneck and lifted are not a good combination. The vast major are made for stock height. This size of truck is "out of level" empty but level out when used as intend by putting heavy loads in the back.

If your truck starts level and you put on a heavy load now you are back out of level and have likely unloaded your steering axle weight......
The link was dead for me, but sounds pertinent.

My truck is neither lifted nor leveled, completely stock. But according to every single OTR truck coming at me at night, my very bright OEM LED low beams are way too high! Need bags!

BTW, my 5er toyhauler is under 15,000 GVWR.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #7

Here's the correct link:
https: // www.rvia.org/system/files/media/file/Maximum%20Vehicle%20Height.pdf

In case it gets mangled again here it is in plain text - change each -dot- to a period and the & to %20

www-dot-rvia-dot-org/system/files/media/file/Maximum&Vehicle&Height.pdf

The photo below is an example of what worries me... tunnels and bridges built before the standards were set...

I watched an RV go through that tunnel and the similar one further down the road... he had his wife in the toad drive ahead and block the road while he straddled the center line.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mountain Ave tunnel.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	314827  
Old 01-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #8

Call me an old fart but I question the wisdom of lifting a tow vehicle especially when that lift has a negative effect on other aspects such as bed clearance and legal height of the RV. Lifting a TV, oversized balloon type tires also have a negative effect on towing stability. I imagine some will jump in defending lifting as necessary in off-road applications but I also would imagine that those serious off-road applications would involve much smaller and shorter RVs.

Stock truck bedrail height is already challenging to 5th wheel towing.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We were told 6" was good. At slightly less I was able to touch the trailer to the truck box a couple times. Little damage was done as I tried to keep the truck going the same way (did not change steering angle) when clearance was tight.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:06 AM   #10

The 2017-2019 F-Series trucks were problematic enough.
2020 Ford LOWERED the 4x4/FX4 trucks due to demand, but left the Tremor the same height.
Then they added 35" tires to the Tremor - end result is its HIGHER then the 2017-2019 trucks.

So, yes, its a problem - you picked the tallest truck available from the factory - and while it looks cool, its not great for 5th wheel or gooseneck towing for the very same reason.
We also had to lift our 5er (axle flip) to get anywhere close to level with our 2017, its pretty common.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem