Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2005, 05:47 AM   #1

I'm new to the toy hauler scene. Been looking for one to buy and saw one yesterday (Talon by Jayco) very nice but the dealer won't go lower then 29K. Everyone elce drops their price alot lower. Can someone tell me why? For my first trailer would it be wise to buy the cadi or start lower break into it w/a chevy? If so what should I get that's going to handle my three kids and dogs? I've been looking for a 26' toy hauler w/front sleeper for my wife and I. I have a Excurion 7.3 diesel to pull it with. Any advice that someone can help with??

Gil
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2005, 05:47 AM   #2

I'm new to the toy hauler scene. Been looking for one to buy and saw one yesterday (Talon by Jayco) very nice but the dealer won't go lower then 29K. Everyone elce drops their price alot lower. Can someone tell me why? For my first trailer would it be wise to buy the cadi or start lower break into it w/a chevy? If so what should I get that's going to handle my three kids and dogs? I've been looking for a 26' toy hauler w/front sleeper for my wife and I. I have a Excurion 7.3 diesel to pull it with. Any advice that someone can help with??

Gil
Old 06-13-2005, 06:00 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
That Talon has ssome nice features.
What model are you looking at for that 29K ?

And your question of Cadi or 'Dodge' first, well thats a good question. I'm not convinced you can go too wrong on that one. Just buy the right size for your family. Too small and you'll drop it after a year, but then I see a lot of people go right out the first time and buy too big. Hey, if you aren't hauling a sandrail and a rockband with you, not everyone needs a 45' trailer.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:

Hey, if you aren't hauling a sandrail and a rockband with you, not everyone needs a 45' trailer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome Gil! Fatdog's 100% on this...get just a tad over what you think you'll need, because you'll find some way to use it. But if you even had a inkling to get a car, make sure you plan that into your rig...

Happy hunting!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:39 AM   #5

FatDog- It's the Talon ZX T28A. They started 38K and marked it down on sale for 33K and by the time we left it was29+K. I was trying to stay @ 25K out the door. I would be more comfortable I'm putting 12K down.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:18 AM   #6

So it looks like you were eventually at a 24% discount, from $38 to $29, which is pretty good. Discounts hover tradionally somewhere in the 20% to 25%, but that is just a generalization of course. I see that taylon has a T24 which would come in a little cheaper but it didn't have the front bed which would be critical for a handful of people.
Keep on looking. But to me it looks like they tossed you a decent price.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #7

One more ? Between three the Talon, Weekend Warrior, or Tahoe Fury? Again can't decide on the Cadi or the Dodge ;o)
Old 06-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #8

Oh...minnow69:

Now you've opened a can of worms...RVs are like perfume- one just smells better to someone than the other! Kinda like debatin' Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge, ya know?!

I'm not familiar with the Talon, but I have friends who have Tahoes, and they have their issues, but who doesn't...I think you can tell by my screenname which I prefer- and I think most will agree they're worth the money.

Sean
Old 06-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #9

and the 'Caddy' vs. 'Howie's Chevy'
ehhh, sorry, the 'Caddy' vs. the 'Yugo' argument is an interesting way of looking at this Minnow.

You'll maybe never regret having some 'fancies' in your trailer while in the outback, but almost without exception everyone I know with a trailer who has the 'perfect' trailer is on his 2nd or 3rd trailer. I don't care which one they bought first. So maybe a 'Yugo' right off the bat will just save you some depreciation money when you trade it 2 or 3 years later.
BUT, i see no problem in just researching it well and getting a 'Caddy' and keeping it for 5 years. Except you are shopping trailer by price right now and you have kids so I presume your lifestyle will remain in a big state of change for a handful of years.
Bottom line: i would be willing to bet that any trailer you buy now, will be on the trade-in block a couple/few years from now.

check out all three of those brands you mentioned with a checklist. You will notice little differences. Check out axle ratings, type of frame (C-channel width and type), type of wall framing, and fit and finish. Considering you'll be trading up soon,
... what ARE you going to buy??

Dr. Laura
Old 06-14-2005, 07:31 AM   #10

"Dr. Laura"...tee hee!!

Fatdog's right...no matter what you buy, there will always be something better out there...we're on our 3rd, and it's our dream trailer (to Mike's point).

Sean
Old 06-14-2005, 08:25 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you aren't hauling a sandrail and a rockband with you, not everyone needs a 45' trailer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hummmmmm, wonder who he's talking about?????????

If you buy the right trailer the first time, you don't hafta trade every year or two, that is, unless you just want to.

Think about what you plan on doing in the future, what your needs will be, and buy accordingly, if you can work it into your budget. Otherwise, if you're not sure if you want a toy hauler or not, I'd find a used one and try it for awhile to decide and then go for a new one. That way you'll know what you want, need, and can't live without.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Dr. Laura </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FatDog.........Woody.........DR. Laura.

You wear many hats FatDog.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:49 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I'd find a used one and try it for awhile to decide and then go for a new one. That way you'll know what you want, need, and can't live without. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, that was a real good suggestion. I know a lot of people have concerns about buying used, but the value can be very high for the reduced amount of cash you spend.
I've sold a couple of my WW's used for good value, WWFan just sold his for a low price with a kept up good trailer. You can spend a 22' amount of money and get a 32' amount of trailer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FatDog.........Woody.........DR. Laura.
You wear many hats FatDog. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HD,
You're right, us three - FD, Woody, Laura - should be more careful at showing ourselves. It didn't do Walter Mitty much good either. I gotta reduce my stress level here at work.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #14

I would get the one that would offer the best re-sale value in a year, cuz it sound like you are already thinking about traidin' it in.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote