Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #71

Hi James,

Everything is great.....I was really disappointed we couldn't make Calnevore. I had to be out of town that week.

We'll definitely have to get together this summer.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #72

My WW doesn't have anywhere to store waste water fittings so I fabricated a compartment to hold them. I used expanded metal on the bottom and rear for ventilation and bought the door at a local RV supply store.

I also put together a removable water filter for use when we're staying where the water is supplied from a well.

The last mod is to the rear vents. We never used ours because flies and moths would soon fill the coach. I installed screens in them so now they will be usable.

BTW...I linked these pics from imageshack because the irv2 photo hosting is requiring "image approval". What a PITA....I guess I won't be using it anymore.

Wes
Old 06-17-2006, 04:29 AM   #73

I like your mods HD. How did you do the screen? Did you have to take the frame out to lay the screen in? Also, do you have to remove the filter when towing? Or does it not get effected by kicked up rocks or even speed bumps.

Nice work.

sjseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally posted by sjseng:
I like your mods HD. How did you do the screen? Did you have to take the frame out to lay the screen in? Also, do you have to remove the filter when towing? Or does it not get effected by kicked up rocks or even speed bumps.

Nice work.
Thanks......

The screens are an easy mod to do. I just removed the white trim piece you can see in the pic (you'll need a square drive screw driver) and sandwiched the screen between the trim and the 5 bar plate. My TH had clear silicone around the edge of the trim that I scraped off and reapplied when done.

I used studs and wing nuts to secure the water filter to the TH so it's easily removed. I didn't think it would hold up while on the road.

Wes
Old 06-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
Hey gang. I know it has been a while, life has kind of snuck up on us.
I saw this thread and wanted to throw this out there on something I did before our last trip.

This is an exhaust extention for the gen-set.

This is coming out of the bottom threw the tailpipe.

This is the top exhausting over the roofline of the trailer.

I did this last weekend and took it out to O'neill Park for two nights. I was really impressed. It didn't make the gen-set go silent, which is what I was hoping for, but it did make a big improvement. It cut the noise level down quite a bit and I didn't have to smell fuses. In fact, I ran the gen-set until about 11:00pm the last night without my neighbors even knowing I had it on, and they were in a tent. I guess I can't complain about that.

But mods are not all we have been up to. Deb in prego again, we will be expecting number 2 sometime in August. Another girl. I have to keep trying for that boy.

Sam is growing like a weed.

As you can see, this is her by the camp fire eatting s'mores.

Alrightly, good to be back
Rod

Rod, is that the o'neil park i see off the 91 fwy at the golf course ?. I have seen the signs, but never heard of anyone going there......how is it for a quick get away ?
KNUCKLEHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #76

[quote]Originally posted by KNUCKLEHEAD:
Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
Hey gang. I know it has been a while, life has kind of snuck up on us.
I saw this thread and wanted to throw this out there on something I did before our last trip.

This is an exhaust extention for the gen-set.

This is coming out of the bottom threw the tailpipe.

This is the top exhausting over the roofline of the trailer.

I did this last weekend and took it out to O'neill Park for two nights. I was really impressed. It didn't make the gen-set go silent, which is what I was hoping for, but it did make a big improvement. It cut the noise level down quite a bit and I didn't have to smell fuses. In fact, I ran the gen-set until about 11:00pm the last night without my neighbors even knowing I had it on, and they were in a tent. I guess I can't complain about that.

But mods are not all we have been up to. Deb in prego again, we will be expecting number 2 sometime in August. Another girl. I have to keep trying for that boy.

Sam is growing like a weed.

As you can see, this is her by the camp fire eatting s'mores.

Alrightly, good to be back
Rod

Rod, is that the o'neil park on trabuco canyon in orange ? how is it for a quick get away ?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #77

Yes, right in Trabuco Canyon. Only about twenty minutes from my driveway the the site. As far as a quick get-away, it was suprisingly plesent. Alot of stuff for kids, hiking and bike trails. There is one killer hill to get into the park that unless you tow a trailer you don't even think about, other than that, it's a good fix for the weekend.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #78

I need to try that place. I haven't been there since I was a kid.

