Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2022, 09:17 PM   #1

Morryde Independent Suspension Review

This is not a paid endorsement just personal observations on a product that should be standard on all 5th wheels over 14k.

Owner of 2021 Grand Design Momentum 395MS-R, full timers 6 years, have traveled with the Momentum from Oregon-Quartzsite area-Alaska-Indiana last two years with stock 7k axles and drum brakes. One leaf spring broke, another two where flattened, it always creaked and groaned and we didn't even have a toy in the garage. Drove over weight scales and it was always below 18k on weight.

I had never enjoyed towing it. It is towed by a 2019 F450 dually so the truck wasn't the issue just each time it would hit bad road conditions it was a terrible noisy earthquake over the sound of the diesel pulling it. You could feel every bump come back through to the truck from the suspension. Bridge transitions where terrible especially those that are well used bouncing bumps. I loved the trailer and the lifestyle but never the towing of this 5th wheel.

I made an appointment to get the Morryde Independent Suspension (IS) installed, originally it was going to be in April 2023, but as we were leaving Alaska in September for Grand Design warranty work at the GD plant, morryde called and said they could get us in on October while in the area. I jumped on the chance since it needed to have springs replaced that had been flattening and didn't want to replace springs and six months later replace them with the IS. We limped it to Elkart only losing one spring in Winnipeg.

I won't cover the process since there are numerous videos, which I highly recommend. Our 8k axle and Disc brake upgrade cost roughly 13k for the triple axle. Morryde was a wonderful company to work with and our time there was enjoyable.

The Morryde IS has finally made pulling our home enjoyable and stress free. I do not spend all my time watching the side mirrors seeing if the 5th wheel is leaning or crabbing on me. The only noise I hear is the sound of our Reese Gooseneck. The pictures below are what was taken off compared to what was put on, you can see the significant difference. The pictures should be the only proof needed for quality and performance of the IS compared to stock. They are beasts, they are the Kodiak grizzlies of the suspension world compared to the little panda bears that they replaced.

Leaving Elkhart we pulled all the way to Oregon on the I 80 and I 84. This may not be the worst road to tow on but it does have its problem areas and steep descents. For the last 2k miles I have thought the trailer was not behind me. The trucks dually rear end makes more movement than the trailer. I had to try really hard to get the IS to make any movement. I told morryde "Thank You" many times during this drive when the RV wouldn't be bouncing around due to bad road conditions.

I can not overstate the ability of the braking. The truck has always felt like it worked harder to stop the trailer even with the brake controller set higher than ever set on any previous trailer truck combo. With the disc brake you know that trailer will stop, really stop, not the white knuckle pray to god that you stop in time.

The Morryde IS should be standard on all 5th wheels over 14k in weight. Companies that do not make this standard are doing a disservice to the buyers. You pay a lot for one of the"Big Ones" why put it on a small inadequate suspension system and stopping 20k lbs with drum brakes.

It was worth every penny.
Attachment 380373Attachment 380374
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #2

Do you have to go to the factory to have it installed or do they have dealers also? I'm interested. I just bought a Grand design 376ths and was going to install shocks and disc brakes however just the parts not including labor for that is around 5,800.00 I installed myself on our previous raptor tandem trailer and forgot what it was like driving a trailer without shocks. The pillows wont even stay on the bed of the new trailer it rides so rough.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:32 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
Do you have to go to the factory to have it installed or do they have dealers also? I'm interested. I just bought a Grand design 376ths and was going to install shocks and disc brakes however just the parts not including labor for that is around 5,800.00 I installed myself on our previous raptor tandem trailer and forgot what it was like driving a trailer without shocks. The pillows wont even stay on the bed of the new trailer it rides so rough.
You need to go to the factory in Elkhart. They cut your old suspension off, measure and build your new IS System. MorRyde has a disc brake system they offer for the rigs. October 2020 when we had the IS System installed it was available in 4 different sizes:
For dual axel system it takes 2 days, for our tri-axel, we pulled in on Tuesday afternoon, and left on Friday at noon.
The MorRyde IS Suspension Owners Club was established during Halloween week 2020, the pic of the couple holding up the IS t-shirts is of my wife and myself.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:25 AM   #4

We have a 2015 Redwood RL-38 , I scaled it the day before I pulled into Elkhart to have IS installed. At that point with full fresh water tank I was at 16,600 pound on just the trailer. Fast forward started heading home after a disk brake and IS install it was just over 17,300 lbs. The ride improvement is AMAZING , we now leave the coffee maker sitting on the counter (its never moved) . None of the cabinets are open when we get to our destination and everything is the way it was left. Stopping power with disk brakes is much better then drum brakes. With drums stopping from 65mph was around 300' and scary in a panic to the point I would not drive any faster than the posted limits. Now with disk brakes I can keep up with traffic and stop from 65 in around 200' with no problem. The truck does about 1/2 of the braking and the trailer does the other half , before disks you could tell the truck was doing 70% of the work to stop. I had 7K axles and brakes in the trailer OEM and upgraded to 8K at Morryde. I had flat leaf springs and one broken wet bolt the day I pulled into Morryde , Thankfully I was able to get to the shop with out any temporary repairs ( that was spring of 2018) . I just inspected the wheel bearing and brake pads 4 season later , brake pads are at 50% so I replaced the pades with off the shelf car parts from my local parts store. the 215 pad set from a buick centry fits the Kodiac brake system . The trailer has been pulled around 15,000 miles since the installation so I am happy with the pad life. The wheel bearing still had nice clean blue grease but I repacked them anyways . So far 4 years of trouble-free service from My IS set up, WELL WORTH THE MONEY! In My opinion trailer over 14,000 lbs need more then leaf springs .
Old 11-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Our friends recently had this upgrade done by Henderson Alignment in Grants Pass Oregon. They were very pleased with the workmanship. Henderson has a great reputation and a loyal following.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, view