Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 09:06 AM   #29
Community Moderator

If your wheels are manufactured by Tredit, get in touch with them and see if they will assist in cost reimbursement.
I know several owners on the Heartland forum who have had an issue with cracked wheels and Tredit replaced all wheels at no charge.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #30

I doubt the wheel manufacture would warranty the wheels since the tires are rated more than the wheel. I have seen wheels, bearings, and axles fail due to the stress applied by a rigid tire with a rating exceeding the capacity of the wheel or axle.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I'm only seeing 3 pictures of the same wheel, I think he only lost one wheel. I wonder if TPMS would sound an alert, it's not really a pressure loss but a signal loss.
Also wondering if those wheels came on the trailer from the factory and how old they are and how many miles?
I had a wheel crack once on a 3/4 ton truck but didn't lose it.
TPMS says - "Um, you're not going to believe this, but..."
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #32

OMG
Another concern is who may have been hurt by a tire running down a road. In 2018, I was driving through Tennessee and that random tire was bouncing toward my Coach. As I slowed down and pulled over a car to the left of me also pulled over and hit my left front side. The tire bounced past us and finally veered off into the ditch. So that random tire that fell off something caused me 6000 dollars damage to my coach. So I do agree, you are lucky you arrived without damaging your 5th wheel. I hope no one else, unknown to you were affected also.
Eric
Eric50317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #33

That is down right crazy
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:58 PM   #34

I lost a complete wheel including the hub once while towing a tandem axle equipment trailer. The wheel came off because the outer bearing disintegrated. I was on a two lane road and when the wheel came off it rolled past my truck and eventually into the ditch. When the bearing disintegrated it allowed the hub to come off over the spindle nut. I was able to continue my journey to my destination ( about seven miles) on three wheels, even though I was hauling a 7000 lb. tractor.
Comanche59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:27 PM   #35

As others have mentioned, you are incredibly fortunate as negative possibilities are numerous with a catastrophic failure like that!!
My older brother is a claims adjuster for a major ins co. Years ago he was involved in a claim where a vehicle lost the entire wheel including the hub. The errant wheel rolled across a median strip, became airborne and smashed through a windshield of an oncoming car. Driver killed. Major lawsuit that went into millions.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:21 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
missing wheeel

It has never happened to me, but I recall that it happened to Kenny Rogers. He even wrote a song about it..."You picked a fine time to leave me, Loose Wheel"
richhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
Yes itís a tandem axle Raptor toy hauler with a gvw rating of 17,000 pounds. Yes we know how lucky we were and we all said a prayer thanking Jesus. The wheels are the ones that came with the trailer. Itís a 2018 model with about 25,000 miles on it. After checking all of the other wheels we found small cracks on two other wheels Iím in the habit of constantly checking the hub and tire temps. Never gave the wheels a 2 nd thought the new wheels I ordered have a weight rating of 4450 lb
I have been told at the factory it is axle weight plus pin weight as to what the total dry weight of the camper plus what you can carry. The tires hold up the camper, you donít add the pin weight, just the tires plus 10%. By that measure your tires are still overloaded. If you are running 16 inch rims then you need to move up to 17.5 inch rims.
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
I have been told at the factory it is axle weight plus pin weight as to what the total dry weight of the camper plus what you can carry. The tires hold up the camper, you donít add the pin weight, just the tires plus 10%. By that measure your tires are still overloaded. If you are running 16 inch rims then you need to move up to 17.5 inch rims.
The Saluns that came with the trailer were rated at 4,000lb per tire the tires currently installed are rated at4,400lb per tire or17,600lb that is more than the total gvw of the trailer and more than the 16,000lb axle capacity how can that be over loading the tires. Keep in mind I have never had a tire failure.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #39

Fatigue Life

Hello,
To qualify the following comments, I worked 32 yrs in the test lab of a commercial truck OEM. We would test components to determine the fatigue life. The first task was to determine the target fatigue life of the given component by measuring service loads and repeats from data collected on the road. The accumulation of various load amplitudes and number of repeats of these amplitudes equates to damage. This damage is accumulative. From my experience working with designers, I can say the designers of RV's have weight and cost targets to meet. Meaning they are required to remove as much material as possible, less material means less fatigue life. Since most RV's do not experience many miles, they are designed to have less fatigue life. Road data for vehicle suspensions can be as high as 2 times the weight above the springs. This explains why a friend's 5th whl axles were found to be bent. He was not overloaded, and the axles were rated appropriately, but we don't know the design margin the manufacturer used. All that to say, it's a good idea to inspect the axles for straightness, and the wheels for fatigue cracks (especially cast aluminum wheels).

Todd8
Todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
The Saluns that came with the trailer were rated at 4,000lb per tire the tires currently installed are rated at4,400lb per tire or17,600lb that is more than the total gvw of the trailer and more than the 16,000lb axle capacity how can that be over loading the tires. Keep in mind I have never had a tire failure.
The axle weight rating is not counted on what the tires are. At 17,000 plus 10 % for safety is more than the Sailun is rated at. I have Sailun tires on my Cedar Creek but total weight is 15,728 lbs
Old 08-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #41

Oh one more thing my Cedar Creek came from the factory with Goodyear G614 but the Goodyear’s were not rated for that much weight. Actually the government changed the weight rating on the tires after the camper was built
Old 08-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #42

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome to China. A lot of these wheels being used nowadays are from China. I would have a real good look at the rest of the wheels before going anywhere. And also the tires if you have not upgraded from China bombs.
sacrcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

« Happijac beds | - »