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #79

Thanks for the input Rod !
Old 08-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #80

OK...a new mod...well...sort of...Howie inspired me to get the selectable fuel valve project done, but mine is a little different than his: our problem has been that we need BOTH tanks to draw from because we run the genset almost constantly when we're bookdocking (sound system, A/C...you know! ). I can live with the fuel station drawing off the 40gal tank. So I've added the same valve he got, but located it in the fuel station compartment so it's locked and a tad more convienent...

I could show you the plumbing, but then I'd have to shoot cha...

Actually, very easy mod...all I did was route the existing 1/4" fuel line from the 20gal tank, cut it in the appropriate spot so I'd have enough line to plumb it to the valve (had to re-route the fuel line so I could gain some line, but it was a good thing- those idiots tightened the zip-ties so much they were pinching the line), then run another line from the second port on the 40gal tank to the other inlet of the valve (only 3/8" like should have been used on the entire fuel system). Tough part was getting to the hose clamps (I had already built the valve assembly with all the fittings required for the hose ends) because the back end of the valve is tucked within the "C" channel frame, and there was plenty of other stuff to meander through to get to the clamps.

My original idea was to acquire one of those early Ford fuel tank selector valves and place it next to the fuel gauge in the kitchen, but I just didn't have the time to invest in hunting that system down, and especially getting it hooked up. So I opted to go with this...so far so good!!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #81

As Sean requested......

I've posted many of these in separate posts in the past...... I figured that since they're buried in the archives by now, some of the new toyhauler owners might be interested.
----------------------***************------------------

Installed the shutoff valve between the two water tanks. Now I can
fill one tank for short trips....... or fill both tanks and know exactly when
I've used my first 75 gallons and pace the water useage accordingly .

With the shut-off closed..... and adding 75 gallons,
Only the front tank fills and it has the sensors.
Therefore, the monitor will show full tank.

If I opened up the shut off and let the 75 gallons flow from the
front tank to the rear tank....... the monitors will show the tanks 1/2 full.

To prevent the bottom metal edge of the cargo openings from being dented by dragging the cluncky, heavy stuff
over them...... I screwed in a strip of wood about 1/4 inch higher than the metal edge.

I removed the trash bin that the factory provided and added a shelf for our "wine cellar"

Cutting off and Shorting the sewer line:

Buford's Pole Holder Mounted.. Attaching the "Live Wire Camp Marker Light".. Click Here for More Photos

How to Get Power to Buford's Pole (adding another 12V plug to the rear bed):

Split vinyl tube protecting upper shelf cloth ledge:

Adding additional heavy duty support to pantry slide shelves (Purchased a Home Depot):

How to carry 20 foot sewer hose: Cut off the end of the stock 10' hose
carrier and then the larger hose curls perfectly into a 5 gal. bucket.

Coiled Fabric Heating Ducts Covered and Protected in front storage area:

Protect wiring where it contacts metal frame:

Make sure your brake wires are out of harm's way. Tie them up high or
they might end up being crushed between the axle and frame.

Adding another mounting location for the small table:

Adding Reading Lights Over Master Bed..... Where to run the wires from:

Protecting the WW wood photo-finish at door handles. It's easily damaged
and this is a high contact area, especially if the wife and kids have long fingernails.
I went to TAP plastics and got some heavy duty vinyl and cut it to size.

For those too cheap to install an air conditioner in the master bedroom:

Adding more support to sagging water tank crossmembers:

Adding more storage space below the bed by making it deeper. Also
added a bit of a slope for better sleeping. It's lower at the foot of the bed.

Made Ramp Door Cables attached to Stainless steel eye bolt and Nut at Ramp.

INSTALLING A 1500 WATT INVERTER

Here are the photos and diagram of the install.

Purchased the XPower 1500 Xantrex
inverter at Costco...... $84.79

Performance and Physical Specifications for the XPower 1500.

