Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2005, 12:31 PM   #1

Looking at getting rid of our current 5er & maybe buying a featherlite or other more "carhauler" oriented toyhauler. My axles are flipped over to clear the truck & it's monty python's flying circus every time we try & load up the race car. Plus it's not long enough to load the wife's new MINI Cooper S if we wanted to take that along, so our situation's changing.
Looking for advice on "lowslung" trailers in a 5er configuration. And **** they must think pretty highly of those Featherlite's......

Cris
CrisinColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2005, 12:31 PM   #2

Looking at getting rid of our current 5er & maybe buying a featherlite or other more "carhauler" oriented toyhauler. My axles are flipped over to clear the truck & it's monty python's flying circus every time we try & load up the race car. Plus it's not long enough to load the wife's new MINI Cooper S if we wanted to take that along, so our situation's changing.
Looking for advice on "lowslung" trailers in a 5er configuration. And **** they must think pretty highly of those Featherlite's......

Cris
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #3

CC:

Hi there...welcome to our world! I'm afraid all of us need a tad more info to be able to suggest something that you can actually 'take to the bank'. What kinda race car? Weight? What does a Mini weight? What do you have to tow with? Any other toys you want to tag along? And do you usually boondock, or CG?

Inquiring minds Need to know!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:36 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Hi CrisinColorado
i remember you posted here a ways back in toyhauler area, but i can't remember what brand of toyhauler you have (or had.)
you have flipped the axles so you have a taller truck (4x4 ?), and i would have guessed you have a longish or low slung racecar to load which would explain the 'monty python's circus'. But the Mini's i would have thought are easy enough to load unless you are saying you are bringing the racecar AND the Mini.

When i read your post, i personally don't see Featherlite , i see built-out car-hauler, but is your comment on the "...they must think pretty highly of those Featherlite's....." was referring to price, i probably would be even more surprised at what a live-in car-hauler had to offer.

The toyhauler's floors seem to be inching a little higher as the years have gone by whereas a gooseneck car-hauler can be lower. (?)

Like Sean said, toss our inquiring minds something to work with,
Nice seeing you here again,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Cris

Maybe you could use something like this door winch that Race Trailer Products has to offer. When the front tires reach the hauler and the rear tires are on the door you just lift the door and pull it on in.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #6

Tom, that sure sounds like an alternative plan for sure.
With some ramp extensions it just might work.
We'll still need a new trailer though (or a really good chainsaw~)
The MINI is a couple feet too long.....would bang into the first cabinet, the one with the stove so it can't be torn out.

Read about that in toyhauler magazine a isuue or two back. The photos at the website you provided makes it crystal clear.

Took a while and preused your phot album. Great set up! Love the shop building.
How'd you like Hallet? S'posed to be a gorgeous track set up.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I appreciate the help.

Cris
Old 05-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Cris

Glad to help. Clearance is why I think I'll keep mine for awhile. With the 15" wheels and all it sets pretty low. Even with the corvettes the front jacks are enough most of the time to raise it enough to load and unload, course the Jeep isn't a problem.

Boy, I've run Hallett since the 80's. Since the Stephens boys bought it a few years ago they've really made some improvements, pretty nice facility. Used to run the 66 there until 93 when I switched it to drags only.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #8

.....call Carlos or his son Mike at Lawrenceburg Motoresports[AKA W&M Enterprises] and have them build what you want at what you want to pay for it....812-537-4656..... lawrencemotorsports@msn.com IIRC....geofkaye