******Electrical performance XPower 1500****
Maximum continuous output power 1500 W
Maximum -surge power 3000 W
Output voltage 115VAC RMS ± 10 VAC
Output waveform Modified Sine Wave
Output frequency 60Hz±4Hz
Input voltage 10.5-15.0 VDC
Low voltage alarm 11.OV
Low voltage cutout 10.5V
Overvoltage cutout 15.0V
Optimum effeciency 90%
No Load current draw <0.3ADC

*****Physical Specifications****
Physical XPower 1500
Length 13.9 inches
Width 6.0 inches
Height 3.0inches
Weight 5.6 Ibs

It works for the TV... even the toaster, vacuum, computer, hair dryer. (Not all at the same time)

Here is a very inexpensive way to do the inverter. The Weekend Warrior
factory option including the TV sets was $1800. :R

Inverter and cables $85
DPDT Switch $11
12V circuit breaker $35
Romex wire..... pennies

Here are some instructions I received in a private message. I then diagramed it along side the
diagram provided in the instruction manual provided with the 1500 Watt inverter

"Very simple to do. You will need the DPDT "center off" 20amp toggle switch, an electrical box, a cover plate made for toggle switches (or just get a blank one and drill the correct size hole) some romex wire (14/2 if it's a 15amp circuit) and a wire nut.

Mount the box where you want the switch.

Unhook the romex that comes off the breaker feeding the circuit you want "inverted" (unhook all three wires...white, black and ground) Now hook it up to the center contacts of the DPDT switch with black on one side, white on the other and leave the ground hanging free for now.

Then take a new piece of romex wire and hook it up to the same breaker you just unhooked in the same fashion with the black wire going to the breaker and the white going to the neutral bus bar and ground to ground bus. Take the other end of this wire and hook it to the bottom contacts on the switch with the black wire going to the same side as the previous, white to the other side and ground hanging free.

Then take another piece of romex and hook it to the top of the switch in the same fashion. Now you can wire nut all the grounds together. Then on the other end of this wire that you put on the top contacts attach a plug end and plug it into the inverter.

That is it. So, if you flip the switch up you will be feeding the center contacts (wire to outlets) from the inverter and if you flip the switch down you will be feeding from shorepower. There is no need to turn off the converter when using the inverter because you are only powering that one circuit and the converter will already be off as it is on another circuit. Just make sure the switch you get is "center off" so that it breaks the connection from one source before it makes the connection to another."

An easy upgrade for ya...... Lady Di convinced me
to put high end carpet pad under the carpet in the
living room area. Now it's just like the plush walk
in the front bedroom :C

Here are the photos showing how I can now access the 20 gallons of fuel in the generator fuel
tank and make it available to the fuel station.

All you need is some fittings, a 3 way shut off valve and hose.
You can purchase the valve at a hose shop or at a NAPA store.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #82

I assume the 20-gallon tank (plugged port) has a pick-up that goes to the bottom of the tank?

I don't have to insert anything to get the suction from the bottom of the tank right?

Got the 3-way valve last night.

I ordered the fittings and tubing at the same tme but, doesn't look like they'll make it before the weekend. I think I'll try to fab up the valve mtg. bracket this weekend and just get it under there.

Let me know about the pick-up.

Thanks
DuneMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #83

DuneMe:

First, welcome to iRV2!! Hope you'll enjoy this site.

I can now say from experience (even though Howie confirmed it for me) that the 40 gal tank's other port does suck from the bottom- we went through all the 40, and most of the 20 gal this weekend. I was hoping to get a hour-reading off the genset when we had to switch so I could tell everyone what kind of fuel mileage we got, but wasn't there to do it (see story on my "Fontucky" thread).

As far as the fittings and hose (you said tubing?), I got those at the same Napa Auto Parts store I got the valve at. One of the few times where I was able to make it only a 1-trip project.

Good luck with yours!!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #84

Hello - Thanks!

My plan is to use the 40-gal tank for race gas and the 20-gal for pump gas.

My DS and the Rail need Race Gas
Wife's Raptor and Daughter's quad + gen need pump gas.

My plan is to pump from the 20-gal for the fuel needs of the Wife's and Daughter's quads as well as the Gen. We don't use the Gen that much so, we should be fine with 20-gal between the gen and those quads.

I was under the trailer this weekend looking fixing a wiring issue with my left turn signals - found the connections to the axels had come loose causing some rubbing. . . fixed it. . .

While under there noticed the other port on the other side of the 20-gal tank. I have to assume there is a pick-up in there as it is on the opposite side as the gen pick-up is. I'll try it once I get the parts. Gonna have to wait a couple weekends though as I've got things going next weekend.

Hopefully it is like the 40-gal tank and has a pick-up on that opposite side.
DuneMe is offline   Reply With Quote